Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

4 days in Vancouver vs. Montreal vs. Toronto?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 08:11 AM
Tonya

I would like to spend 4 days in Canada next year, either around the 4th of July or Labor day. I have never been to any part of Canada so I have been doing some research. All 3 of these places sound wonderful! Can you give me some info that may help me to choose between Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal? Thank you!!!

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 09:43 AM
gary

That's a really tough question because all three cities are very unique and appeal to different tastes.<BR><BR>Vancouver is far and away the most scenic and beautiful of the three. It's also typically West Coast Laid Back especially in the summer. Over the last 20 years Vancouver has developed an Asian patina which to many has made it a true 'world class' city.<BR>There are mountains, forests, beaches and islands all within minutes of the downtown core. The closest comparison to Vancouver in the world is Sydney Australia.<BR><BR>Montreal is the ultimate combination of North American modern with European 'joie de vivre'. It easily has the best restaurants and nightlife in Canada. The French patina is overwhelming yet parts of the city are very Anglo and other parts are strongly Jewish, Italian or other ethnic flavours. If Vancouver is wonderful for the eyes, Montreal is just as wonderful for the soul.<BR><BR>Toronto is the most American of the three. In fact superficially it is just a cleaner, safer Chicago or New York. But in fact Toronto is probably the most ethnically diverse city in the world with wonderful neighbourhoods that can make you feel you're in any of a myriad of countries. Toronto,s theatre is one of the English speaking world's best and while it's night life and restaurants aern't quite as good as Montreal's it's certainly way above average. While Toronto may seem to be the least exciting of the three cities I think if you look at some of the past posts it is very popular with tourists.<BR><BR>I hope that's helped some.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 09:54 AM
Tonya

Wow, thank you for your input...it helped alot!!! It is interesting that you compare Vancouver to Sydney. It has been a dream of mine to go to Sydney but the airfare alone is quite expensive. That makes me move Vancouver to the top of the list! Thanks alot!

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 09:52 PM
Gil

I agree with Gary's comments. However if you do decide to come visit around July 4, try and make it in for Canada Day on July 1. If you do, then Vancouver or Toronto may see more excitement (fireworks and festivities) as they are closer to US cities (Seattle and Buffalo respectively) for the 4th of July festivities. In Niagara Falls the International Festival takes place from July 1 to 4. It starts with a bang and ends with a bang.<BR><BR>If you do decide to go to Montreal during this period, again come for the 1st and then head down to Ottawa. Friends have told me that they host the best Canada Day bash in the country!<BR><BR>I hope you enjoy your trip!

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 05:19 AM
Tonya

Thanks so much. I will definitely keep that in mind, the more excitement the better!

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 05:40 AM
klam

If you go to Montreal during the July 4th weekend, their International Jazz Festival will be on in full swing Also you'll probably catch one or two shows of their international fireworks competition (a separate event). <BR><BR>We went to Montreal during that week this year and had a blast Have fun whatever you decide.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 11:38 AM
barbara

I'm about to visit Toronto for the first time so can't speak to that but I have been to Montreal and Vancouver. I think the setting of Vancouver is one of the most spectacular anywhere! The food is fabulous and there are all sorts of great loding options. If you can swing a little extra time, Vancouver Island, Whistler and Salt Spring Island are all wonderful, too!!

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 01:46 PM
x

i'd pick vancouver

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 03:32 PM
xxx

Its gotta be Montreal.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 03:34 PM
Ezway

Assuming you are American, I would say avoid Toronto: nothing more than a poor imitation of a large American city. Vancouver is very nice also, but I would also chose Montreal. It is probably the most interesting and unique city in North America. The French influence most certainly does add to the flavour of the city which gives it a North American as well as European charm. Montreal has some of the best clubs, bars, restaurants, museums in the world. Give Montreal a try for at least 3 days.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 07:57 PM
xxxxxx

<BR>Montreal is filet mignon.<BR><BR>Toronto is ground beef.<BR><BR>Vancouver is a weenie.<BR><BR>Now you choose.

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 07:50 PM
annie

I agree that Montreal is a fabulous city in all ways. The other two are ok in many ways, but can not hold a candle to Montreal. Go for the best, Go to Montreal. Have a great time, I'm sure you will.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 03:52 PM
Canadian

Correction:<BR><BR>Montreal is filet mignon<BR><BR>Toronto is ground beef<BR><BR>Vancouver is tofu

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 04:23 PM
gary

I like that one. Can I use it?