Victoria whale watching

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 06:14 AM
ava

Victoria whale watching

I will be visiting Vancouver Island from Sept 9 - 12. Is this a good time to go (is this "whale - watching season")? or am I better off spending my excursion money on something else, like a seaplane ride?
Thanks in advance!

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 07:35 AM
Marilyn Rice Davies

The population of killer whales is dropping. The pressure of whale watching tours is adding to their stress. A seaplane ride would be just as much fun and better for the whales.

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 11:02 PM
Bret

I just came back from B.C. and was able to see both Gray and Killer Whales from Tofino. I'm not sure exactly when, but at some point in the fall, the huge Grey Whale population will be making it's migration back down to Baja, making it possible to see many whales moving past west Vancouver Island. I'd try to plan my vacation around this event if it's at all possible.

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 05:22 AM
me

OR you could take a ferry to Port Angeles, Washington and make your way to the delighful Victorian town of Port Townsend, where you can find a variety of excellent whale watching outfitters. We were recently there and saw two pods of whales within our five hour cruise, then enjoyed the cool little town and dinner.

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 06:07 PM
Peter Hall

We visited Port Townsend last year-some nice old houses but populated mainly by superannuated hippies.

Rural WA state is no-one's idea of a relaxing vacation-too much poverty and inbreeding.

Ava-wait and see what the weather is like-if it's blowing hard you won't have much fun in a small boat.

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 06:25 PM
Throw

Good Lord, Peter, are you aristocracy?? Inbred!!
We just spent time in both RURAL Washington where the people were kind and friendly.
Per whale-watching, we saw many orcas out of Victoria

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 04:50 AM
Cindy

We were on a Washington State ferry a few years ago and there was an announcement that a pod of whales had been sighted off the starboard bow. Everybody went out on deck to watch them; they were magnificent. They stopped the boat for about 45 minutes and everyone just stood there in awe. There was a small whale-watching boat nearby (which was probably one of those inbred hippie things from Port Townsend, but the whales didn't seem to mind) and the orcas seemed to be frolicking around them. There must have been several dozen whales. So that's probably a good area to consider, provided you don't run into Peter.

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 04:52 AM
terry

Did some research and you will definitely see orcas from WHEREVER you take your trip.

In other words, find the best price because the outfitters ALL work together, alerting each other when they're spotted, and you WILL see whales.

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 06:28 AM
sandee

We spent some time on the Washington State Coast and found it lovely. Yes, there were some spots that looked a bit worn out, but hey, you see that anywhere.

Port Townsend was a wonderful two night stay, including whale watching and two great dinners. The Harborside Inn was delightful, as were the people.

Olympic National Park is in a class by itself, with the Hoh Rainforest, Hurricane Ridge and Crescent Lake.

Ocean Shores ocean front town gave us our beach fix. Altho we couldn't swim due to the rip-tides, we rode horses along the beach, strolled the cute shoppes and thoroughly enjoyed the Best Western Lighthouse Inn -- with its balcony overlooking the ocean, fireplace, and indoor pool.

And don't forget Mt Rainier, Mt. St. Helens, SEATTLE and lots more. We will DEFINITELY travel to Washington State again.