VIA Rail fares.

Old Jul 30th, 2007, 03:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VIA Rail fares.

Having finally decided on Canada next year, instead of the US, I'm beginning to look into possilities. We have three weeks in June. West Coast or East has yet to be decided - he wants to go back to St Johns's, I want to see the Rockies and his cousin wants to see us in Toronto. Compromises must be made and we'll fight that one out soonish. When we have I'll be back with more questions no doubt. Though I've picked up lots of useful info already here.
Meanwhile I am looking at what train trips we could make to make a change from lots of driving. My DH will be 60 then, I will not. So he qualifies for a senior fare on the trains I assume. But can I travel on a senior companion fare or do I buy an adult fare?
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 05:13 AM

The companion of a senior travels free, regardless of the age of the companion. The downside of this is that the senior pays the regular rate with no discount for booking early. Nevertheless, it is a good deal. If you want a little luxury, travel VIA 1(first class). There you get free food, free wine and chocolates and bigger seats. The senior companion pays 25% of the senior fare in VIA 1.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick repy!
No doubt I'll be back in the next few weeks with heaps more questions. But this week we must decide East or West.....Pity we don't have enough time to do both in one trip and keep us both happy.
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 05:06 AM

Assume you've considered the fact that you could accomplish part of your goals by taking VIA's "Canadian" from Vancouver to Toronto. If you can, the Silver and Blue Class is definitely the way to go - as mentioned above sleeping accommodations, meals etc included. We've taken it a couple of times and thoroughly enjoyed it - great alternative to flying if you've got the time.
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

dfr4848 Yes the Canadian is one of the things I'm looking into.
Is there a problem with black fly in the west in June? I've heard they can be a right pain in the east. (Just another argument to put for the Rockies maybe )
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 09:30 AM

Of the many trips we've taken to the Rockies, we've never had a problem with black flies. Not to say they don't exist, we've just never run into them. [Now the Northern MN/Canadian border - that's another story!]