Reload this Page >

Vancouver/Victoria lodging choices

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 04:07 PM
Eve

Decisions, decisions ... <BR> <BR>Does anyone have any recommendations for lodging in Vancouver and Victoria? <BR> <BR>In Vancouver, I'm choosing between the Blue Horizon Hotel and Hotel Dakota. <BR> <BR>In Victoria, for a B&B, it's between Pitcairn House and Marketa's B&B. <BR> <BR>I can't find much posted about any of these places, but they have rooms open on my travel dates in Sept. and they're within my budget. <BR>

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 09:46 PM
sheri

Eve, based on location alone, I'd pick the Blue Horizon, hands down. It's right in the middle of things on Robson Street, while the Hotel Dakota is on a rather seedy stretch of Granville. <BR> <BR>I'm not familiar with either Victoria place.

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 06:31 AM
Ed

Just returned from Victoria and Vancouver. We're a family of four so our needs are different from yours. In Vancouver, stayed at the Westin which is right on the water. Ten minute walk to middle of town. We got a great price on Priceline. <BR> <BR>In Victoria, we really liked the Victoria Regency. It's a former apartment building converted into a hotel. Great location and excellent rooms.

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 09:30 PM
April

Of the two in Victoria, judging by location and outside impressions ONLY, I would choose Marketa's on Superior St. It might depend on where you want to be but Marketa is closer to the main attractions like the inner harbour, Empress Hotel, legislative buildings, etc., plus there is a nice waterfront walkway nearby (past the Laurel Point Inn). <BR> <BR>While the Pitcairn House may be a more interesting building, it would be a fair hike to those attractions... plus there is a condo building right behind it and a school yard next door. <BR> <BR>By the way, across from Marketa's is a more charming looking B&B called Ryan's. <BR> <BR>(A word of warning: If you're bringing a car, play it safe and always lock it and use an anti-theft device.)

Old Sep 1st, 2000, 12:43 PM
Staci

Hi Eve, <BR> <BR>We just spent the remainder of our honeymoon at the Lodge at Weir's Beach outside of Victoria and it was awesome. Right on the ocean and really nicely decorated rooms. We even saw killer whales right from the deck. It is a B&B type place with an excellent continental breakie. They have specials all the time and i think they are on-line. Anyhoo- good luck <BR> <BR>Staci

Old Sep 2nd, 2000, 10:10 PM
Kay

Eve, We stayed at the Blue Horizon in June and it was fine, the location was particularly good - close to shops and restaurants with a lively street atmosphere. The bus we caught from the airport dropped a couple off at the Dakota and my immediate thought was, I'm glad we're not staying in this area, it looked a bit seedy. Also, a word about the Airporter bus, in our experience it wasn't very reliable. We eventually got back to the airport to fly home, about an hour later than planned. <BR>

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 03:23 PM
Eve

Thanks, everyone. You are really helpful! <BR> <BR>Unfortunately, my travel plans changed somewhat, so now I'm not sure if I have time to go to Victoria at all. We'll be in Vancouver for three days, so I'm not sure if we should spend all three in Vancouver or try to spend one day and night in Victoria. I don't want to overdo it by cramming too much in (which I'm prone to do). <BR> <BR>We also had to change our travel dates. So the Blue Horizon doesn't have rooms on the new date. I'm glad to know about the Hotel Dakota being in a seedy neighborhood, though. <BR> <BR>I now have a room at the Hotel Vancouver, which sounds nice (though a bit more costly). <BR> <BR>-Eve

Old Sep 13th, 2000, 12:25 PM
Robyn

Hotel Vancouver is an old landmark building in Vancouver, and is <BR>probably the most central hotel in all of downtown <BR> - and probably one of the most prestigious hotels - well above the Blue <BR>Horizon & The Dakota Hotel combined... good choice! It will be well worth <BR>it, you'll see. <BR> <BR>There is a lot to see and do in Vancouver alone. <BR>3 days is usually what I'd suggest to people visiting here from out of town. <BR>3 days will give you a good taste of what the city has to offer. <BR>Be sure to spend a good portion of a day in Stanley Park and the Aquarium. <BR>You shouldn't miss Granville Island either. <BR>You should also try to hike around one of the local mountains <BR>(you can drive up to the top of Seymour & Cypress). The views alone <BR>are amazing - just be sure it's not cloudy, or else you won't be able to see the city below! <BR> <BR>Good luck!