Reload this Page >

Vancouver Island/Whistler

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 02:47 PM
Clousie

We're just in the planning stages and would like comments on the following itinerary. <BR> <BR>We have to fly into and out of Seattle due to cahing in air miles although we would have preferred Vancouver. <BR> <BR>Will go through Victoria and onto Tofino. We're walkers/hikers and wonder how long to spend in Tofino. <BR> <BR>Then plan to cross over to the Sunshine Coast and head to Whistler. Is this a beautiful area with many walks in July? <BR> <BR>Continue north to Lillooet and back to Seattle via Hope, Rt 1 and US 5. <BR> <BR>Any thoughts, suggestions, changes, must sees? We really prefer to stay several nights in one place, but realize we're covering a lot of territory. Besides Tofino and Whistler area, any great places to stay? <BR> <BR>Thanks for any help or advice.

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 06:56 PM
Mike Bilinski

Apart from some Beach hiking, which can be good and exhausting at low tide there's not a lot of hiking in Tofino,it's rather flat, myself I'd rent a Kayak and go for an upper-body workout(!) <BR>2 days is lots there IMO. <BR>Whistler is THE place to find good hiking, it's all up 'n down(!) <BR>There are so many options in the area it would be best to get your info on what trail/where to locally I've been up there fishing but haven't hiked a lot. <BR>The Duffey Lake Road to Lillooet is a favourite of mine just be aware it's a rather twisty route. <BR>Few people travel the route many are unaware it exists funny thing that. <BR>The road south thru the Fraser Canyon is beautiful as well but again be aware that it's a long drop in some places. <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 10:16 AM
Robyn

Actually, I'd say the exact opposite of Mike! Tofino has some of the best hikes and walks in the Pacific Rim National Park while I was staying in the Tofino area. (Best as in scenic and enchanting, not the best as in extreme mountainous hikes.) There are dozens and dozens of trails meandering their way through the temperate rainforest. Most of them you can't spot from the side of the road, but if you pull into the park parking lot, and set off on a trail, the forest becomes completely magical. Many of the trails are elevated on boardwalks and work their way up and down the forest floor. The famous "Westcoast Trail" is also located in Pacific Rim National Park. I haven't done it yet, <BR> <BR>http://www.vancouverisland.com/ has tons of information. Just go there and click on "Parks & Trails". I personally would spend at least 4 days minimum in this area, if not more, if you truly want to explore the region. <BR>http://www.canadianparks.com/sites/p...cfrim-1-1.html is the website for the Pacific Rim National Park.

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 02:24 PM
Mike Bilinski

Robyn is of course right, there are a number of interesting hikes in the forest in the Tofino/Pacific Rim National Park area. <BR>I was thinking of gruelling ascents and the like-silly me (!)

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 03:12 PM
sheri

I'd recommend *at least* three nights in Tofino. It's a haul to get there (the mountain road over the center of the island can be grueling), and you'll need a couple days to unwind! Plus there's so much to do there. Every time I've gone (five or six times now), I wish I were staying longer. In addition to the beach walks and rainforest hikes previously mentioned, I would definitely recommend a sea kayaking trip to Meares Island, which will include a short hike to some amazing old growth cedars. I also finally did the trip to Hot Springs Cove last time I was there and loved it (although it was October, so it wasn't crowded. In high season it might not be as special). <BR> <BR>It's not clear from your post, but if you're thinking you're going to go from Tofino to Powell River then down the Sunshine Coast and to Whistler in one day, think again ;-)! There are three ferries on that route to contend with, so you'd definitely want to break your trip in Powell River or somewhere on the next segment of the Sunshine Coast, depending on the ferry schedule. <BR> <BR>One more tip: on your way back to Seattle, be sure to cross at Lynden or Sumas off of Rt.1, don't cross into the US at the main I-5 crossing at Blaine. The line is always ridiculous in the summertime.

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 06:42 PM
Clousie

Thanks for the comments. We love both beach walking/exploring as well as breathtaking mountain hikes (not too gruelling : ) ) which is why we're thinking of both Tofino and Whistler. <BR> <BR>No, we're not planning to go non-stop between the two places, but want to allow some time to see sights along the way if anyone has any suggestions. Is two days, with one overnight perhaps near Pender's Bay, long enough to get from Tofino to Whistler, or should we plan another overnight between them? <BR> <BR>Would you suggest a stop at Port Albani (or somewhere) between Victoria and Tofino? Were wondering if taking a day to do the round trip on the Lady Rose is worthwhile? <BR> <BR>Any suggestions for cottage/condo type accommodations in Tofino? Would like a small kitchen if possible. <BR> <BR>It sounds as though you all really love the area, and we appreciate your help and comments. I enjoy hearing (reading) others insights into an area. <BR> <BR>Clousie <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 09:31 PM
Mike Bilinski

<BR>You have the names wrong so it's hard to figure out exactly what you mean. <BR>"Pender's Bay"? <BR>Do you mean Pender Harbour? <BR>Try http://www.rubylakeresort.com/ <BR>"Port Albani"? must be Port Alberni. <BR>There is absolutely no reason, none, for anyone to ever stop in Port Alberni. It's a blue collar mill town (complete with the reek of the Paper Mill) with no redeeming qualities of note. <BR>The fish reduction plant located on the Waterfront also adds a particular 'tang' to the air-not pleasant at all. <BR>The Lady Rose is OK after it reaches Barclay Sound but the first half of the journey is in logged-off Alberni Channel, a must-miss. <BR>There are a number of B&B's and Motels there if you need to overnight but the road to Tofino is fun with only one hairraising turn of note. <BR>Powell River too is an odd place, a smelly hard bitten mill town on the edge of nowhere. <BR>A number of people who live downwind of the Mill have died of Cancer over the years once you catch a whiff on Pacifica Papers you can form your own opinons why. <BR>I'd give it a miss or hurry right thru myself. <BR>Tofino to Whistler is easily done in one day if you Start early in Tofino , drive to Nanaimo take the Ferry to Horseshoe Bay and drive the 1.5 hours to Whistler. <BR>www.bcferries.com <BR>The reason I mention it is because the scenery on East Coast Vancover Island is nice but pales in comparison to what's on offer at Tofino IMO. <BR>

Old Feb 17th, 2001, 08:47 AM
sheri

As Mike says, no, a stop in Port Alberni isn't necessary or advisable. It's about a five hour drive from Victoria to Tofino, so definitely do-able in a day. The feedback I've gotten on the Lady Rose daytrip is just ok (although I'd love to go and stay in Barclay Sound sometime). If you really want to do a scenic day boat trip, take the trip to Princess Louisa Inlet and Chatterbox Falls from the Sunshine Coast. <BR> <BR>Mike is correct, of course you *can* go from Tofino to Whistler in a day, IF you don't include the Sunshine Coast. I was going on the assumption that you wanted to include it. Powell River isn't the loveliest of destinations but I really liked driving to the end of the road (Lund; there's a great bakery out there) and also hiking around one of the lakes near Powell River. And the ferry ride on the north part of the coast is pretty spectacular, I think. There are some ok places to stay around the Pender Harbor/Madiera Park area (nothing special, although the Sundowner Inn in Garden Bay is charming in a funky sort of way). One of the resorts in that area is the one that offers the day trips to Princess Louisa Inlet...I think it's Lowe's Resort, but I'm not positive.

Old Feb 20th, 2001, 12:36 PM
Clousie

Hi, and thanks again for the continuing replies. <BR> <BR>Sorry that I confused you with incorrect names last time; it was getting late and I was rushing so thought I knew place names rather than looking at the map. <BR> <BR>Being from the east coast, we've only been to Victoria and Vancouver once, and aren't at all familiar with the rest of the area, so definitely appreciate the opinions of those who have been there. <BR> <BR>Sunshine Coast isn't a "must" between Tofino and Whistler, but just wondered if it's a fun, natural area to see, or do you suggest we take the ferry at Nanaimo (I looked it up this time!) and head directly to Whistler? I saw Parksville suggested on another post; worthwhile?? or forge straight ahead? <BR> <BR>Looking at the map again (can't wait til I get my new packet from BC Tourism) I'm wondering about the drive from Whistler via Lillooet to Hope. Darn highway maps tell one so little...is this a scenic route? mountainous? feasible to do in a day or is a stop in Lillooet suggested? <BR> <BR>We prefer to get to a great hiking area and stay for at least a full day of hiking (usually more) but since we'll leave Whistler on a Wednesday morning, we only have 2 nights to play with since we have to stay near SeaTac Friday night. <BR> <BR>Would it be better to just drive from Whistler to Hope, hike at Manning Park, spend another night in Hope before heading to the US or make one night stop in Lillooet? <BR> <BR>Thanks, Sheri, for the border crossing suggestions. I remember Rt 5 from last time.

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 11:03 AM
rand

Hi there. <BR>I recomended Parksville over Naniamo as a stopover because in March you can get an oceanfront room with a jacuzi and fireplace for the same price as a hotelroom. In July? no way. With so much time in Tofino and Whistler, Parksville is a miss for you. The highway from Whistler to Lillooet is a fabulous windy road. The problem is people try to take 40 foot motorhomes through it. Two hours on a motorbike, but as much as six in a car following a motorhome. The route around to Hope is worth it though.

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 02:32 AM
Clousie

Thanks for the clarification on Parksville, Rand.

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 01:18 PM
TOPPER

To the top.

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 02:27 PM
Tbone

Parksville has a nice beach for walking on when the tide is out.You will go right through it on the way to and back from Tofino. <BR> <BR> If you want to go on a nice hike, I have heard the Joffre Lakes hike about a hour drive north of Whistler on the Duffy Lake road is quite beautiful.5hour. 11km. return hike with an elevation gain of 400 meters. It's my list of to do's. <BR> <BR>I'd skip the Sunshine Coast. it is nice but, you will see plenty of scenery on the rest of the trip.If you do happen to travel it though, go for the fairly easy hike to the skookumchuk narrows near Pender Harbour. <BR> <BR>Do take the border crossing at 264th ave. Aldergrove through Lynden,Wash.