toronto to montreal

Search

toronto to montreal

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
toronto to montreal

We are driving from toronto to montreal. Is there a middle place to stop for the night that would be interesting for two 12 year olds or should we drive straight through?
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 02:39 PM

You could stop in Ottawa if you like, it's a nice city with some interesting sites. But I think I would just drive straight to Montreal and spend my time there.

Layla
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 06:03 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Not a middle place, about 2/3 of the way. I have been there a few times with my kids and they always enjoyed themselves.

Mark

http://www.uppercanadavillage.com/home.htm
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 07:13 PM

I like Kingston in between, interesting from a historical, architectural point of view. Quite lovely the views of Lake Ontario also. Not sure what might appeal to 12-year olds there (there's a fort, although I haven't been and the ferry to Wolfe Island might be fun) though.
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 07:58 PM

I agree, Kingston would be a great stop, especially if anyone in your group likes history or boats or military related things.

It's a small Georgian city with a nice waterfront, lots of restaurants and hotels, very tourist- and kid friendly. Just walking around downtown would be nice, but there's also things like this:

RMC/Fort Fredrick Museum:
http://tinyurl.com/5w3udh

Fort Henry:
http://tinyurl.com/3m4gjg

Both are situated more or less next to each other on the lakefront and provide a nice opportunity to walk around outside on the grounds to get some fresh air. RMC/Fort Fredrick Museum is free/donation optional, Fort Henry has an entrance fee. The sunset ceremony involves lots of shooting canons. Both have free parking.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 07:14 AM
BAK

Ottawa is not on the route, unless you make a signifcant detour.

But the detour could be worth it. It all depends on your schedule.

Most of the 12 ywar olds I know fall into boy categories and girl categories, and are fairly different. Then again, I know a fair number of miliatry-oriented girls; Ottawa a a war museum and a great aviation museum, plus the fairly interesting to a 12 year old Museum of Civilization in Hull.

Toronto to KIngston is 3 hours on the main highway. Kingston to Montreal is another three hours on the main highway.

Add one hour to each segment if you want to take the old highway down nearer the lake and the St.Lawrence, drive through Port Hope and Cobourg and Belleville and Cornwall, and visit Prince Edward County.

Go swimming at Sandbanks Provincial Park? That could take three or four hours, and then put you into KIngston for the night.

BAK
Old Jun 6th, 2008, 03:28 AM

another vote for Kingston for the reasons given by others.
My kids (2 boys) really liked Fort Henry at around age 12.

You could stop at Kingston overnight and also have time for Upper Canada Village the next day en route to Montreal. It really depends on how much you and your kids enjoy historic sites

Ottawa also has a lot to see but since you are going to two other big cities I would recommend the other route