What to do in Toronto

May 23rd, 2000, 09:36 AM
Michelle

What to do in Toronto

Hi! A friend and I will be visiting Toronto this weekend (May 27-30) and would like some input on the best things to do/see. This is the first visit for both of us, and we just decided last week to make the trip so I thought I'd try this to get some quick responses. We are staying downtown on Yonge St and are expecting most of our time will be spent close to the downtown area.

We would like to do some biking since Toronto seems to be a great area to do that - any suggestions on the better places to bike, and good places to rent bikes?

We also definitely plan on the CN Tower, and probably some shopping. Input on the best places to shop (probably mostly just window shopping)?? Any other sights that should not be missed?

How about the Toronto Islands, are those worth visiting? Are there biking/walking trails there at all?

As far as restaurants, good suggestions for Italian and/or Chinese places? Any other good general recommendations?

And for the bar scene, what are the best areas to go? We are looking for some fun places to hang out (crowds in the mid-20's or so). I have heard about a place called The Docks from a couple people - any feedback?

Wow - I think that's enough questions! I would appreciate any insight on the above, or any other good suggestions you might have. Thanks a lot!!

Michelle

May 23rd, 2000, 10:48 AM
Ariel

Biking - the Beaches, start at Lakeshore & Coxwell and head east.

Best window shopping is Yorkville - go to Avenue and Bloor and head north on Avenue 1-2 blocks and turn right.

My favourite brunch is Movenpick on York Street - Sundays.

The islands are definitly a thing to do. Take your bikes and the ferry to Wards Island, check out the small interesting houses there then head to the southern side of the island - away from Toronto and bike along the boardwalk. You can stop at a cafe on the way - a white house on our right. Eventually you will get to Centre Island and can keep going all the way to Hallan's Pt if you want - a nudist beach.

For the Club scene head to Queen & John Streets. Walking up to Richmond you'll see lots of clubs. The Docks have tons of different activities - volleyball, etc. Queen, John, Richmond is the traditional club scene.

May 23rd, 2000, 01:43 PM
Melanie

Message: Personally, the best and most selection for shopping is at Yorkdale. Make sure you go down to Harbourfront. If you'd like biking there also is quite amusing. Richmondhill is absolutely the total club scene. If you can, try to take a ferry to Centre Island. It's very neat. Have a great trip!!

May 24th, 2000, 11:05 AM
Mark

The island is very nice. Richmond Hill is way too far from downtown!

Bars with Dancing near Adelaide and John : Al Frisco's, Crocodile Rock,

Chinese - Sai Woo, Lichee Garden

Shopping - Eaton Centre, Queen street - walk west from yonge past university

have fun

Have Fun

May 24th, 2000, 01:13 PM
Susan

I can't really talk about dancing at the Docks, but I was there a couple of weeks ago on a Friday night after work with friends and the place was packed by the time I left around 8:30. So it looks like a popular spot. You also get a wonderful view back to the city.

May 25th, 2000, 01:22 PM
camillo

Queen street west of University and the Beaches (Queen street east by streetcar)haven't been mentioned yet for shopping/walking. How about a walk down Yonge St. from Bloor - its been cleaned up nicely lately. Or a walk on Yonge north of Eglinton for a more neighbourly shopping experience.
There is a bike route right up through the city into Forest Hill just to give you a flavour of the mid and up town residences and parks.

Italian restaurants? try my dad's - Sabatino's on Eglinton West (its uptown, 25 years, a little up-scale). Otherwise try the Kit Kat on King west between Peter & John or Verona or La Fenice or Milano all on that same block (which is in the club area already noted by someone - try them in that order) or Spinello's on Colburn. Or if you're uptown try Grazie on Yonge north of Eglinton. Or if you really want to blow your budget -Canoe, Jump, Rosewater, Zoom (these are the tops in the downtown core - not really Italian though). One could go on forever with great restaurants in Toronto.

I think its going to rain Sunday. Sorry.