Reload this Page >

What are hoodoos?

Search

What are hoodoos?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 08:44 AM
Carolyn

What are hoodoos?

Just curious what hoodoos are in Banff? We are planning a trip there in July of 2002, and were curious. Also, where are the best hot springs?

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 10:13 AM
gary

Hoodoos are tall claylike cylanders created by wind erosion and are really more common in dryland areas like the Alberta Badlands or Zion Park in Utah. They're called hoodoos because of the sound the wind makes blowing through them which is sort of spooky.<BR><BR>I didn't know that there were any hoodoos in Banff itself but there is some in Kootney National Park and those are probably the ones you are referring to.<BR><BR>Speaking of Kootney National Park that's also where I believe the best Hot Springs are. Radium Hot Springs is just outside the South Entrance to Kootney and Fairmont Hot Springs is about 60 K's south of that. The Hot springs in Banff are usually very crowded and, IMHO, are not as high quality.

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 11:30 AM
anne

Should you not want to go to Kootenay, if you follow Tunnel Mountain Road from town out toward the camping area at Tunnel Mt., you can see hoodoos along the banks of the Bow River. I believe there is a pull off with viewing area at one point. <BR><BR>The Upper Hot Springs are fine too, if you're staying in town .. just go late at night, when most of the munchkins have retired! I believe they're open until 11 pm.

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 04:14 PM
traveller

Also there are hoodoos at Dinosaur Park in Southern Alberta. Well worth the time to visit. It is fantastic.

Old Nov 30th, 2001, 06:08 AM
Randy

In the townsite of Banff, on the tunnel mountain road, there is a trail leading to some hoodoo's You can see one from the road, across from Tunnel mountain campground.<BR>As far as hot springs, Banff is not the best, but are fine if it's just an addition to your Banff trip. Radium hot springs is definately the best in the national parks, however if you travel further afield to the west kootenays, you will find Ainsworth hot springs. This is my personal favourite, and probably the most unique hot spring experience. The hot spring is located in, what was originally, a silver mine shaft, at the turn of the last century. The cave is about seven feet high at the entrance, goes back about 50-60 feet back into the mountain. The water temperature inside the cave ranges from 103-107 degrees.