Reload this Page >

What to see with 1 1/2 days in Jasper

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2001, 03:19 PM
terri

Planning to rent a car for the duration - arriving Jasper by train on a Saturday at 5pm, next Sundat - free, and catching the train (in Jasper) Monday at 12noon. Here are some questions:<BR><BR>1. Is it realistic to drive down to Lake Louise in one-day (assuming we use Jasper as a base).<BR><BR>2. Or we can overnight in Lake Louise (drive down upon arrival in Jasper). Spend the next day driving back to Jasper.<BR><BR>3. What are the Road conditions for someone who is not familiar with the area?<BR><BR>4. Planning this trip in September. Does the sun set later in the day?<BR><BR>I will be travelling with my mom on this trip. Although we'd love to make time on a short hikes along the way, the time constraints may not allow it. This is our first trip in the area. Any suggestions or advise will be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

Old Jun 24th, 2001, 06:10 PM
Bob Brown

It will be something like a 290 mile round trip, so it can be done.<BR>But you are not allowing enough time in my opinion. I guess it depends on what you want to see. I personally feel that the Icefields Parkway is the most scenic drive in North American, outside of Alaska. I guess my natural question then is this: Why spend so little time there? You are not going to see anything better.

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 09:24 PM
terri

Thanks Bob - I finally contacted a travel agent that might be able to extend our stay to 3 full days, &amp; 4 nights. The train arrives in Jasper - so we'll probably stay overnight &amp; spend a full day in the Jasper area. Spend overnight in Jasper &amp; take a leisure drive on the IceFields. Then make our way to Lake Louise &amp; overnight there, and soak up the scenery for another full day &amp; drive. Early drive to Calgary &amp; fly out.<BR><BR>I'm also going my homework to compare cost of renting a car, trip planning, and accomodation.<BR><BR>This is a great site full of great resource - I have a feeling this is going to be one of many visits to the Rockies.<BR><BR>Thanks again <BR>Terri

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 06:09 AM
Bob Brown

I may be partial, but the Icefields Parkway is full of things to walk and see. There are a couple of hidden gems along the way that only a few people know about. Panther Falls on Nigel Creek being one of them. Of course, you take a bath trying to see them because they gush with such ferocity and the terrain is such that the trail has to approach them closely to get a look.<BR>They are the highest falls in Banff National Park, but relatively unknown!!<BR>And you might want to take an ice coach tour onto the glacier. I did it once; it was fun, but the urge to repeat it has not come up the last 3 times I was there.<BR>And places like Peyto Lake, the Bow Glacier and Falls, some of the falls like Sunwapta and Athabasca are worth the effort.<BR>I hope you don't run into that rental car plague: the dreaded "drop" fee.<BR>We usually make circle trips from Calgary with our car because of it.<BR>But, I hope you agree with me that the Icefields Parkway is a gorgeous drive.<BR>I think one problem is that it is mile after mile of beauty. After half a day, even world class views look ordinary.<BR>

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 11:05 PM
Terri

Bob - good timing about your "car plague" experience. I just got the quote from the travel agent with rental car pick up from Jasper and drop off in Calgary - a whopping $250 USF!! (I'm from Southern Ca). I am aghast by this - but will look into other options (will contact the car rental place myself &amp; get AAA’s quote). We've decided to forego the VIA Rail Totem Class upgrade for our Prince Rupert-Jasper travel – using instead the extra funds for car rental &amp; hotel in Lake Louise &amp; the extra day in the Rockies. Anyways, I have read several threads in the site and saw your book recommendations. Once we’ve finalized our trip bookings, the book purchase will be next on the to-do-list. We will certainly have a hard time narrowing down our stops along the IceFields. Thank you for your wonderful insights and recommendation. We’ve driven in and around Yosemite National Park and Zion Monument (?) – there is so much beauty there as well, we can’t wait to have this introduction to the Canadian Rockies!

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 06:06 AM
Bob Brown

When you get the book by Patton and Robinson, there is a list of short walks at the end of most of the sections.<BR>I think the ones for Banff Park are outstanding. Look for the Falls of Beauty Creek. The last time I was there, about 3 years ago, the trail was still unmarked. The falls are worth the short walk to get there. You cannot get lost because of 2 factors:<BR>You follow the creek upstream and the trail, although unmarked, is fairly obvious. (There is no way to cross the creek without effort and the terrain is relatively flat in that area.)<BR>I think you will have a good trip.<BR>

Old Jun 29th, 2001, 08:15 AM
Dave

The Jasper/Banff trip with my family was the best vacation we ever had! The challenge of making the drive you mention is that you will want to stop at almost every corner in the road. The vistas and wildlife are so outstanding that it could take you 8 hours to go 200 miles.<BR><BR>This is the area where "it is not the destination, but the journey" is talking about!<BR><BR>Enjoy!