Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Wedding and Honeymoon - information from local folks greatly appreciated!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2003, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

My fiance and I are considering having our wedding (with a small group of people, maybe 10-20) in Banff or Lake Louise and spending time in Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper for our honeymoon in April or November 2004. I would appreciate any information you can share. Specifically:

1.) We are considering splurging to stay at the Fairmont Banff Springs or the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise for a couple of nights in order to have our wedding ceremony at one of these hotels. Would it be worth it? Would you recommend one over the other? Any other beautiful places you would recommend for the wedding and/or photographs in Banff or Lake Louise area?

2.) What other lodging places in Banff, Lake Louise, and Jasper would you recommend for our honeymoon which would be romantic, but less expensive and touristy than the Fairmont hotels?

3.) I really would like a wintery wedding. However, we also don't want to come at the height of the tourist season when it is most crowded and most expensive. Any idea whether the first week of April or end of November is a good choice? Will the lakes be frozen, will sleigh rides and dog sledding be available etc.? Are ski conditions usually okay this time of year?

4.)Could you recommend a nice restaurant for the celebration dinner? And for dancing/nightlife afterwards?

5.) If anyone has any experience with photographers, musicians, bakeries for the cake, beauty salons etc. I would love to hear about that too!

Thank you so much for your help!

Old Aug 11th, 2003, 01:38 PM

I do think it's more spectacular to have the ceremony at one of those hotels, although I don't know whether it's a requirement of the hotels that you stay at least one night. If the lake isn't frozen over, then I think Lake Louise is a prettier setting for wedding photos.

You will have to try the spa at the Banff Springs Hotel, you don't need to be a hotel guest to book an appointment. It really is beautiful and relaxing, you'll feel like a million bucks.

As for hotels other than the Fairmont. I personally don't think that the rooms in the Fairmont hotels are that special. I tend to like the more cozy, log cabin kind of rooms. The Buffalo Mountain Lodge Premier Room is very very nice http://www.buffalomountainlodge.com/bml/roomdesc.php. And also the log cabin of the Cathedral Mountain Lodge in Emerald Lake http://www.cathedralmountain.com/cabins.htm
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 10:41 AM

We just returned from that area and 2 hotels we stayed at had that romantic honeymoon ambience:

The Post Hotel in LL: the rooms have the cozy mountain cabin, ski lodge decor with a fireplace --very romantic.

The Rimrock Hotel in Banff has much more spacious elegant style rooms. The rooms with the best views are the premium rooms that look toward the valley with a balcony.
The lobby has a large beautiful lounge area with mountain views, a giant sized fireplace, with drinks and snacks served and live music. This and the 2 restaurants are very romantic settings and the spa and pool are also wonderful.

I would spend a honeymoon at either or both, the Post being smaller and cozier and the Rimrock being more spacious and elegant.

Re: wedding sites---

I was there in the summer and my first reaction to the lawn by the Lake at the Chateau LL and also the patio overlooking the river valley at the Banff Springs Hotel was: Wow, what great places to have an outdoor wedding. But in the winter either hotel has gorgeous interior rooms for weddings.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Mitmap and Monterey Bob -

Thank you so much for the helpful information you provided! I think my fiance and I are considering just what you recommended - spending just a couple of nights at either the Fairmont Banff Springs or Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise and having our ceremony there and then staying at other places for the rest of the honeymoon.

Thank you for the suggestions of the Post Hotel, Buffalo Mountain Lodge and Emerald Lake Lodge. From what I could find in my internet searches they certainly seem like great places (big thumbs up for the fireplaces and claw foot tub at the Buffalo Mountain Lodge!).

Thanks again!

Gwen

P.S. for montereybob...

Are you from monterey, CA? If so... I am going there for a work related trip and spending a couple additional days there. Anything that is a "must see"?!
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 01:11 PM

Gwendy,

Back in 2001, my fiancee (now wife) and I spent a great deal of time looking at having our wedding ceremony at either the Springs or the Chateau in the summer of 2002. We wanted a very intimate ceremony with limited guests (about 50). We found that at both hotels, once they found out how few guests we were planning on having, their interest in hosting us quickly disappeared.

After looking at a number of other possible venues in Canmore and Banff, we settled on Buffalo Mountain Lodge, as they had both indoor and outdoor options depending on the weather. If you haven't spoken with them yet, you may want to consider it.

[As an aside, we ended up foregoing the mountain wedding and went down to the Caribbean by ourselves to get married. Being an interfaith couple with family on both sides of the continent, the hassle just wasn't worth it].

We also found that none of the hotels were just willing to let us have the ceremony without having to have the reception/dinner there as well. Maybe it was just the time of year we wanted to have our wedding, but you will want to check this as well.

In terms of places to stay in the area, aside from the Buffalo Mountain Lodge, our favourite is one which has already been mentioned, the Rimrock Resort. In terms of quality of property, the Rimrock surpasses both the Springs and the Chateau, and is the equal of the Springs (but not quite as good as the Chateau) in terms of scenic views.

As other people have said, there are no guarantees in terms of weather in either November or April. It could be dry and plus 15, or six feet of snow and minus 20.

Good luck. IF you have any more questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Terry
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Terry,

Thanks for the very helpful, even if disappointing, info.

I have made some initial inquiries for information to both the Banff Springs and Chateau Lake Louise. When I noted that my party would be small, probably less than 20, they didn't seem to mind. Their response so far has been positive. I guess the difference might be because I was inquiring about the off-season (January, April or November).

I will definitely keep what you said in mind and look into the Buffalo Mountain Lodge more. Thanks!

Gwendy
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 05:35 PM

Gwen,

Yes I live in the Monterey CA area.

