Vancouver and Victoria

Search

Vancouver and Victoria

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vancouver and Victoria

Hello! I am new to the Canada forum, I usually post on the Europe board. I am planning a trip to Vancouver in early July. I read several previous posts and learned some great tips but I do have a few questions of my own:

1) I am not familiar with the different neighborhoods of Vancouver, which are considered safe, yet interesting places to stay? I am a single female and in my mid-30's. Mostly interested in visiting parks, museums, bookstores, markets, cafes etc. Not looking for nightlife, more interested in cultural attractions.

2) I am looking for budget hotels that are well situated and clean. I was considering the YWCA hotel but I've also read good things about the Buchan and Sylvia hotels. Which do you recommend most? I am not renting a car so I prefer places where I can walk or have easy access to transportation.

3)Budget hotels in Victoria?

4)How many days do you recommend staying in each place in order to have enough time to enjoy the highlights?

I appreciate any advice you may offer. Thanks in advance!
Ruba
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 01:40 PM
mdn

TravelZoo is advertising a super special rate of $149 /night at the Pacific Palisades hotel in Vancouver downtown. I believe it's a very nice boutique hotel. Rooms are going fast & every few hours more dates are being sold-out! Don't know whether $150 would qualify as budget, but looking at the other rates in Vancouver, it looks like a bargain for a good boutique hotel during peak season.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 08:41 PM

We stayed at the lovely Sylvia Hotel in May and really enjoyed it. It's right next to Stanley Park and overlooks English Bay. It's anlder hotel but very clean with a lot of character. Also, the staff was very friendly and helpful. We felt it was a good value considering how expensive hotels are in Vancouver.

http://sylviahotel.com/index.htm

There are loads of restaurants around the corner on Denman Street and the hotel restaurant was quite good also.

We had a car so I can't help you with transportation.

The only area I would hesitate to visit if I was by myself is Gastown. There were so many panhandlers that I felt uncomfortable. My husband and I were there from about 6 to 9 PM and must have been approached at least a half dozen times by some very unsavory looking characters. Maybe it would be better during the daytime hours, I don't know.
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips so far. I am hoping to find a decent hotel under US$100. I did not realize Vancouver was so expensive during high season but I'm still looking forward to my visit.
The Sylvia hotel seems to be in an ideal location, next to Stanley Park and the bay.
Any thoughts on the Buchan?
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 08:58 AM

We are staying at the Sylvia for five nights in July, but I booked the res in January, and still had to adjust my dates based on their availability. Be prepared to be flexible!
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 10:34 AM

I just walked past the YWCA hotel last night on my way home - it's not in the absolute best neighbourhood (near BC Place/GM Place) but it's far from the worst (East Side)...you'd be close to Yaletown and the library from there, a fair walk up to Robson/Granville...
I'd recommend the West End for access to parks/culture...
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 05:38 PM

1) Not knowing where you're from, it's hard to tell what you're used to in terms of safety. But Vancouver is a very safe city. There are certainly places that are more <i>pleasant</i> to stay in than others, but nowhere that's deemed unsafe.

I'll elaborate by what I mean. Random violence and muggings are rare in Vancouver. We don't have violent gang-infested neighbourhoods that you'd find in certain American cities, for example. We also don't have a gun culture in Vancouver.

We <i>do</i>, however, have a lot of homeless people downtown, but they are essentially harmless (ie: unarmed, will ask you for spare change, but will leave you alone if you say no). Our homeless people aren't known to be muggers, so if you see homeless people, there's really no need to fear them.

We also have a lot of drug addicts. These people also tend to be the people asking you for spare change.They might look frightening to some, but again, essentially harmless. Not armed, not known to mug people, etc.

However, Vancouver is known for property vandalism/theft. I would never leave anything valuable, ever, in a car. I'd also never leave anything visible in a car, including jackets, empty bags, CDs, a box. However, as somebody who used to drive a lot, who'd park their car downtown, I never had my car broken into, ever. The people who leave their bags, luggage, purses, valuables in plain view while parked are the ones that generally do.

