Visiting Quebec in December?

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 09:13 PM
Lauren

Visiting Quebec in December?

Hi Fodorites!

I really need your expert advice!

My husband and I are planning a surprise trip to Quebec for our best friend's 1st Anniversary in December (this will also be a long overdue vacation for us). We are looking at a long weekend from Dec. 5-9.

We live in New York, and will fly to save time.

So, I have a few questions...

- I would just like to know if we will fully be able to appreciate Quebec in December - ie, will it be too cold to walk around this charming old city? Will we feel the need to to rush indoors all time?

- I have seen pictures, and Quebec looks like a Winter Wonderland at this time of year - that is what we would really love to experience, but I just want to know if there are some harsh realities that I am not expecting... Will we be OK if we just bundle up and set out?

- Also, will we need a car, or can we rely on taxis - is it too expensive?

- Lastly, I am looking at the Chateau Frontenac and the Hotel Dominion - any advice as to which is in a better position to experience Quebec's gorgeous vistas and great restaurants that I have read about here?

Thank you SO MUCH for all the help and advice that you can provide!

Kind Regards,
Lauren and Rich

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 09:25 AM
DianeG

Hi Lauren!

Snow on the ground is not always a given for Quebec City in early December. It all depends on the year. There's often the first big snowstorm that happens around then and the snow will stay after that. All I mean to say is that you may or may not experience a "Winter Wonderland" so early in the season.

The good thing is that it shouldn't be bitterly cold at this time either and you should be able to walk around to your heart's content.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 04:41 PM
Lori

Hi Lauren,

My name is Lori and I'll be traveling solo (with my little dog Lucy happily wagging her tail behind me) to Quebec and Montreal from Dec. 23- Dec. 30.

I know it's strange that I'll be traveling alone during the holiday week, but I need this time to myself.

I'm staying at the Lowes Le Concorde in Quebec. This hotel has wonderful reviews from people who have stayed there previously as well as great reviews from Fodor's, Frommer's and Concierge.com.

I'm planning on having wonderful food and wine, snowmobile and dogsled and to simply meet peopleand enjoy the city.

I met a very nice couple in Negril, Jamaica a few weeks ago who happen to live in Montreal. I'll be meeting with them that week for dinner.

If you and your husband need any more info, feel free to contact me (or if you have any suggestions for me re: things to do) at Lowes Le Concorde in Quebec.

Congratulations on your friends 1st anniversary! What a beautiful surprise for them!

Lori Sase and her little dog, Lucy.

Old Nov 16th, 2006, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Lauren,

I am looking at the Fodor's site and I came upon your forum. I will be traveling in Dec 23-26 all alone and I am wondering if it will be lonely for a single person. Please reply.
Lorna
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 01:22 PM

Dominion is in lower town and the Chateau is in upper. We have only stayed at Dominion which we loved! The room was spacious and extremely comfortable. We had a lovely view of the hill above lower town from our room. I think for the price difference I'd go with Dominion and head up to the Chateau for drinks or tea. The bar had some great seats by the window with w wonderful view of the river below.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 05:02 PM

As for hotels, we just got back from 4 days at Dominion and had a truly sublime expreience - gracious, super-competent staff and beautiful, luxurious rooms.

For food: check out Le Toast for an upscale, absolutely knock-your-socks off meal in a cool room with a warm welcome, and Lapin Saute and L'Ardoise for less expensive yet very, very good meals. All restos are in Lower Town.

Bon Voyage!