US/Can Exchange

Jul 9th, 2002, 01:49 PM
a

US/Can Exchange

I got $1.41 Canadian for $1 US from my bank.
I know it's a moot point, did I get overcharged? I thought I saw 1.52 somewhere.

Jul 9th, 2002, 01:58 PM
Jack

You got a good screwing! You should get at least 1.50$, including commissions and service charges.

Jul 9th, 2002, 03:43 PM
Brian Kilgore

Were you in Canada or the United States at the time?

I use, in Canada, one dollar US bills to buy newspapers that, with tax, cost $1.50 Cdn quite often.

Inthe last little while, the US dollar has dropped in value cf the Candian dollar, but the $1.41 rate seems low to me, too.

Are you discussing cash money, or travelller's checks or some other form of currency?

And, normally, selling gets you a different price than buying, but the straight rate today is about $1.515
BAK

BAK

Jul 10th, 2002, 06:46 AM
a

I knew I should have shopped around. Got the rate at Chase in New York. Oh well.

Jul 10th, 2002, 07:35 AM
Brian Kilgore

I'm not so sure you would have done much better shopping around in New York, assuming you were only dealing in some small (to a bank, not neccessarily to you) amount of money.

BAK

Jul 12th, 2002, 08:46 PM
Matt

The best way is to simply use an ATM card once in Canada, or a Credit Card. You would get the best rate. My friend changed $50.00 USD at the Tim Hortons in downtown Toronto which was offering a $1.50 exchange rate. He bought some donuts and coffee and received over $70 CDN in change. Lol.