Vacation in Toronto-any advice?

Aug 5th, 2001, 12:03 PM
Mare

Vacation in Toronto-any advice?

HI, I will be on vacation in Toronto Aug. 16 thru the 28th..any advice on where to stay and great places to see/eat. I will be accompanying my 73 year old Mother as well.. I'd like to find a safe, nice hotel downtown..thank you in advance, Mare

Aug 6th, 2001, 03:48 AM
elizabeth

Mare - what's your budget for a hotel? That will make it easier to make suggestions. Regards, Elizabeth

Aug 6th, 2001, 04:46 PM
Mare

I am willing to pay up to $150 @ night. Any advice? Thanks Elizabeth, mare

Aug 7th, 2001, 06:17 AM
elizabeth

Mare - There's a big difference between $150 Canadian and $150 U.S.....but I've assumed you mean Canadian. Following hotels are in the $150/CDN range (at least I've seen some postings where people were quoted that rate or similar) but can't make any guarantees as the city might be busy the week you're planning to come:

In the Bloor/Yorkville area (nice shopping/restaurants/museums/easy access to public transport)Marriott Bloor Yorkville is a great choice.

In the mid-downtown area - Delta Chelsea and Bond Place (near Eaton Centre - the big shopping mall - Bond place is probably less than $150.)

Slightly west of Eaton Centre area - Toronto Hilton (near the 'funkier' shopping area of Queen Street West - not sure that area holds much appeal for a 73-year old though!)

Further downtown - Novotel Esplanade.

The above only scratches the surface, though. There's a Sheraton and another Marriott near the Eaton Centre and a variety of other good hotels. From the above list, though, I think the Marriott Bloor Yorkville is a great choice - it's a lovely walking/shopping district and the hotel is right above the north/south and east/west subways lines.

If you search "Toronto" using the text search box at the top of the screen you'll find a bunch of reviews of these and other hotels.

Re restaurants - I have a long list and again, there's been lots of discussion on the site - the above search will also pull up restaurant postings but if you would like more information feel free to e-mail me directly.

Hope this helps! Elizabeth

Aug 9th, 2001, 04:07 PM
Mare

Thanks for all the great advice...looking forward to my first trip to TO. Mare

Aug 15th, 2001, 11:36 AM
NJW

I plan to be in the Toronto area at the end of August. If you're interested in saving some money, you can try what I did. I booked 3 nights at the Marriott Eaton Centre for US$40 a night plus tax through priceline.com.

You can't choose the hotel, but you can specify the area of town with some precision. Hope this helps.