WHAT TO PACK FOR WINTER VISIT

May 7th, 2001, 12:49 AM
Riekie

WHAT TO PACK FOR WINTER VISIT

We will be visiting Calgary in Mid-Winter. What to pack? What to wear? Any advise please?

May 7th, 2001, 07:00 AM
dnorrie

Where are you from? Are you used to cold? It will be cold in December in Calgary and snowy. If you don't have boots and such (depending on where you live), it may be cheaper to buy them in Calgary. Good gloves, hat, warm jackets etc.

May 8th, 2001, 06:12 AM
Riekie

Thanks for the advise. We live in South-Africa and are not at all used to extreme cold weather.

May 29th, 2001, 08:44 AM
Ian

Not used to the cold...

It can get to -30 degrees celsius in Cal during Mid-Winter, so dress very warm.

Fleece is always a good idea, with a thick gore-tex shell. Buy thick socks and boots that are waterproof (Wet feet will freeze very quickly).

Buy mittens or gloves (I like mittens, keeps my fingers together and warm).

A touque is a necessity. Buy something thick that covers your ears well.

Pants: Snowpants might be a good idea for you, but most people make do with some longjohns and regular pants.

Check out "Mountain Equipment Co-op" store when you get here for a lot of this stuff.

Beleive me, if you're not used to the cold, buy more than what you need. Don't want you getting frostbite while you're in Canada.

Ian

May 29th, 2001, 08:50 AM
dnorrie

I find that a good North Face polar fleece jacket is all I need in winter but then I live here. But a jacket such as this will keep you extra warm if you wear it under or over another winter jacket. You may be able to get by with a vest but get a good quality. As I said, I like North Face - Mountain Equipment is a great suggestion. Snow pants if you are skiing. Long johns if skating but if you aren't going to be outside a great deal, you may be ok with wool pants. Jeans tend to get a bit cold when you aren't used to it.

One thing to remember, although we do get cold weather, it doesn't last the whole of the winter for the most part. Although I live south of Calgary where we get frequent chinooks and it is warmer on the whole, I believe that the extreme cold usually only lasts for a month or so. Sometimes we get very little cold weather as last winter.

Be prepared for a little of everything.

May 30th, 2001, 04:11 AM
Lisa

Speaking as a(n) (ex) South African, let me tell you, you won't know what has hit you in terms of cold. South African jackets/ windbreakers are not warm enough. We live in an area now that is not as cold as Calgary and when we get South African visitors in winter we have to lend them outerwear.

Bring layers also as the houses and buildings are all heated so you won't be cold indoors. Woolen gloves and jerseys are not adequate as the wind goes straight through them. You need fleece plus a really good jacket. If you are going to go skiing, you will need a waterproof jacket and waterproof ski pants. do not go skiing in jeans. They are not warm enough and will get wet and take forever to dry. Good waterproof boots with a rubber sole are also necessary. Try a hiking shop for outerwear. If you are skiing you will need long underwear that "wick's" moisture away and keeps you dry, not cotton as it retains moisture and takes forever to dry and you will be colder.

Definitely a hat too, most of the body heat is lost through the head.

Jun 1st, 2001, 02:57 PM
rand

I moved back from Johannesburg to Montreal in December many years ago. Your post brought back memories of just how cold I was. I recomend full silk underwear, longjohns and long sleeved top. Also jacket and overpants in windproof nylon. Hiking boots if you have them. The usual toque/gloves/scarf. When dressing think of anywhere a cold wind can seep in, it will.