Urgent Help With Zoom and AirTransat

Sep 5th, 2006, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Urgent Help With Zoom and AirTransat

Although we live in Michigan we always drive to Toronto and fly to Europe from there. We've seen some great airfares on Zoom and Air Transat airlines, but we've no experience with them and know nothing about them. Can anyone tell me if they have good service and safety records? We plan to fly in about four weeks so this is getting urgent.
Sep 5th, 2006, 05:13 PM

Lots of people have used Air Transat for charter flights, and as far as I know, the flights are fine. I know only 1 person who has used Zoom - their routes are quite limited (between Canada and parts of the UK, as well as Paris). However, I'll soon have some personal experience with them - I'm flying Zoom to Paris leaving on September 22!
Sep 5th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. Sorry I just saw an earlier posting regarding these airlines, but I am wondering about safety. Any concerns or poor records? Also, most of the prices seem to be in Air Transat, and it sounds like Zoom is the better of the two. Where did you find the great rates to Paris?
Sep 5th, 2006, 06:47 PM

I went direct to the Zoom website. I'm not aware of any other way you can buy Zoom tickets.

Re safety, I haven't heard of any problems with either of the airlines.
Sep 6th, 2006, 12:29 AM

http://aviation-safety.net/database/

Has comprehensive data on serious incidents but it's not presented in relation to number of flights, miles, etc (making it harder to evaluate relative safety). There are three incidents reported for Air Transat (and it has a fairly long history), none for Zoom (a relatively new airline). You might pick a smaller US airline with which you are familiar and compare its safety report. For example, Alaska Airlines had 15 incidents, American Eagle 4 (plus a few for related American Eagle companies).
Sep 6th, 2006, 01:53 PM

I've flown Air Transat before - they're quite common in Canada, didn't even realize they weren't in the US as well...

They're a typical budget airline - safety record is fine as far as I know, only downside is the seats are a bit tight, especially if you have long legs like me (my flight from Vancouver to London gave me bruises on both my knees). Prices are generally good (ie a few hundred less than the big airlines), food is mediocre, airplanes are standard (if a bit cramped)...

I don't use them anymore for two reasons- the flights haven't worked with our schedules (I seem to recall they don't have as regular a schedule as the bigger airlines) and I find the seats just too damn close for comfort, although again I have long legs.
Sep 6th, 2006, 02:40 PM

BikerScott: Both Transat and Zoom offer premium service for those who need or like more leg room. Naturally this costs more than sitting in the tightly packed seats at the back so it may actually cost more than Air Canada or similar. I have flown Zoom (premium economy) once and it was fine and will consider them for future travels.
Sep 6th, 2006, 03:57 PM

I've flown with Air Transat many tiems and have never experienced any problems. I think their records are as good as anyone's.
Becasue they are charter airlines, their prices are usually cheaper. If the price is right, I use them, and don't hesitate. But , you do sacrifice leg room. The seats are really packed in, but I guess that's one of the reasons the price is good.

I remeber one flight, when I got on the plane I saw the seat and thgouth h no; how can I possibley go all the way to London in that seat. But I survived.
And I'd do it again for the right price.

Sep 6th, 2006, 09:53 PM

I have flown Air Transat a few times now. Vancouver to Glasgow, London and Paris. Twice we have been delayed on takeoff because of their safety concerns. The upside is that they will not fly if there is any concern. The downside is that being a small airline, there are no spare planes.
Sep 6th, 2006, 11:51 PM

Never had any problems on several flights with Air Transat. It's mostly your typical charter flight here in Canada. Nothing overly special, decent flight. I have no complaints (other than that they don't do to Vegas anymore)
Sep 10th, 2006, 12:52 AM

We just flew Zoom from Vancouver to Paris and back. Got home a few days ago! The crew was friendly, they got our vegetarian food order straight (Air Canada always messes up on this), we were comfortable and even landed about 20 minutes early. No problems at all -- I'd fly Zoom again anytime!
Sep 19th, 2006, 10:18 PM

Agree with the above- just flew Zoom fr YVR to Manchester- comfy and clean and great service. Seat had 31" pitch over Transat's (shudder) 29". Id spring for the upgrade next time but I couldlive with the regular seating if I had to
Fly them again anytime
Steve