Reload this Page >

What to see: drive from Vancouver to Winnipeg

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 1999, 05:04 AM
KB

Driving from Vancouver to Winnipeg in July, probably on Route 1. Will stop in Banff/Lake Louise area for a while. East of there, what would be scenic or of interest? Is it worth spending a day in Calgary or Winnipeg? And is there anything but farms/ranches in between? Thanks!

Old Jun 5th, 1999, 11:37 AM
Wheaty

There is a ton of beautiful scenery across British Columbia and Alberta as far as Calgary. From Calgary to Winnipeg, it is virtually flat boring wheat fields. As far as spending a day in Calgary or Winnipeg depends on your schedule. If you have time than Calgary would be worth it. Winnipeg if time is of no consequence. <BR> <BR>I personally would take any extra time I had to enjoy the fabulous scenery between Vancouver and Calgary. I would fly from Calgary to Winnipeg to avoid the boredom.

Old Jun 6th, 1999, 07:54 AM
Bob Brown

The most spectacular part of the drive from Vancouver to Winnipeg is in the Canadian Rockies. East of Calgary, there is the the fabulous Royal Tyrrell Museum of Paleontology in Drumheller. <BR>There is also Dinosaur Provincial park in the Alberta Badlands east of Drumheller. The museum at Drumheller is worth a special trip, in my opinion, if you have any interest at all in how live on earth developed. The staff at the museum includes many of the world's foremost paleontologists, including Phil Curry, who ranks with the biggest names in the field. (Jack Horner at Mt. Stare at Bozeman, Paul Sereno at U Chicago being two who come to mind.) <BR> <BR>I can write at length about the wonders of the trip from Vancouver to Winnipeg via the attractions of the Canadian Rockies. My wife and I have been there 8 times and we are returning again this summer. If you wish, email me at my UGA address and I can go on for several paragraphs about the primary attractions. <BR> <BR>I will say this much now: the drive from Vancouver to Calgary traverses much that is beautiful in nature. I suggest a relatively convoluted drive that takes a route either north or south on the Icefields Parkway, from Lake Louise to Jasper. <BR> <BR>Just let me know what you are interested in and I can fill you in. <BR>

Old Jun 6th, 1999, 11:26 AM
Brian Kilgore

Everything, of course, depends on your interests. Calgary is worth at least a day, and I recommend Heritage Park. <BR> <BR>When you come from Banff to Calgary, consider driving through Cochrane, rther than on the main highway, or head even further north from Canmore, swinging north and east before heading south into Calgary. This will take you into some beautiful cowboy country. <BR>When you get to the Saskatchewan border, head south towards Cypress Hills and Fort Walsh. You'll feel you've travelled back one hundred years. There's a good transportation museum in Moose Jaw, and you may be ready for a good meal by the time you get to Regina. <BR>If you want a feel for how real Canadians built the country, head south-east from Regina along highway 48 through Montmartre, Glenavon and Kipling, and then connect back up with the TransCanada near the manitoba border. Moose Mountain Provincial Park, south of Kipling, has a medicine wheel. Saves flyng to England to see Stonehenge. <BR>Sorry, but I can't come up with anything good to see from the Sask-man. border to Winnipeg. <BR>Winnipeg has a good art gallery, a nice park where the rivers meet, some old trains on display, and, ifyou are lucky, the Northern Lights. Good ribs and fried onions at Tony Roma's. <BR>BAK <BR> <BR>