Unique eats/restaurants in Toronto

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering if there are any unique dining experiences in Toronto to try. I live in a fairly large city with plenty of ethnic dining options and am open to most things but am looking for something new.

Can anyone recommend anything in Toronto that might be hard to find most American cities (I'm from the US)? Looking for budget to moderate dining.

Thanks.
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 06:23 PM

having not been to most American cities it is hard to know what is not available there.
Can you be a bit more specific?
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

I have a lot of ethnic restaurants in my neighborhood--Indian, Thai, Vietnamese, Peruvian, Brazilian, etc. Just looking for something different. Anything uniquely Canadian to try?
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 06:26 AM
LJ

OK, we have on offer: Portuguese, Spanish both high end and tapas, Italian-Apullian, Sicilian and pizza galore, Ethiopian, Somalian, Viet Namese, Korean, Cambodian, Indian (about 4 versions), Pakistani, French-Continental, French-Canadian and as many variations of Fusion as you would want to meet, BBQ in three styles, both Haute Cuisine and Tex-Mex Mexican, vegetarian, vegan and "fresh"/raw foods...should I go on? you might be best to simply pick up a copy of Toronto Life when you arrive and decide on the day of your dining experience what it is you want to eat. Buon apetito...
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 06:41 AM

http://www.trappersrestaurant.ca/home.asp

this one seems to promote it self as
"Canadian", but I don't know much about it.
What part of the city will you be staying in?
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 06:53 AM
LJ

Trappers gets mixed reviews on Chowhound and is VERY nfar north on Yonge St. if you are staying downtown Vita-if you are looking for upscale Canadian fare in the downtown area, you might try Canoe.
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 07:32 AM

One of Toronto's most unique features is that it is so multicultural and offers such a wide range of ethnic cuisine. Even though you have Indian food in your community, Toronto has a uniquely large population of South Asian (India, Pakistan, etc.) descent and not only is there a "Little India" district, there are dozens and dozens more Indian restaurants throughout the city. The competition makes some of them very excellent. Also, there is a very large Caribbean community with many restaurants specializing in their dishes.

There are several large "Chinatown" regions. The original is downtown, but I haven't seen a lot of great reviews on restaurants in that district recently (although it's still colourful for walking through). If you have a car - there is a newer Chinatown district mostly made up of more recent immigrants from Hong Kong (in the late 80's/early 90's) in a suburban community on the Toronto northern border, Richmond Hill, and I've heard about some excellent and truly "authentic" Chinese restaurants there.

There is a "Greektown" district on Danforth Avenue just east of the downtown, lined with many Greek eateries and sidewalk patios.

For dining "with a view", there are several restaurants overlooking the harbour and islands in the Harbourfront District (Queen's Quay). Also, the restaurant up the CN Tower (it didn't used to get great food reviews, although I've read about improvements in recent years. Spectacular view though if the weather is good).

When you arrive in town, look for the Toronto Life Magazine's special Restaurant Guide in larger Bookstores, it has hundreds of listings with details.
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 09:04 AM
BAK

Starting at "bargain."
On Saturday morning, go to the St. Lawrenece market, and get yourself a back bacon on a bun sandwich. That's a Toronto tradition, doesn't cost much, and the market's an interesting place to visit for anyone who likes food.

About the only other things you'll find in Toronto that isn't in the big US cities is Poutine -- a combo of fench fries, gravy, cheese curds. The poutine at Harvey's, a fast food burger chain, is very good, according to my 13 year old. There's a Harvey's across the street from the St. Lawrence Market.

And Swiss Chalet chicken -- rotisserie chicken, dipping sauce, low priced, excellent fries, and a million Canadian kids have been raised on this.

Vrious Swiss Chelet restaurants in town -- one across from Roy Thomson Hall. (Look for table service locations, not go-to-the-counter locations)

BAK
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 11:12 AM
LJ

Let me add to the unique Canadian foods list-most available at any good bakery of the old fashioned kind (Open Window, Hot Oven)-Nanaimo bars, butter tarts, Empire biscuits (well British, but n/a in the US).
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 09:00 AM

Ethiopia House on Yonge (http://www.ethiopianhouse.com/) - eat with your hands, awesome, real ethiopian food.

Live - Organic, Vegan and mostly Raw - interesting food! - 264 Dupont, at Spadina, 416-515-2002

Sultan's Tent - not really budget, but not too expensive. morrocan restaurant with belly dancers while you eat, and comfy cushions, etc. (http://www.thesultanstent.com/)

360 restaurant - can be cheap if you don't order a bunch of wine. It's really neat dining in a turning restaurant at the top of the cn tower!
(http://www.cntower.ca/portal/GetPage.aspx?at=860)

Plaza Flamingo - flamenco dancing while you eat, and then post-dinner salsa dancing lessons! (http://www.plazaflamingo.com/)

Floating sushi boats pass by at Fune, where you pick out the ones you want from colour-coded/priced plates (http://www.torontoplus.ca/bars_resta...aurant/1040764)

Panorama - unbelievable view of the city from the 50+ floor just north of the downtown core(http://www.dine.to/panorama)

Jamie Kennedy wine bar - Unbelievable food, excellent atmosphere and good wine (http://www.jkkitchens.com/v2/restaurants.html)

Others:
-Korea town (christie/bloor) places where you cook your own food at your table
-Eat cheap but good pub fare at the Rex on Queen West while watching world class jazz
-Order izakawa (japanese tapas) in a modern room at the supermarket on Augusta St, or at the restaurant on front called izakawa!
-Try the best, spiciest pad thai or green curry you can possibly handle, with chili ratings from 1 to 10, at Salad King on Gould

I could probably think of a dozen more, but I really should get back to work...

Jeff
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 12:28 AM

Rodney's Oyster House has a unique ambiance and fantastic seafood. Sit up at the counter and they will steam your clams for you. Rodney is a real character.

www.rodneysoysterhouse.com

Is Old Ed's still going post his death - again uniquely Canadian. Men used to need a jacket.
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 01:16 PM
BAK

Old Ed's is long gone. First Ed closed Ed's Warehouse, which was on the east side of Duncan. He kep[t Old Ed's open, on the west side of Duncan, for more years, partly because it was managed by his old frind Yale Simpson. Ed loaned part of Ol;d Ed's to the Toronto Press Club, closed the restaurants in the basement of Old Ed's, and eventually closing the restaurant after Yale died.

Too bad, because there's no roast beef nearly as good, for anywhere near the price, anyway nearby.

BAK
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 04:48 PM

I second JK's Wine Bar, it's one of my favourites (although it's neither cheap nor particularly unique in a "Toronto vs. US cities" sense...but neither are my other suggestions below)

I haven't been down in a while but some of my favourite places are in Leslieville on Queen East-- Edward Levesque's Kitchen, Tomi Kro, and Gio Rana's really, really nice restaurant.

Edward Levesque's is very "home cookin'" and is pretty cheap at lunch; the latter two, especially gio rana's, have a nightclub feel (open for dinner only) These were all very trendy and popular a couple of years ago, mixed gay/straight, funky-artsy and yuppie crowd (like Leslieville itself). All have great food.

Magic Oven Pizza might be something different- they have all sorts of unique, strange, mostly healthy, and delicious pizzas. You can buy by the slice. They even have a pizza topped with sheets of 24 k gold. They've expanded quite a bit recently- there is the original place on Broadview at Danforth, they have a place on Dupont in the Annex area, and I think they just opened on the Danforth at Pape. If you google the name they have a website.
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 05:52 PM
hdm

There's a nice view of the city if you go for a drink at dusk to the Panorama Lounge in the Manulife Centre at Bay and Bloor.
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 08:59 PM

Pity about Old Ed's. I used to always like the Hungarian restaurants on Bloor near the Brunswick House.
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 04:28 AM

Yeah the Schnitzel is awesome at Country Style across from the Brunswick (http://www.torontolife.com/guide/res...country-style/).

Here is a good article about the number of them that used to be on bloor: http://www.thestar.com/News/article/181674

Jeff
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 05:33 AM
hdm

Toronto Jeff, this is one of those amazing coincidences. I used to eat at the Country Style all the time, even before it was just a deli and not a restaurant. I went to art school at Central Tech and we'd go buy our lunches there, and then when they made it a restaurant, it was one of our regulars.

Anyway, we'd sort of fallen out of the habit and hadn't been there for oh, at least 10 years, until last Saturday night! We'd wanted to try the new bbq place at Walmer but it was too long a wait for a table so we thought we'd try the Country Style, for old times' sake. Well, I think they've given it a new coat of paint but otherwise it hasn't changed a bit. Everything was as good as I remembered it -- even the heartburn was the same! Thanks for mentioning it!
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 06:00 AM

TorontoJeff - thanks so much for the articles.

We always ate at the Korona. I loved their goulash soup and their schnitzel, but there was no way you finish both. The cucumber salad and rye bread was fantastic as well.

When I first arrived in Toronto, I waitressed at the Hungarian Castle. Their big dishes was the transylvanian platter, gypsy steaks and a zillion varieties of schnitzel. One time I served John Turner and his sons. He was lovely. A few years later my husband used to cater for John Turner and other TO establishment including Conrad Black. Black was always late for dinner parties and Turner said to my husband that a person who can't be on time believes he is more important than other people. Prophetic eh?

Sorry about the stream of consciousness but memories eh?
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 12:13 PM
LJ

Hdm, Sarvowinner: on the subject of coincidence, let me pile on! My first or second date with my husband 30 years ago was at Country Style. We were both U of T students at the time. We subsequently have lived many other places and have just in the past month come back to TO. We live in The Annex now and were out at New Generation for sushi (best of many in that area) when we spied a big line-up at Country Style and vowed to check it out again soon. Now, hdm, I'll bet you were in that line-up! BTW, sorry we missed you at the GTG, but I suspect there will be another one.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 12:18 PM
hdm

LJ -- do you live in my old house on Palmerston Blvd? Well, give it back -- it's MINE!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -