Vancouver, Victoria, Whistler

May 12th, 2000, 07:20 AM
Pam

Vancouver, Victoria, Whistler

Greetings,
My husband and I are traveling to Canada for our first anniversary. Fodors forum helped me with my honeymoon to Greece so, what better way to plan a trip again?! We are staying in Vancouver for a few nights, then driving to Whistler for a few nights and ending up in Victoria. We have been researching museums already. My question is outside activities in WHistler and Victoria. Has anyone done some great day hikes? Rafting? Biking? Any MUST DOES?!?! Please advise for any of the places. Also taking a plain or train to see the glaciers?!? Thanks - Pam

May 12th, 2000, 07:57 AM
sheri

Pam, when is your anniversary? I ask because the time of year will have an impact on what activities you might want to do. For instance, early summer is generally better for rafting, but hiking trails at higher elevations may still be snowed in.

A good, easy half day hike is the Cheakamus Lake trail just a few miles south of Whistler Village. There's also a long paved bike path (I believe it's called the Valley Trail).

In the Victoria area, I'd recommend heading west to and beyond Sooke. There's a park in Sooke with nice trails, and if you enjoy beach walking, you'll want to drive out toward the end of the road and check out the parks such as Botanical Beach, China Beach and French Beach. For biking, there's the Galloping Goose trail that I believe goes from Victoria out to Sooke (it's one of those rail to trail paths).

You might also want to try sea kayaking and/or whale watching in the Victoria area, depending on the time of year. Early summer is generally best for seeing the orcas.

Hope this gets you started with some ideas!

May 12th, 2000, 09:26 AM
Pam

Sheri,
Thanks for the many great ideas. We are going from August 25 - September 2.

May 12th, 2000, 01:42 PM
rand

Pam. You might want to save glaciers for your next trip and plan a vacation in the rockies next year. You can get your fill of hiking/biking in Whistler and Victoria or in the rockies, but according to my bcaa map, 11 hours driving seperates the two areas. With only one week you would probably want to experience things up close and not through a windshield. Bike rentals are plentiful in both locations.

May 13th, 2000, 01:10 AM
April

In Victoria, the Classic Boat Festival and the Saanich Fair will be on during that September weekend.

There are many places to walk and hike in and around Victoria such as:
- the 47 kilometre Juan de Fuca trail
- East Sooke Park
- around Beaver and Elk Lakes - a flat, easy walk although it may not be that fascinating
- Sidney Spit, a short ferry ride off Sidney where you can take a lunch to eat on the beach and walk the trails looking for fallow deer
- Mt. Doug in Victoria to see the view (or you can drive up)
- the trail at Witty's Lagoon in Metchosin which passes by Sitting Lady Falls on the way to the ocean. You could combine this with a visit to Hatley Park and castle.

Harbour Air offers some great sounding float plane tours. One from Vancouver is the Alpine Lakes & Glaciers tour, and out of Victoria is one called Great Mountains and the Wild West Coast. Not cheap.

May 13th, 2000, 06:36 AM
traveler

Staying at Sooke Harbour House is an absolute must. We stayed there in April and loved it. Perfect attention to all the little details that matter. Can't wait to return.

www.sookeharbourhouse.com