Reload this Page >

Vancouver to Victoria to Seattle?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 01:23 PM
susan

My husband and I are taking a cruise that ends in Vancouver 7am on 9/16. We are flying back to NY from Sea-Tac early on 7/19. This leaves us 3 days to sightsee. We will be renting a car in Vancouver and returning it to Sea-Tac. Would it be do-able or crazy to spend one night each in Vancouver and Victoria? I guess the last night we'll have to stay in Seattle near the airport. We've stayed in Seattle before and spent one day last year in Victoria, but we've never been to Vancouver. (LOVED Victoria!) Would we do this by taking ferries? Should we just forget Victoria completely and concentrate on Vancouver? Also we're not able to walk any great distances--"an old war injury?"

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 03:21 PM
gary

Even two days is really not enough for Vancouver so if you've already done Victoria once best save this trip for the big city. But be warned that Vancouver is very different than Victoria as well as Seattle. It's a big cosmotolitan city with a strong Asian patina. It's also the most beautiful setting in North America and I reccomend that you stay in a hotel that takes advantage of that setting such as the Pan Pacific or the Westin Bayshore.<BR><BR> For an overview of the city take a Vancouver Trolley tour that lets you get on and off at the various sites then go back to places like Granville Island or the North Shore Mountains for

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 03:26 PM
gary

I wasn't finished for goodness sakes! As I was saying - take an early evening trip to Grouse Mountain and have dinner up there and watch the sunset over the city from a kilometre above it. If the weather is not great take in the Museum of Anthropology at UBC one of the best on the Aboriginal peoples that used to control this area. Tour busses and public transportation are available to all these sights so you won't need to walk any great distances although Vancouver is a great walking city.<BR><BR>Have a West Coast meal and an Asian, (Chinese, East Indian, Japanese, etc.), one because noplace does it as well as Vancouver. Have a ball!

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 05:13 PM
lisa

Gary, Is the Quillacum Restaurant still in Vancouver? We went several years ago. It is a native American restaurant and uses a lot of beautiful native American designed bowls. I'd recommend it as something that is really different, fitting for BC, and quite good. Only stay away from that frothy looking dessert. It tastes like shaving cream!

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 05:36 PM
gary

I couldn't find any 'Quillicum' restaurant in the phone book and I don't recall the name. Obviously it's no longer here.<BR><BR>I have to admit that your use of the term 'Native American' threw me off. Obviously in Canada we don't use that term. 'Aboriginal' or 'Native Nations' are the politically correct terms for those people we used to call 'Indians'. In fact the best Aboriginal 'restaurant' I've been to recently is on Grouse Mountain where a total West Coast Aboriginal meal and ceremony is performed. The meal is good - albeit a little skimpy and the entertainment is really good. Other Aboriginal restaurants include the very touristy Salmon House on the Hill in West Vancouver which I find has never lived up to its hype. Mostly West Coast Cuisine found in a number of restaurants served Aboriginal food with a more modern twist. My favorite is Rain City but Bishops is also excellant.

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 12:37 AM
Robyn

Another term commonly used is "First Nations". The Liliget Feast House on Davie Street would suit the description of the so-called Qualicum Restaurant.<BR><BR>http://www.liliget.com

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 04:42 PM
gary

That's what I meant to say - First Nations, not Native Nations.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 02:36 PM
lisa

Hadn't considered my terminology. Of course, "Native Americans" is the US term these days. The Canadian term, "First nations," is perhaps even better. The connotations are more equal.<BR><BR>Thanks for all the great information on Vancouver restaurants. We will have to visit soon!<BR><BR>By the way, and not to change the subject, but our children (in Oregon) are learning a lot about the "first nations" (great term in this case for sure!) in Mexico and S. America in school these days. Aztecs, Incas, Mayas are major topics in elementary and middle school. It is great, as a parent, to get the chance to learn more history, through our children's education. And we always pick up more through travel, reading, and this board. Thanks.