Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

What to do in 2 days in calgary - Judy please help!

Old Jun 18th, 2006, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Finally at the end of my planning for the Rockies tour and am left with 2no full days in Calgary.

We will be arriving by coach on Thursday night and will have a Friday and saturday to spend in Calgary before flying home on Sunday morning.

I know this isn't ideal but our coach tour ends on Thursday and the next flight home to the UK isn't till Sunday.

We won't have a car but if there isn't anything to do in Calgary may consider hiring one and going back to Banff.

Judy,

I have now downloaded your entire website and what a great help it has been but is there anything else?

I have your 1/2 day downtown walk, the list of shopping suggestions and the other popular suggestion seems to be Heritage Park. (PS we miss the stampede)

We are staying on 5th Ave SW.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

TeddG

PS - We are there in August.
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 10:03 AM

I don't know if this is possible, but is there a Grey Line type of tour to Drumheller? The Royal Tyrrell Museum of Paleontology is well worth a visit.

Other than Heritage Park, my wife and I found several interesting places to visit in Calgary: the Devonian Gardens and, believe it or not, the grain museum close to the Stampede Grounds.
The grain museum perhaps is only of interest to those who have a consciousness of where their food comes from.

Possibly, you might attend a Canadian League football game if the Stampeders are in town.

I know you are used to driving on the left side of the road, but Canada outside of the big cities like Calgary are fairly easy to drive in. Drumheller is not a bad drive away.

Old Jun 18th, 2006, 12:50 PM

Hi TeddG,

Bob_brown's suggestions are great.

I believe a day trip to the Tyrrell Museum in Drumheller would be an excellent use of your time. Unfortunately the Tyrrell is super busy on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays in July and August. If you must visit the museum in July and August, it's best to visit it Monday through Thursday. If your schedule does not allow that, the next best thing is to be there as soon as the doors open at 9.00 p.m. or else wait to go through between 6.00 p.m. and 9.00 p.m. It probably would take you 2 hours to get from downtown Calgary to Drumheller, the town in which the Tyrrell Museum is located. I have to think some more how you might fit that into the rest of your itinerary.

The Glenbow Museum, which is on 8th Avenue / Stephen Avenue Walk, is good.

I like Heritage Park, which is a pioneer village in a southwestern residential district.

I don't know whether you're up for this or not, and I've never done it myself, but some people like riding the luge at Canada Olympic Park (COP), which is on the western outskirts of Calgary. It's possible to ride the luge even in summer because COP has an ice house.

I am fond of the small towns to the southwest of Calgary, towns like Bragg Creek, Turner Valley, Black Diamond and Longview. On one of your Calgary-based days, you could rent a car and do a variation of the Kananaskis itinerary that is shown on my website. You could drive from Calgary towards Banff on the TransCanada Highway (Hwy #1). Before you got to Canmore, you would reach the intersection with Hwy #40. You would turn south there, and drive through Kananaskis Country. It would be worth stopping at Upper and Lower Kananaskis Lakes. Then you could continue south over the Highwood Pass. The road would turn east and become Route 541. At Longview you would turn north onto Hwy #22 (also known as the Cowboy Trail). Then you would drive through Black Diamond, Turner Valley, Bragg Creek, and back to Calgary.

In order for me to answer your question fully, and to incorporate logistical suggestions regarding the Tyrrell Museum, it would help to know at what time your plane takes off on the Sunday.
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 04:13 AM
Original Poster

Bob/Judy.

Thanks for your help.

Friday and Saturday are definately the days we will be there and our flight leaves at about 12:00 midday on Sunday (from memory) which was what we wanted so we are not 'hanging' around on the Sunday waiting to go home. (I.e get up in the morning and leave for the airport)

The Mrs would kill me if i suggested going to a football match I can't even get her interested in the World Cup!

It's not so much driving on the 'right' but I do a lot of driving in the UK and it's nice just to be driven for a change so I can relax. But if it means missing something I will hire a car for the 2no days.

I will check out the greyline website they have been very helpful with getting around over places.

Thanks for your help.

Tedd