Must sees are:

Monterey Bay Aquarium

Carmel-by-the -Sea shopping village and beach

17 Mile drive through Pebble Beach

a walk through Point Lobos state reserve

a walk along the shore of Pacific Grove near the Lovers Point area.

a drive to Big Sur

Have Fun!
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 08:51 AM

Hello Gwendy,

Some notes on the weather in the Canadian Rockies in the off season (from an amateur photographer's perspective):

Chateau Lake Louise has beautiful large arched windows that overlook the lake. These would make a lovely backdrop for wedding photos.

NOVEMBER - could be snow or could be dry (lately it has been quite dry). Will definitely be frosty at night, so there could be mornings with frost on the trees. Because Lake Louise is at a high elevation, the trees around the lake are mostly evergreens. The lake may or may not be frozen, depending on the autumn weather (and wherther you are there early or late November).

JANUARY - will definitely be heaps of snow that will look gorgeous through the windows, especialy if it is sunny and clear.

APRIL - I think that this is the ugliest time of the year in Alberta. The snow is "old" and discoloured, or melting and in puddles, leaving dirt and debris behind, or there may be a spring blizzard of wet heavy stuff that brings life to a crawl. The lake itself will still be frozen over.

There are sleigh rides from the Chateau through the woods at the lakeshore to the "end" (other side) of the lake and back.

There is skating on the lake once it is frozen over.

There's also cross-country skiing on the lake itself, and of course downhill on the ski slopes "behind" Chateau Lake Louise (eastward across the valley and up the mountain).

I have seen dog sledders as well on the road "up" to Chateau Lake Louise from the Village.

Other lodging places to consider (all have websites, just do a "Google" search):
BANFF - Brewster's Mountain Lodge (right in the heart of Banff with heated underground parking, they may have "honeymoon packages" available)
LAKE LOUISE - Baker Creek Chalets, about 8 minutes drive from Lake Louise Village on the Bow Valley Parkway, cabins with all amenities innnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn pretty setting
JASPER - Becker's Chalets
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 09:09 AM

OOPS!! - My keyboard is acting up (especially "n&quot. SORRY!!

To finish my reply -

Baker Creek Chalets are very comfy and cozy (home-like, and in a pretty woods by the creek setting.

I started to mention "Becker's Chalets" in Jasper, but I just remembered that they are not open in the off season. Jasper Park Lodge is THE place to stay in Jasper, but it is very pricey. You may want to consider Jasper Inn Alpine Resort.

Congrats and happy wedding!!!
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 09:30 AM

From the time when Terrance wanted to have his wedding in Banff/LL to now, I think times have changed somewhat there due to the SARS stuff. From what I hear, SARS has had a huge impact on tourism in Banff/LL.

So, I would try it out myself nd try to negotiate prices and what you want. At the time Terrance wanted to have his wedding, tourism was huge, now it has dropped off somewhat.

I would never stay at the Chateau Lake Louise or the Banff Springs Hotel, very, very expensive, for what you get. The Post seems to be the best bet.

Try to negotiate prices now, Banff is hurting, tourism wise. The Asian tourists aren't coming.

Old Aug 15th, 2003, 09:43 AM

Gwendy -

Here are some useful wedding resource websites that you may want to check out:

www.banfflakelouise.com/generalinfo/wedding.html

www.discovercanmore.com

(Canmore is a mountain town about 20 minutes east of Banff townsite).

P.S. - Banff two days ago was as busy as ever, we were lucky to get a table for lunch at our favourite restaurant at 2:30 p.m. !!

However, it never hurts to negotiate rates.

Good Luck!!
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 08:09 PM

For an intimate small wedding with a beautiful mountain setting for photos and an excellent dinner afterwards . . . book the Point Cabin at Emerald Lake Lodge.

Nothing else can come close to the intimacy, the views, the dinner and the wine cellar at the Lodge.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all the information everyone!

Montereybob - thanks for the info. on Monterey too!

Borealis - thank you for the recommendations. The info. about the weather in April is disappointing

2jacks - wow, I hadn't realized SARS was having such an impact on tourism in Banff, as in Toronto. Thanks for the information.

Hydra - thank you for the information on Emerald Lake Lodge. It seems to get a lot of rave reviews!

Thanks again everyone,

Gwendy
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 08:47 PM
jvc

My wife and I just returned from our honeymoon trip. We took the Rocky Mountaineer Railtour from Vancouver to Jasper, then traveled to Lake Louise and finally Banff. We stayed at all the Fairmont Hotels in those four towns. By far the grandest of the hotels is Banff Springs. The best views is Lake Louise. The coziest, log-cabin environment was Jasper. Good luck with your wedding plans, we too had a small wedding. Please let me know if you have any specific questions about these hotels and the surroundings.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Hi JVC,

Congratulations to you and your wife

Thank you for the information and offer to provide more. You asked for it...!

I would love to hear more about your impressions of each of the hotels and honeymooning in the area in general.

I do have some specific questions I think you could help me with too:

Which town/hotel would you recommend for a wedding? I'm torn between the Chateau and Banff Springs. The Chateau Lake Louise really appeals to me. From the few pictures I have seen the design of the Chateau seems to be brighter and airier than the Banff Springs which seems a little darker, more formal. I only have a few photos to go on though so I may have a false impression.

Do you think our guests might enjoy Banff Springs more because there seems to be more things for them to enjoy in town than in the small town of Lake Louise(especially for the less "outdoorsy" folks!)?

I also learned that there is construction underway at the Chateau Lake Louise - was it bothersome?

Also, regarding the Fairmont Hotels in the area in general... They seem gorgeous and very romantic. My one concern... can they also be too formal or stuffy or did you find the staff and service to be friendly and accomodating? Do the crowds detract from the experience?

Thank you again for offering to share your insight!

Gwendy