Vancouver addresses?

Search

Vancouver addresses?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2007, 02:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vancouver addresses?

Hi everyone, have been researching some vrbo properties and would like some comments on the following areas please with regard to convenience (will have car),noise, attractions and probably 'ambience' most importantly!
Option 1 - Gastown - "Greenshields" building, Option 2 - "one block from Stanley Park and one block from Robson street" Option 3 - Delta suites building.
Vrbo seems to offer exceptional value for money? Thanks.
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 08:17 AM

My first choice would be a block from Stanley Park and a block from Robson Street. That location is in the "West End," which is a mixed density residential neighbourhood that is contiguous with the downtown core (CBD in Oz). There are lots of restaurants in the West End. There also are lots of high rise apartment buildings, but it's not quite as concentrated as the downtown core. Being close to Stanley Park is really nice. Yet you're still within easy reach of other centrally located attractions.

I don't know what you mean by the Delta Suites Building. Is it the Delta Vancouver Suites Hotel at 550 West Hastings Street? If so, it's in the true downtown core. The location is central and close to amenities. It's close to Gastown, but not in Gastown, which is good, because Gastown gets scuzzy at night. It would be my second choice out of these three locations. (But that assumes the place is located where I think it is.)

As I said, Gastown is rough at night. I don't know that you'd be in danger. I think not. Still, it's unpleasant to be surrounded by hookers and drug addicts. I would not want to stay there.
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Hi Judy, thanks for that. The vrbo site obviously doesn't provide exact addresses in most cases so this is a bit of guesswork, but I am now going to email these three for further info. The "Delta" I mentioned is in the photo on the website for this particular apartment and it says you can access the Delta's room service etc. but also says it is "Located next to the prestigious Wosk Centre for Dialogue and Simon Fraser University's downtown campus, a one-minute walk from historic Gastown and the Vancouver waterfront." Would that be an apartment within the Delta Hotel perhaps? (All of these options are well above street level.) Do you know the Greenshields building that the Gastown property mentions? I like this apartment best from what I have seen but take your point about Gastown and wondering if it may be on the "edge" or an "acceptable" part of Gastown at all? Thanks again.
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Judy, I just searched for the "Wosk Centre for dialogue" and that address is 580 West Hastings street so must be the Delta Suites.
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, postscript... Greenshields building is 345 Water Street - does that help?
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 03:10 PM

Ozgirl, 345 Water Street is close to the Delta Vancouver Suites Hotel. The Delta is approximately at the eastern edge of the part of downtown that most people would think of as "mainstream." The Greenshields building is about half a block into the district that most people would consider to be rough around the edges. But it is not an exact line. The boundary is kind of fuzzy. So yes, while the Greenshields building technically is "on the wrong side of the tracks" (metaphorically speaking), it's at the edge of the rougher neighbourhood. I don't know if that helps you to make up your mind.
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 12:17 PM

As it seems is so often the case, I agree with Judy - first choice would probably be the place a block from stanley park and a block from Robson - although that far down Robson you're going to be quite a ways from the trendy part of Robson (up around Robson and Burrard).

The second two options are a bit of a tough choice - I work two blocks west of the Delta suites. That part of Hastings is fine, although pretty quiet in the evenings and at night (would be considered the far eastern edge of vancouvers small financial district, and thus closes down after work is finished), and close enough to the downtown east side that it could be considered a bit sketchy.

The gastown location, on the other hand, is right in the centre of the vibrant "gastown scene" - lots going on there, plenty of people around, and close to my favourite pub in Vancouver (The Black Frog, on Cambie at Water Street, in behind the steam clock). Much farther east into Gastown it does indeed get a bit hairy, but that part is pretty much fine...

