Search

War???

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 06:21 AM
Ginny Swinson

War???

We were turned away at the "Cat" in Bar Harbor on 9-11. We would like to visit Lunenberg, Halifax and the Cabot Trail. Are the borders open? Is the cat running? Is the Scotia Prince running? E-mails to both got no replies. Will we be stranded there if there is another incident? What is happening to stranded tourists?

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 01:36 PM
haha

Those candians roast and eat stranded tourists, EH?

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 03:02 PM
traveller

Stranded tourists, I believe, have all been allowed to go home. I don't know about ferries but I think they are running. Anyone from the east care to comment? <BR> <BR>The borders are open and operating with some wait. Most people I know that have crossed in the west are experiencing few delays. They are more rigid about inspecting documents so, I would suggest that you bring a valid passport. <BR> <BR>As far as what might happen......well, who knows. You could be stranded again. It is anyone's guess but from what I understand, there are worse places to be stranded that eastern Canada. The stranded travellers had nothing but praise for how they were treated. So go ahead and plan your trip and have a good time.

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 04:59 PM
Robyn

The border was temporarily closed for half an hour on September 11th - pretty much every mode of mass transportation was cancelled that day. <BR> <BR>Things are getting back to normal now, however there's obviously higher security at the airports, and while the border is most definitely open, they're checking ID and searching every vehical, therefor it will take a bit of time to cross.

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 12:59 PM
jean

We were in Nova Scotia on Sept. 11. Everyone we came into contact with was so very nice to us. On the 12th we stopped several times to try to find out about border crossings. Strangers made telephone calls for us at no charge several times. I was overwhelmed at the kindness shown to us during this time. I was most impressed seeing Canadan flags flying at half staff. We had no trouble when we did cross the border. My hats off to our Canadan neighbors.