Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page > We have 8 hours between flights. Do we have time to visit Montreal?

We have 8 hours between flights. Do we have time to visit Montreal?

Oct 16th, 2004, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

We have 8 hours between flights. Do we have time to visit Montreal?

Our flight arrives at 11am and leaves at 7:55 pm. We haven't been to Montreal. Is it possible to get to old Montreal and back to the airport? We would like to have lunch and maybe shop a bit.

How long does it take to get from the Trudeau airport to old Montreal? What would the cost of a cab be? Will it be too rushed?

Thanks for your help.
Oct 16th, 2004, 09:09 AM

It can be done, probably, but what are you going to do about your bags?

It's about a 1/2 hour cab ride to Montreal from the airport. You need to factor in day of the week (rush hour), how long is it going to take you go throught immigration, cutoms, security, ticketing, etc.
Oct 16th, 2004, 03:00 PM

It's a great idea. Cab fare is a fixed $31 between airport and central Montreal which includes the old part. If it is a week day may I suggest Chez L'Epicier for lunch. http://www.chezlepicier.com/ Do allow for increased time to get back to the airport in rush hour traffic on week days.
Oct 17th, 2004, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. Our bags will be checked on to our final destination so we will just have to lug our carry ons.

Our two teenage daughters would like to get a little shopping in. Is old Montreal a good place to go?
Oct 17th, 2004, 07:37 PM

I wouldn't think that Old Montreal would be that interesting to teenagers.

If the teens want to shop, then Rue Ste. Catherine or Rue St. Denis are much better bets. Old Montreal is probably not that interesting to teens looking for shopping.
Oct 18th, 2004, 02:44 PM
Iza

We did that last year on our way to Paris. As soon as we got through passport control we took a cab to Old Montreal. Since the weather was good we walked around a little and had a nice lunch in one of the restaurants there. We then walked over to Rue Ste. Catherine (crossing through China town) and checked out a bunch of stores (mostly window shopping). We caught a cab there to take us back to the airport. Since our bags were already checked in we didn't have to worry about getting there very early. I don't remember the exact cost of the cab but thought it was about $50 (US) both ways.
Oct 18th, 2004, 02:47 PM
Iza

By the way our layover was 7 hours and we didn't feel rushed in any way. I am glad we got out of the airport and got to see a bit of Montreal.
Oct 18th, 2004, 03:06 PM

One place that I see LOTS of teenage girls in Montreal is the Twik department (ground floor front) of Simons on Ste. Catherine St. Mom will like the top floor and dad can look on the back part of the ground floor and the middle floor.

Search this Thread