Reload this Page >

weather/ activities on Vancouver Island

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2001, 03:05 PM
Danielle

Hello! My soon-to-be husband and I are planning our honeymoon; we would like to go to Vancouver Island but are unsure of the weather in Jan/ Feb and what activities or accomodations may be unavailable at this time of the year. We live in Seattle and so are accustomed to the usually NW Jan/ Feb weather here, but don't know how this may limit our trip on Vancouver Island. Any tips?

Old Jan 20th, 2001, 04:54 PM
dnorrie

Everytime I have been to "Vic", I have just winged it. If there is a convention in the city however, it can be dicy. I suspect that you could find out if that is the case by phoning an 800# sheraton or such and seeing if they are booked or if there are conventions going on at the time you are there. I found that there are absolutely beautiful hotels around the harbour in Vic that will rent you a 2 room suite for about $150/Cdn (even tho they say $250) if you negotiate. Say that you are a business person (I am and was in town on business) and you can walk through the harbour area and the antiques zone and the empress. Just a great city - so lovely. It will be a bit cool and humid but not much different from seattle. Have a good time.

Old Jan 20th, 2001, 05:41 PM
April

The weather is often tamer than Seattle's and it may not limit you at all. Just be aware if you head up the Malahat out of Victoria that snow can cover quickly. Victoria has had some frosty mornings this year, but not many. If you go to Long Beach and it's stormy, it could be fun! One thing to be aware of is that some ferry sailings can be cancelled due to wind. Oh, and afternoon tea at The Empress is cheaper at that time of year than in the summer.

Old Jan 20th, 2001, 06:22 PM
dnorrie

Tammy - great advice - I don't live in Vic but Alberta (colder here but not much this winter)- my son attended Royal Roads graduating with his BSc. 1 2 years ago and we found Sooke to be a great place to visit. Also, we have motorcycles and travelled north of Sooke to all of the little out of the way places like Port Hardy - so beautiful. But I hesitate to recommend to tourists as the roads can be a bit trying. What do you think?

Old Jan 21st, 2001, 09:08 AM
Danielle

Thanks for the great suggestions so far! Does anyone know if it is possible to kayak this time of year while staying on Vancouver Island and where might be the best places attempt it? Thanks.

Old Jan 22nd, 2001, 10:48 AM
rand

Here is the url regarding kayaking. <BR>http://www.oceanriver.com/ <BR>They could answer your questions. <BR>Regarding weather, Victoria has totally different temps than Seattle. When you are a balmy 43 we are a chilly 9. ha ha. Actually same temps but less rain here. On the west coast though, you can drown if you don't keep your mouth closed.