Where to go in Canada

Old Apr 12th, 2000, 08:42 AM
Krista

Where to go in Canada

My boyfriend and I would like to go to Canada this summer. We have only been to Niagra Falls (Canadian side), so we don't want to go back there. We are looking for Beautiful mountains and water to sightsee, we also would like to find some nice little pubs and entertainment, basically we are looking for scenic outdoors for daytime, and something to do at night. We live in New York, but don't mind flying to the West Coast. ANY SUGGESTIONS????

Old Apr 12th, 2000, 09:28 AM
JM

Mountains - Banff/Lake Louise/Jasper
Ocean +mountains - province of British Columbia - Vancouver,Sechelt(coastal area north of Vancouver),Vancouver Island - city of Victoria has ocean,pubs but no nearby mountains, also on Vancouver Island - drive to Tofino through mountains ending up at wild Pacific Ocean.
If you do not want to go as far as Alberta or British Columbia try Bruce Peninsula - about 4 hours from Niagra Falls - no mountains but a spectacular national park near Tobermory - crystal clear Georgian Bay water(cold but I swim in it in August), grottos, exotic rock formations,shipwrecks,not much in the way of pubs though. Hope this gives you some ideas.

Old Apr 12th, 2000, 02:54 PM
JM

Thanks for your response. Do you happen to know the name of the national park near Tobermory? Do you know if there are hiking trails? And you mention shipwrecks, is there scuba diving or snorkeling? As far as night life, we just don't want to be stuck to the hotel at night all the time. Thanks for the advise.

Old Apr 13th, 2000, 06:24 AM
JM

National Park is called - Bruce Peninsula National park - tons of hiking trails - stop at Park office in Tobermory. Hiking on both sides of peninsula - Georgian Bay side (Cyprus Lake,White Bluffs - cliffs,caves,rock formations;Lake huron side (Singing sands - Sandy beach,wild flowers,exotic plants(tiny orchids,pitcher plants); take a boat trip to Flower Pot island(the name describes the rock formations there)
Scuba Diving is excellent - Fathom Five National park(office in Tobermory) is an underwater park created to protect the many shipwrecks - some in VERY shallow water, some very deep; also incredible underwater rock formations - water is very clear. Snorkeling - excellent - go to Cyprus Lake Park - take Georgian Bay trail to Georgian Bay - lots of good snorkeling spots. Note - water can be very cold (but I go in every year) Water temp is directly related to weather and wind direction - water warms up when is has been hot for a week or two - I can usually start swimming around the middle of July and oddly enough - if it has been hot September can be great.
Night Life - Tobermory is not completely
dead at night - some nights there is entertainment at Little Tripp's.
Note: be aware that accomodation in Tobermory on weekends (especially long weekends) must be booked in advance in July and August.
If you have any more questions email me.

Old Apr 16th, 2000, 10:36 AM
kelly

You might want to try the Gaspé peninsula. The coastal region is extraordinary with its parks, cliffs, and breathtaking scenery. Gaspé, Percé Rock, and Bonaventure. Then head off to Prince Edward Island or Nova Scota (Halifax in particular). A real treat in the summer with many festivals

Old Apr 24th, 2000, 03:22 PM
chris

Vancouver, B.C. has what you want. There're the local mountains: Grouse, Seymour, and Cypress. You can also make a day (or more) trip to Whistler, B.C., which is approximately a 2-hour drive from Vancouver. Great pubs in Whistler and hiking trails that will take you to some spectacular views and running streams.

Old Apr 24th, 2000, 04:26 PM
Bob Brown

The most spectacular mountains in Canada outside of the Yukon Territory are along the Great Divide between Alberta and British Columbia. My recommendation for spectacular mountains would be as follows:

1. Fly to either Calgary or Edmonton, depending on price.
2. Rent a car and drive to Jasper (if you fly to Edmonton) or Banff (if you fly to Calgary). Around Banff there is a lot to see. Then there is Lake Louise and Moraine Lake. From Lake Louise drive north to Jasper along the Icefields Parkway. I rate this stretch of road the most scenic long drive in North America, south of the Yukon.
Stay a few nights in Jasper and then return home.
If you fly into Edmonton, visit Jasper first and drive south along the Icefields Parkway.
There are some other choice destinations, too. I can add to the above list if you want me too. I have spent 8 summer vacations in those mountains and have seen many beautiful sights.