Reload this Page >

Victoria or Vancouver?

Search

Victoria or Vancouver?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 04:50 AM
lisa

Victoria or Vancouver?

We will be in Bellingham WA in late June and have 3 days to do the sights... One day we will travel to either Victoria or Vancouver. Any suggestions on which would be most enjoyable (2 adults, one 11 year old). Thanks in advance!

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 06:13 AM
John

Lisa, because the travel time will be much less, I'd say Vancouver will be the better bet. Try to get across the border as early in the morning as possible as it can become extremely congested in the summer. Stanley Park in Vancouver is a lot of fun for kids (as well as adults) and if your 11-YO enjoys such things, the aquarium in Stanley Park is IMO the best one I've ever seen, Boston, Monterey and Chicago included.

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 07:01 AM
lisa

Thanks John. Another question - do we do a ferry to Vancouver and take the car, or can we do it via foot and public transport? Also, do we need to bring a birth certif (at least for my daughter) or will Drivers licenses do? <BR> <BR>Thanks again.

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 07:40 AM
Robyn

&gt; Another question - do we do a ferry to Vancouver and take the car, or can we do it via foot and public transport? <BR> <BR>The Canadian border is only a 10-15 minute drive north of Bellingham, and once you enter through Canada, you're already in Greater Vancouver, but it takes another 45 minutes to drive to downtown Vancouver. There are no ferries, and it wouldn't make much sense if there were ferries from Bellingham to Vancouver as they're both on the mainland. Driving a car would be the easiest thing to do, but I know that there is the option of taking the bus. I believe Quick Shuttle (http://www.quickcoach.com) makes stops in Bellingham on its way to Vancouver from Seattle and vice versa. <BR> <BR>Here's a good map to give you an idea: http://www.andersenhouse.com/areamap.html <BR> <BR> <BR>&gt;Also, do we need to bring a birth certif (at least for my daughter) or will Drivers licenses do? <BR> <BR>If you're going to be driving through the border crossing, they'll ask you something along the lines of, "Nationality? Where are you from? Where are you going? How long will you be there?" - they might ask you if you have any weapons/guns if you're American coming into Canada as guns are prohibited in Canada... but otherwise, they'll more than likely just wave you on through. <BR> <BR>Saying that, they do have the right to question you and ask for proof of citizenship at any time they want. That hasn't happened to me yet. But just incase, I always bring my drivers license *and* my birth certificate. They need the drivers license for photo ID, and the birth certificate for proof of citizenship. (You need both, one alone won't work). Or if you happen to have a passport, this can work too because it has your photo ID, and it proves your citizenship - but passports aren't at all required. <BR> <BR>If you decide to take Quick Shuttle from Bellingham to Vancouver and back to Bellingham, the bus will make a 10 minute stop at the border so everyone can go through customs. This is where you'll definitely need proof of citizenship (drivers license with birth certificate or passport). It would be a good idea if everyone brings it, not just your daughter.

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 08:16 AM
John

Lisa, in addition to Robyn's suggestions, I can mention that there are several Greyhound bus departures from Bellingham to Van. daily, and one or two train departures on Amtrak. Vancouver has good public transportation but having a car is a real benefit for a one day trip because you can see more areas conveniently instead of spending your time learning the bus or skytrain schedules.

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 12:49 PM
lisa

Thanks. I'm a doofus. Of course, according to the map, Vancouver is just across the way. We'll have a rental car, but I think we'll borrow the bro-in law's car for the trip. Thanks for the tips.