Now there's one part of Vancouver that is run-down, smelly, dirty, and has a lot of drug addicts. It's called the Downtown Eastside. It sits along East Hastings Street at the intersection of Main Street, and the few blocks that surround it. It again, is not a violent neighbourhood, but can be intimidating for those unaware of where they are. The Downtown Eastside sits between two of Vancouver's oldest (but not necessarily best) tourist districts: <b>Gastown</b> and <b>Chinatown</b>.

Gastown is a collection of Vancouver's oldest buildings. It was here where Vancouver was built from scratch out of the wilderness back in the 1880's. It used to be an old sawmill and was where the cross-Canada railroad ended. So you had a lot of growth around there, mostly taverns/saloons and hotels. It wasn't until the late 1970's when that part of Vancouver was dolled up in hopes that it would be a touristy neighbourhood. This was before Vancouver was actively seeking large-scale tourism. There are a lot of tacky souvenir shops in Gastown, some decent gift/clothing boutiques, and some decent pubs/restaurants. For some reason that boggles me, a lot of Alaska cruise ship passengers like to only go to Gastown during their brief time in Vancouver, and as a result, there are a *lot* of beggars and panhandlers (ie: the drug addicts/homeless) that will pester them for money. They're not a danger, they're just annoying.

Another thing about Gastown is that some of the neighbourhood's side streets are a bit run down, and it's not a vibrant place ot be after 6pm, as the stores are barred and closed by then. Gastown is generally not a place locals will go to hang out in, and it's not an area where I'd recommend you stroll through in the evening, simply because it's empty, there's not much to see in the evening, and there are so many more vibrant/interesting places to be (like English Bay, Robson Street, Yaletown, Denman Street, Kitsilano).

The only time I recommend going to Gastown in the evening is if there's a restaurant or pub you're specifically going to - it's not a place for windowshopping by evening. If you're going to visit, go during the early afternoon when the shops are actually open.

Chinatown, like Gastown, is also a place I would only ever visit during the morning or the afternoon. Don't bother going after 6pm because all the shops are closed and it becomes a ghost town by then.

The neighbourhoods I would recommend would be the West End of downtown, Yaletown, Kitsilano (&quot;Kits&quot, Commercial Drive, South Granville, Jericho Beach, UBC, and South Main/Mount Pleasant.

Vancouver isn't really a museum city, but the best one is certainly the Museum of Anthropology out at UBC. If you find yourself in town on a rainy day and you like art, the Vancouver Art Gallery is excellent. If you want some neat one-of-a-kind small museums, I really like the Vancouver Police Centennial Museum (in Gastown), the Vancouver Maritime Museum (at Vanier Park in Kits), and the Vancouver Museum (also in Vanier Park in Kits).

For parks, Stanley Park is the ultimate must-see of Vancouver, located along the north-western corner of downtown. It's 1000 acres of wild temperate rainforest, flower gardens, walkways, trails, statues/totem poles, and the Vancouver Aquarium. My favourite part of the park is the western side, because it's away from traffic and it feels like you're far away from the city. It looks out into the open water and has a few beaches. You can take the seawall from English Bay north towards Second Beach and along to Third Beach for a nice walk of this part of the park.

If you like gardens, Van Dusen Botanical Garden is worth a visit. I forget how much it costs, but about $9-12. 55 acres of beautiful flower gardens of different themes. It's the same size as the more famous Butchart Gardens (which are located in the city of Victoria on Vancouver Island).

There's also Queen Elizabeth Park, on top of Little Mountain in Vancouver at Cambie and 33rd Ave. It's a free park with a sunken flower garden in an old rock quarry.

Lynn Canyon Park in North Vancouver is a good place for a few hours. It has a free suspension bridge and many walking trails through the temperate rainforest.

For bookstores, they're scattered around town. For second hand there's McLeod's on Richards and Hastings, and ABC on Granville at Drake. Both downtown. The Book Warehouse is a local chain with low prices. Chapters on Robson/Howe is a 3 storey mega chain.

For markets, Granville Island is where you'll want to be from the morning until 7pm. Granville Island Public Market is the most famous market in the city, with all kinds of food products. Outside of the market in the neighbouring buildings are art studios, art galleries, craft shops, unique gift shops, as well as restaurants, waterfront walkways, boat rentals, etc. Really cool place to spend an afternoon.