I'd almost rather be in that part of Gastown at night than at Hastings and Seymour, where the Detla is - at least there are usually people around in that side of Gastown.
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 06:51 PM

Hi
I would go with Option 2.... close to Stanley Park. Although our lovely park got pretty beat up with all the storms this winter, the neighbourhood is way better than your other options.
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, none of the three have replied to my query yet, so will have to wait and see what choices I have!
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Hello again everyone, well 6 weeks down the track, none of those three replied so I am looking again!
Have found an apartment that looks OK -address is 1723 Alberni St. Would I be right in thinking that once again this would be away from the "trendy" part of Robson and is it too far away? Thanks again.
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 06:48 PM

Well, I did a mapquest and you're walking distance to Stanley Park, about 4-5 blocks from the main Robson strip and right at Denman, which is a great street as well. It seems like a great location to me.
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 06:49 PM

Just to clarify something -- you're closer than that to Robson but I'm talking about where most of the big shops are.
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 06:59 PM

I don't know that particular property but personally I prefer to stay at that end of town especially if a good view is involved. To me it feels more like Vancouver than being smack in the middle of a bunch of office buildings that could be in any city. The park, restaurants and at least one grocery store are handy.
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 07:53 PM

1723 Alberni is a fantastic location - I think you'd like it there. I've had lots of friends live in that part of town, and it's super convenient - shore walk to the Coal Harbour waterfront, a short walk to Stanley Park, a short walk to the restaurants on Denman, a short walk to the shops/restaurants on Robson... and a 15 minute stroll to English Bay beach (not that you'd be impressed with it as a beach, but it's a nice waterfront for catching the sunset!)

The "trendy part" of Robson Street can mean whatever you want it to mean, but the liveliest/most interesting part of Robson is between Denman Street and Granville Street. The brand name stores on Robson are predominantly found between Bute and Hornby Street. Once you go west of Bute, the retail shops phase out into more of an independently-run restaurant scene. There are also more hotels that begin to line the street, but then the few blocks before Denman have more of a local feel. I think it's a great spot to be, primarily because I think it's actually more interesting neighbourhood-wise than the retail heart of Robson.

For something really cool, go to http://maps.google.ca and type in "1723 Alberni Street, Vancouver, BC" in the empty field. Once the map appears pointing out the exact location, click on the button that says "hybrid" or "satellite" and then zoom right in - you can see the exact building! You can then get a better appreciation of how short the distances are downtown.
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 01:56 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks guys, looks like I might be on a winner here!
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 07:59 AM

Just gonna throw my two cents in...

go with the Denman & Robson apartment, or the Alberni one. Can't go wrong being so close to English Bay, Stanley Park and Robson street.

Got any pictures of the Alberni apartment? What's your price range? When are you coming to Vancouver?, etc., etc.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Hi Camelbak, we will be there around third week of August for three nights only. Alberni st is around $150 CAD a night plus taxes which seems pretty good I think. There are some photos on website which look pretty good, it's on the 23rd floor I think.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 08:08 AM

Heya,

The Alberni apartment is in a really good location. You are really close to Denman, Robson, and within walking distance to Stanley Park.

The bonus of this apartment is that it is not directly ON Robson or Denman, which can be busy both in the day, and night, during the summer. You will be able to get away from the hustle and bustle but still be in the middle of everything.

Price seems pretty reasonable, and it looks to be a new condo.

August is a great time in Vancouver - usually nice and warm (well, warm for Vancouverites - so maybe 25-30 degrees Celcius). Everyone is out and about during the evening, and if you are lukcy you may be here for the annual fireworks competition.

Please write back and let us know how you liked Vancouver!
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks camelbak, have decided to book this one. I'm presuming you've driven past to give me all this info? Thanks very much for the local input, will probably have more questions later!
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 09:53 AM

Sorry for the late reply!

I used to live down near the Davie and Burrard, which is relatively close to the area you are staying in.

The area you are renting in is quite an enviable area for those Vancouverites that love the downtown/West End vibe. Like I said, Denman and Robson is very busy, but if you walk a block in towards Stanley Park it is all trees and small apartments and houses....

You are walking distance to all the shops and restaurants on Robson and Denman, walk to Stanley Park and English Bay (for the sunsets and seawall)....5 minutes to Coal Harbour....

The annual 10K SunRun also runs through the neigbhourbood every April (only 25,000 people tromping through the neighbourhood)...I always sigh as I run past..."I wish I could move down here".

Crossing my fingers the weather will be great for you and you will love our fair city!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -