Vancouver to Victoria

Jul 3rd, 2006, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Vancouver to Victoria

Hi,

Hi, Can anyone advise of what would be the best form of transport from Vancouver to Victoria. I will be traveling on monday morning of 21 August and will be staying for 2 nights in Victoria. I was going to hire a car after my initial stay in Vancouver and drive to the ferry port, ferry across and then drive onto Victoria, but I understand that this can take about 4 hours, and there are chances that I may have to wait for a ferry at Vancouver as I will be travelling by caran monday mornings are a busy period? I dont plan to use the car a great deal whilst in Victoria as I will be sightseeing. Does anyone have any suggestions? i.e. Bus/Train etc...I see that there are one way flights for about 99$CAD?? Any ideas and idea of cost? Any comments welcome Many Thanks
Jul 3rd, 2006, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

....would it be easier and faster to get a ferry if I am travelling as a foot passenger (and get a train to the ferry port), or is car the best way ? ?
Jul 3rd, 2006, 10:51 AM

You could still use the rental car and make reservations on the ferry. It costs $15.00 each way for a reservation and is non-refundable. You can book online www.bcferries.com
Jul 3rd, 2006, 11:16 AM

It's easy to take the bus from downtown Vancouver to downtown Victoria. No ferry waits that way.
http://www.pacificcoach.com/

Float plane is also easy and quicker.
http://www.harbour-air.com/home/index.php
http://www.westcoastair.com/
Jul 3rd, 2006, 12:01 PM

There are a fair number of threads on this forum on the alternatives for travelling between Vancouver and Victoria.

In part, in terms of both cost and hassle factor, I think it depends on whether you are travelling alone or with one or more companions and/or children.

For two adults to take a car across and back on the ferry (including the highly recommended reservations) is almost exactly the same cost as taking the Pacific Coach ~ about CAD$140, there and back.

If there are more in your group, taking the car across starts to make more sense, especially when you consider the need to get from your hotel to the coach station at each end.

Jul 4th, 2006, 05:42 AM
cd

We rented a car in Vancouver and took it across to Victoria via ferry and was so glad that we did. We made reservations and that is the way to go as you are in line for the first to get on. We did not want to take a chance of having to wait for the next ferry. We had the truck to store our luggage in and parking at our hotel was free. It is about a 30mile drive to the town of Victoria after you arrive. We were also there two days. The second day we had our car to visit Butchart Gardens which you have to drive or take a tour to. With a car you are only on your own time schedule and we were glad we made that decision.
Jul 4th, 2006, 05:43 AM
cd

Opps, TRUNK.