If you're here on a weekend, definitely go to the Richmond Night Market (Fridays-Sundays only). It's an Asian market with lots of food/merchandise vendors. It's similar to a night market you'd find in Hong Kong. www.richmondnightmarket.com

Chinatown holds another night market, but it's much, much, smaller than Richmond's. During the day, Chinatown is essentially one big market (as opposed to a district of gift shops or restaurants). If you want a traditional Chinese market atmosphere, visit Chinatown in the morning/afternoon.

For cafes, Commercial Drive (east of downtown, north of Broadway, south of Venables) is an old Italian neighbourhood-turned multi-ethnic. Lots of old school Italian espresso shops, but also some really cool places for live poetry/music in a cafe environment. Lots of hippy-esque places too

Main Street (from E 7th up to E 30th Ave) is my favourite place for a collection of indie clothing boutiques/second hand shops, and cafes.

Too avoid nightlife, avoid Granville Street downtown at night. That's about it. Vancouver's not known for its nightlife because the locals are too busy being active during the day to care. Our idea of nightlife is having a good dinner and watching the sunset from the beach.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 05:52 PM

2) Budget hotels - the Sylvia has certainly the nicest location, being located in the West End overlooking English Bay beach, surrounded by lots of cafes and small restaurants (many of which serve a variety of different ethnic cuisines). It just has a very chilled out environment, especially in July. Especially when the sun's out. That's why I'd recommend the Sylvia before all else.

The YMCA/YWCA is also good. The location is just not scenic, but it's perfectly fine - just surrounded by other hotels and apartment buildings, as opposed to beaches, gardens, and restaurants. So it's a little uninteresting as far as Vancouver standards go, but don't let the comments on it &quot;not being the best&quot; worry you. It's totally fine and I would not hesitate to stay there.

All of downtown is easily walkable and public transport is easily accessible from both the Sylvia and the YWCA.

3) Budget hotels in Victoria I'm less familiar with, but I stayed at the Dominion which was safe, clean, and located downtown by the Inner Harbour. It's not waterfront, but it was totally fine. Locals, I find, will generally scowl at the mention of this hotel, but it met my needs perfectly.

4) An overnight in Victoria - 2 full days is plenty. Vancouver is much larger than Victoria. You need at least 3 full days before you get a sense that you've enjoyed the highlights.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 06:44 PM

Wow Carmanah!

Very good overview of Vancouver - and your totally spot on about Gastown and Chinatown. I can't remember the last time I was in Gastown actually - oh yeah...last summer I had lunch at the Water St. Cafe - really like it there. I remember thinking that Gastown is really nice - cobblestones, flower baskets, etc. but yes, it's definitely not somewhere to &quot;wander&quot; around in at night.

Azure - I would try to get into the Sylvia if you can. Great location - beautiful scenery and located in one of the great &quot;neighbourhood&quot; areas of downtown Vancouver.

Hope you have a great time and make sure to write and let us know what you think of our fair city!!!
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 06:55 PM

Doesn't Vancouver Chinatown have a weekend night market in Summer?

Is Richmond a lot better?
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 08:08 PM

Both Chinatown and Gastown are &quot;peddled&quot; to the tourists via the tourist publications. My husband saw a nighttime photo of the Gassy Jack statue and square and thought it looked interesting.

We got there around 6 PM, walked around and had dinner about 8 PM. In a 2 hour span, we were approached at least 6 times for money. Maybe the panhandlers are harmless, but they can be aggressive. This is a little unnerving for a tourist.

The next morning we drove to Chinatown to see the Chinese Gardens. Again, we saw a number of homeless people wandering around.

I realize every large city has a problem with the homeless, but we never saw any police presence in Gastown trying to stop them from approaching the tourists. It's almost like the city has turned a blind eye to the problem.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 09:40 PM

The police don't stop them because they're not doing anything illegal. It's also a huge problem in Vancouver and the police are aware of the issue. They're more concerned about the crime associated with drug addiction, as opposed to begging. It's a huge political issue in Vancouver because what do you do with all the homeless/drug addicts? The provincial government has cut funding for programs that would otherwise help them. Real estate prices have driven up the costs of housing, and what were once old hotels used by these people have been demolished for expensive trendy condo developement. There was even a crack down on the Downtown Eastside by the police a few years ago, and all it did was push everything into different neighbourhoods.

