Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

What to do with half a day in Montreal or Ottawa?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2003, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be on a quick driving trip the second week of September that will take me near both Montreal and Ottawa. Unfortunately, I'll only have about half a day free to sample local history/culture (not cuisine). What would those of you who are familiar with this area recommend as "don't miss" for someone with such limited time available?
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

The Canadian Museum of Civilization http://www.civilization.ca/cmc/cmce.asp is currently at the top of our list because it looks like it would give us a good introduction to Canada--and, hopefully, whet our appetites for a return visit. Comments?
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 03:01 PM

In Ottawa, I would agree with your decision to go to the Museum of Civilization which is actually across the river in the city of Gatineau, Quebec (formerly called Hull). Alternately, take a tour of the Parliament Buildings which are in Ottawa.

In Montreal, go to the quirky McCord Museum on Sherbrooke to get a great feel for colonial and contemporary Canadian history and issues, with that 'distinct' Québecois flavour!
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 06:19 AM

Also, in Montreal, do not miss the opportunity to walk around the Vieux Port/Old Town area.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 06:37 AM
BAK

I'd just go for a walk.

In Montreal, the Old Port neighborhood, where there are good restaurants, interesting stores, nice shops, old architecture, etc.....

In Ottawa, get yourself to the front of the Parliament buildings, and then visit them, the Photo museum under the Chateau Laurier Hotel (if you care about photos), the Byward market, which is next to the hotel, more or less, and then walk down to the National Gallery (the big "regular" art gallery.

That'll kill half a day with a variety of scenery, history, shopping, eating, etc.

BAK