US OR CANADA when driving to NS?

May 3rd, 2002, 01:02 AM
JJ

US OR CANADA when driving to NS?

Is it quicker to go through the US or Canada when driving from Toronto to Nova Scotia?

May 3rd, 2002, 04:29 AM
Susan

We are planning to go from Toronto to Nova Scotia as well. I thought we might drive down there through Canada and maybe return through the US. So if anyone has any suggestions as to route, please pass them on.

May 3rd, 2002, 06:27 AM
Melissa

I think you can do it either way...just remember our money is worth s**t in the US though...so through Canada would probibly be cheaper, plus you support your local economy, and you can drive through the best darn province in the country...New Brunswick should never be overlooked.

May 3rd, 2002, 06:36 AM
Susan

Yes, our dollar is pathetic! Melissa, we have planned to stop in New Brunswick - we thought of St. Andrews and probably another spot as well (TBD). We may leave PEI for another trip - neither of us like to be on the go all the time, so we're trying to make the actual trip part of the holiday, although I know that PEI is supposed to be beautiful. We just don't want to backtrack, would prefer to see something different, that's why we thought of going through Canada one way and through the States the other way.

May 3rd, 2002, 10:56 AM
Melissa

When I was young, we drove from F'ton to Toronto through the US. It was great. We drove from here to maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New york state, and Niagra falls and drove home through Quebec. I think you would have fun this way.

St. Andrews is beautiful. I went to college there for 2 years. You should stay either at a b&b or the Algonquin. You can go whale watching, kayacking, or just take a walk around the Point (St. Andrews is in Penisula and the Point is the tip of it) also you can visit the aquarium. There is a touch tank that you can touch the star fish, crabs, etc. Everything in the aquarium is native to the Passimaquaddy Bay.

Have fun

May 3rd, 2002, 11:56 AM
Ken

The question was which is quicker. The answer is the Canadian route. There is no East-West Interstate highway in the USA unless you want to go far out of your.

May 3rd, 2002, 05:56 PM
syl

Don't miss the Bay of Fundy in New Brunswick. Great sticky buns. In Nova Scotia,Cape Breton Island's beautiful. Drive thru the States 1st? Why? Like someone else said, our $$'s worth s...
Go through charming Quebec City.Stop at St.Jean de Port Joli to see wood carvings.

May 15th, 2002, 11:04 AM
Shanon

JJ,

Our family did a road trip to Ottawa from Nova Scotia a few years back. We drove up through New Brunswick and Quebec. We camped and went to beautiful Shediac beach in NB and checked out some of the provincial parks in NB which were great. We stopped in Montreal and saw the Expo's play baseball and showed our girls a little of downtown Montreal. We moved on to Ottawa and had a great time checking out Parliament Hill and The Museum of Civilization in Hull, Quebeck, which our kids loved. We came back to N.S., via the US and camped in upper NY state at a beautiful campground and then drove down through New England checking out places like Salem, Mass., etc. en route home. We had a great time. The Canadian dollar was low back then too but we made the sacrifice to explore both routes.