Basically, I've given this warning because it's a sad reality of Vancouver and has been for decades.

Wallace_and_Gromit,

Richmond's is a mega event and much more exciting, definitely. If there are 5-10 food stalls at the Chinatown Night Market, there are 40-60 at the Richmond Night market. If there are 20 stalls of merchandise at the Chinatown Night Market, there are over 100 at the Richmond Night Market. I believe that the Richmond Night Market is 12 acres of insanity. The Chinatown Night Market is really small scale in comparison and is much more low key. It can be nice though because there are less crowds, and the Richmond Night Market can be overwhelming at times (or claustrophobic to those who hate crowds). Yet, the Richmond Night Market is certainly an experience that you won't find elsewhere!
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Wow! Thank you for all the responses, especially from Carmanah. I really appreciate the time you took to answer all of my questions in such helpful detail. I've heard that the people of Vancouver are friendly and helpful and you've just proven that to me!

I live in Denver and we also have our share of homeless people and drug addicts. They can be aggressive when asking for money but are mostly harmless. Luckily, the mayor of Denver has focused on programs to end panhandling and finding other ways to take care of the homeless and drug addicts.

The Sylvia Hotel seems to have the most ideal location but I may not be able to find a room at this late date. I just found out that a friend of mine stayed at the YWCA a couple of years ago, she said the area isn't very scenic but she felt safe and found it a good base from which to explore the city.

Thank you very much, I can't wait to visit your lovely city!

Ruba
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 11:17 AM

Hello azure,

You asked about the Buchan Hotel in Vancouver. It would be a good alternative to the Sylvia. It's a few blocks north of the Sylvia, so doesn't have an ocean view, but it's just steps from Stanley Park. It is on a tree-lined residential street and so very quiet and peaceful. I can't remember whether the hotel does breakfast, but there are loads of cafes and restaurants on Denman Street, just a five minute walk away.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 12:17 PM

Glad I could help!

I agree with Vorkuta - I somehow skipped past your Buchan idea, but the location is nice - tucked away between residential apartments on a nice leafy side street of the West End. I don't know if you're familiar with Google Maps at all, but if you plug those hotel addresses into Google Maps, you can click on &quot;satellite&quot; or &quot;hybrid&quot; view so you can literally see aerial photos of this part of Vancouver. It helps immensely with orientation and you can really see how the neighbourhoods compare (which ones are next to gardens/parks/beaches, which ones are next to office towers, etc).

I also forgot to mention my favourite book store: Sophia Books - http://www.sophiabooks.com - they have books in different languages, but their magazines/art books are amazing.

Oh yeah - if you like art books, Oscar's on Broadway (just west of Granville) is a must.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 12:17 PM

... and so is the Vancouver Art Gallery's gift shop. Excellent art book selection.

Okay, I'll stop now!
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 01:12 PM

Carmanah,

You've given some excellent tips here - of great use to everyone, even those of us who've lived in Vancouver for many years. Many thanks.

Old Jun 11th, 2007, 01:20 PM

I agree - your post was fantastic Carmanah - you've actually outdone yourself this time =^D
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 02:32 PM

Hello again azure,

Carmanah mentions the Dominion Hotel in Victoria, on Yates Street. I'd agree with that. We spent our honeymoon there in 1994 and have returned several times. It's quiet and a little old fashioned, like Vancouver's Sylvia and Buchan Hotels (I think it was built in the late 19th century). We felt very comfortable. The prices were reasonable and service good. As Carmanah says, locals tend to scowl when you recommend the Dominion, but we have enjoyed staying there and wouldn't hesitate to return.

Our last sojourn there was in February 2006, at which time the Dominion had had a face-lift and re-named itself the Dominion Grand Hotel. I'm not sure whether the face-lift continues, but certainly a year ago it was comfortable and good value. It's within easy walking distance of most points of interest in Victoria.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Thank you once again to each of you. As I expected, the Sylvia Hotel is fully booked so I'll stay at the Buchan since it's in the West End neighborhood; the YWCA is only a few dollars less so I might as well choose the Buchan for its more scenic location.

Is it possible to explore the highlights of Victoria only as a day trip from Vancouver?

I appreciate your time and invaluable input. Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -