Reload this Page >

We Loved Toronto - What Other Canadian City Would We Enjoy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 10:55 AM
Dorrene

Visited Toronto in September and are thinking about another trip to Canada in October. We enjoyed the museums, shopping, dining, etc. and being able to get around Toronto with public transportation. Which other Canadian city would you recommend? I'm afraid I don't have any friends who have been to Canada to give me personal recommendations, so I thought I might check here. Thanks for any input.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 11:04 AM
Melissa

Depends on where is best for you, distance wise, but Montreal, Ottawa, and Vancouver would probibly be really good for you.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 11:06 AM
Karen

I don't know where you are coming from but Montreal has great shopping, great restaurants, theatre and more history than most places in Canada. Old Montreal cannot be beaten. Go in with an open mind - Learn how to say Bon Matin and Je ne parle pas le francais. Parle tu L'american? and you should have a fine time. Calgary is great too and only about 80 miles from Banff National Park and if you go that far you would have to go the extra 80 to see Banff. Enjoy my country!

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 11:10 AM
Dorrene

Wow!! That was a couple of fast replies. Thank you! We would be flying from Dallas. I will do additional research on the cities each of you so kindly listed..

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 11:21 AM
Caryn A.

You would enjoy Vancouver if you enjoyed Toronto. Especially Stanley Park where you can rent bikes and spend the day. If you have time drive up the coast to Whistler which just as beautiful! Breath taking views of Ocean on one side and mountains on the other!

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 12:06 PM
gary

It is an oversimplification but I would say go to Montreal to enrich your soul - go to Vancouver to reward your sences.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 12:12 PM
Daniel Williams

Quebec City is another one to consider; many great dining options in particular and perfectly do-able on public transportation. You'll feel almost transported to Europe without ever leaving the continent.<BR><BR>

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 12:56 PM
jan

Considering the time of year. I would definately say Victoria/Vancouver Island/Vancouver otherwise you may end up with some nasty weather. Also they are simply awesome.<BR>Let us know when you decide.Have fun!<BR>Check here<BR>http://www.bctravel.com/city1.html

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 12:57 PM
g mitchell

In this order:<BR>1.Vancouver --who in their right mind wouldn't enjoy<BR>2.Quebec City -- probably the most historiclly interesting and different city in North America.<BR>3.Montreal-different, but sometimes slightly rude native population.<BR>4.Victoria combine with a trip to Vancouver<BR><BR>enjoy, they are all quite different and charming in their own right.<BR>

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 01:31 PM
Spud

I have spent time in Montreal, Vancouver, Quebec City, Toronto and Halifax. I enjoyed them all but will return to Halifax again and again. The people are wonderful. It is a very unique city with a lot of character.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 07:57 AM
Warren

If you are coming from Dallas, I would recommend Vancouver. The ocean, the mountains, what more can I say. Victoria is a nice side trip.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 09:02 AM
Mara

What about Winnipeg? We have great festivals during the summer- Folkorama- where they have a wide assortment of cultures perform there dancing, food etc. Forks Market where the Assiniboine and Red river meet- great restaurants, unique shops. Great shopping, nightlife, children's mueseum. We are considered restaurant capital of North America- every type of food imaginable. Mueseum of Man and Nature gives you some insight to Manitoba's past. Outside of Winnipeg, beautiful lakes such as Lake Winnipeg- town of Gimili- many festivals, only 1 hour north of Winnipeg. Whiteshell Provincial Park- hour and half-2 hours east of Winnipeg- wonderful scenery. Hope this helps!

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 10:40 AM
Jack

Winnipeg. Eeeeks!

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 01:13 PM
Dorrene

Thanks again for all the wonderful comments. I am going to start researching the cities listed and check about weather in October, as well as flight costs. Thanks again for all the input. I truly appreciate it. It gives me a great starting point...

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 06:17 PM
Debbie

Definitely Vancouver! If you are from Dallas-you will love the scenery,food,shopping,etc. Although I have other favorite Canadian cities,Vancouver is the one city that my husband and I agree on that we could retire together in.Fall is fabulous there.Enjoy-

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 07:50 PM
4khansen

Never been to Vancouver but love to visit there. We did visit Montreal and Toronto in just the last couple of weeks. I must say I enjoyed Montreal much more than Toronto. Maybe we didn't know for sure what to do there, but even kiosk for information all they had was going to Niagara Falls or places outside of the city. Very little about things to do right in Toronto. Other than the CN Tower and maybe a lake cruise, otherwise we went down the boardwalk and shopped along Yonge street and the beach areas.<BR><BR>On the other hand Montreal was very unique and interesting. We ESPECIALLY enjoyed the Jardin Botanique du Montreal. Inexpensive and an awesome place to visit for beautiful nature, plants and flowers. Truly amazing. We also went to a Expos game and used the mass transit very easily despite not knowing any french.<BR><BR>Hope you have a good time wherever you go.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 08:31 AM
Pat

We just returned from Ottawa and loved it. Beautiful city, very walkable, lots of museums.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 07:02 AM
Jackie

Montreal is wonderful and we found the locals friendly and incredibly helpful. We speak virtually no French but please, please do not say Parle-tu. The french never use tu (you) when speaking to strangers. The correct expression is Parlez vous Anglais (parlay vu). Also, say bonjour, not bon matin. Great food, great people, great transportation system. Enjoy!

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 09:55 AM
Susan

Definitely try Ottawa and Vancouver, especially si vous ne parlez pas francais. Both are beautiful cities. Montreal and Quebec City are also lovely cities. Montreal has a fabulous metro system. I don't believe it's necessary, but it would help if you speak or understand or read French for both of these cities.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 05:44 AM
rex

Not in any order:<BR>Ottawa - just a beautiful city and so much to see and do. <BR>Montreal - the French infleunce and great places to eat and things to see<BR>Quebec City - a little slice of Europe/France in North America. This is a must visit city<BR>Vancouver -oh what scenery, what a pretty city<BR>Victoria - scones, fish and chips, double decker buses, England on the west coast and the wonderful Buchart Gardens - just a wonderful place<BR>Niagra on the Lake - just above Niagra Falls a pretty little town with great place to eat and shop<BR>No town, but the wine route on the lake between Toronto and Niagra on the Lake is wonderful with lots of good wineries to visit and sample the wines.<BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -