Vancouver Island Trip Report--Ucluelet and Tofino

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got back from BC and thought I would share a few highlights for anyone who be interested.

Ucluelet is an interesting mix of man and nature. The town is home to fishers and some fish processing (and there seems to be some traces of logging), which exists alongside an abundance of wildlife. We took a bear-watching tour and saw more animals than I've seen in my life. Black bears, sea lions, seals, eagles, blue herrons, and all sorts of salmon. We also took a Zodiak boat ride to see the gray whales. The Wild Pacific Trail, especially the loop by the lighthouse, is also worth checking out.

We stayed at Tauca Lea, which needs to work out a few things before it can be the high end place it wants to be. But the food at the restaurant, The Boat Basin, is fabulous.

Pacific Rim National Park, especially Long Beach, was very beautiful with several nice, easy hiking trails. The Wickinnish restaurant in the park offers dining with a great view. Food was good, if a bit pricey.

After the quiet of Ucluelet, Tofino was a bit of change. It's much more developed and town was a bit claustrophobic on rainy day. We took a sea plane ride and got another view of the west coast. Chesterman Beach is good for walking.

If you go to Tofino, a stop at SOBO is a must. It's the best food and it's served out of a catering truck parked in the back of a shopping center that houses Surf Sisters and Tofino Chocolates. Fresh, reasonable, and inventive. Try the "killer" fish tacos.
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks very much for your report.

"There seem to be some traces of logging..." unfortunately I think that sums up Ucluelet's present economic situation. They lost out a lot when logging on that part of Vancouver Island declined, and now I guess the idea is to make up some lost revenue by attracting more visitors.

Like you, I love the Wild Pacific Trail. The stretch along the cliffs is particularly beautiful. It's all easily walkable (we're certainly not hikers and we can do the trail without difficulty).

I've never eaten at the Boat Basin. Thanks for the recommendation.

When we go to Tofino (about once a year) we never actually stay in the town itself, for the very reasons you mention. Chesterman Beach is our favourite and we've had excellent experiences with many of the B&Bs along Chesterman Beach and Lynn Beach Road.