Reload this Page >

Where to eat in Montreal

Search

Where to eat in Montreal

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 02:44 PM
Wendy

Where to eat in Montreal

My husband and I are going to Montreal in November for four days and are staying at Auberge du Vieux-Port. We are looking for restaurant suggestions in old Montreal as well as downtown area. Our friends tell us that the Remparts restaurant in the Auberge is great so we are planning on having dinner there one night, but do not know where to go the other nights. Any suggestions?

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 05:20 PM
tutu

Toque is the current favourite. Also try Laloux at 250 Pins St. East, breakfast at Le Petit Alep near Talon Market.

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 04:41 AM
curt

For a different treat try Chez Better in old Montreal. A very interesting place to eat, with the speciality being sausages from all over the world, served with the most delicious frites (french fries) and sauerkraut. Be sure to dip the fries in the mayonnaise that is served along with them. The beer selection is also great, with beers from all over the world to choose from. For a really good local beer try one called La Fin Du Monde, but be careful it is really strong. This is a really good place to eat.

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 03:58 PM
jill

Remparts is a serious expensive French restaurant, but very good.<BR>Auberge St Gabriel<BR>Toque-rue St Denis-always good<BR>Cafe Ferreira-rue Peel<BR>L'Express-rue St Denis

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 04:17 AM
Dee

Les Ramparts has always been very good, but on our last visit 3 of the 4 of us were disappointed with the meal.<BR><BR>Torque is good, but very expensive and we did not think it lived up to its reputation. <BR><BR>St Garbriel has 2 dining rooms. The one we were seated in was so loud and noisy we left without even ordering.<BR><BR>One of our favorites is Auberge Bonaparte. We have never been disappointed. However, I enjoy the lobster stew in vanilla sauce so much, I can't bring myself to ordering any other entree. It is also reasonably priced. Last visit 4 of us shared cavier, duck liver pate, 2 bottles of wine, 4 entrees, 3 souffles, 4 dessert wines and my husband also had vicchysoise (spelling?) for about $150 USD including a 20% tip.<BR><BR>Can't comment on the other suggestions.

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 05:15 AM
Fred

I had dinner at Bonaparte 2 weeks ago and after hearing such great comments, I was dissapointed. The service was very, very, very long and the meal was nothing special. The dessert however, was good and the pricing was reasonable.

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 06:15 AM
Dee

The $150 USD at Auberge Bonaparte was per couple. Service can be slow, but we don't like to be hurried.

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 11:27 AM
stan

Anyone tell me how $$$ is Cafe Ferreira?How much should I expect to pay for nice dinner with my lady-wine, appetizer, dinner, dessert?

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 11:31 AM
Louis

Ferreira is in 50$ pp range, with tips but no wine.

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 11:38 AM
Louis

Here are some of my personal favorites:<BR><BR>L'entrec&ocirc;te St-Jean (French-style steak and juliennes fries). De Maisonneuve & Peel. Reservations a must on week-ends.<BR><BR>DaVinci. Italian. Bishop near Ren&eacute;-L&eacute;vesque.<BR><BR>Les Halles: Classic French. Crescent near De Maisonneuve.<BR><BR>Piment Rouge: Chinese. Peel, on Place du Canada. More expensive than most chinese restaurants, but really elegant and excellent food.<BR><BR>Au petit extra: French Bistro. Ontario near Papineau. (reservations a must)<BR><BR>L'express: French Bistro. St-Denis near Rachel. (reservations a must)<BR><BR>Chez L&eacute;vesque: French Bistro. Laurier near du Parc.<BR><BR>Laurier BBQ: Montreal-style BBQ chicken. Laurier near du Parc. Inexpensive and good.<BR><BR>Taverne Magnan: Steak & Roast Beef. Charlevoix & St-Patrick. Danger: highly addictive.<BR><BR>Tokyo: Sushi. St-Paul near St-Fran&ccedil;ois-Xavier.<BR><BR>La Taverne Monkland: International Fusion. Monkland & Marcil.<BR><BR>Chang Krang: Chinese. Sherbrooke W, near Hampton. Excellent.<BR><BR>Le Muscadin: Italian. Notre-Dame, near McGill

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 03:57 PM
Wendy

Dee, what did you have at Les remparts that you did not like and were disappointed?

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 03:39 AM
Dee

I had the fish special which was a stripped bass. I have had the fish special before and thought it was very good and I love stripped bass. However, this time it just wasn't good. My husband had the pheasant which he thought was fairly good. One dinning companion had a differant fish dish which was just okay. One had the veal chop, which my husband had on previous visits, which was excellent. This was the first trip to Montreal for the other couple and both thought the Auberge Bonaparte was better. These people are world travelers and eat in better restaurants. Perhaps is was just a bad day for Les Ramparts because they really do have a good reputation and we enjoyed our dinner there on previous visits. I think it is worth trying. If you like veal, try the veal chop.

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 08:26 PM
Neil Newman

We were at Remparts a few weeks ago and found incredible. I had the Veal chop and my wife had the venison. Delicious! We are definitely going back next time up in Montreal. We had drinks at Verses, but did not have a chance to have dinner there. The ambience is beautiful though. And their martinis are fabulous. They bring the shaker and pour them in front of you. We were told by the concierge at our hotel that the food there was excellent.

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 11:16 AM
Cindy

Any nice little reasonably priced restaurants in Montreal with fantastic food? I travel to NYC often and find that there are hundreds and hundreds of little restaurants that have fantastic food and are very reasonably priced. I like to stay away from the expensive touristy restaurants. I wondered if a similar situation exists in Montreal...

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 01:23 PM
Barbara

Wendy: Just got back 2 days ago. did my homework before going between this site and Chowhound.com.Celebrated our 25th at Remparts.Had the lamb which was good, but I've had better. Service was fantastic and they couldn't do enough for us, we had a party of 6. we would definitely go back, but our favorite restaurant and dinning experience was at &quot;Milos&quot;. A Greek restaurant which service fish and family style. From the minute we walked in til we left it was fabulous! I tried a month ago to get into Toque and couldn't. Also for steak we went to &quot;Gibbys&quot; and everyone enjoyed it. The waitstaff at all 3 places couldn't do enough for us. Food is unbelievable in Montreal. Good luck.

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 03:16 PM
Darcy

Get a copy of Cheap Thrills Montreal. It is full of excellent and fun neighborhood restaurants, the places where the locals eat.

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 12:32 PM
ted

Where can we get a copy, my newstand has never heard of it.

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 12:38 PM
Darcy

I ordered my &quot;Cheap Thrills Montreal&quot; from www.amazon.com I have the second and third editions. I still use both. I am sure that you can also purchase a copy in Montreal. This little book has enhanced our many trips to Montreal so much!

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 12:51 PM
Ted

Appreciatee the fast answer to my question. Is it set up like my zagats for nyc, with actual diners? Up to date? Three of us driving up late this week. Figure on four hours or so.

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 03:22 PM
TC

Just back from Montreal. Our meal at Les Remparts was amazing. Seven people, and seven different meals and everyone raved. Ask for the &quot;fantasy desert&quot; - they put together samplings of three of the listed deserts. Same price as one regular desert. This is just one example of the little extras our waiter offered. He was a jewel. Our group consisted of travelers from both Canada and the US, many have done extensive International eating and they all ranked Les Remparts as a world class dining experience in every way. I can't imagine a better meal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -