Toronto this weekend - what to do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2005, 02:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a young active couple going to Toronto for the weekend, need quick tips on what to do and what not to miss! Will probably head to CN Tower just so we can say we have been there, but looking for fun and interesting restaurants, shopping districts or Chinatown areas, or theatre shows that are a must see, can anyone help?
Thanks so much for any and all help/suggestions
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 03:49 AM

In addition to the tips you get from fodorites, check out www.nowtoronto.com and www.eye.net for current listings and ideas for what to do in Toronto.

Shopping districts: everyone tell you to go to Queen West, but sometimes tourists never get past the strip that runs from University Ave to Spadina. This was the original Queen West, but more recently it has been mostly taken over by the big chain stores (although there are still some interesting unique shops and restaurants). By all means, start at University Avenue but keep going past Spadina. It will look a bit unpromising at first (this is the garment district) but then it picks up again. This is where the funky shops and art galleries moved when they were priced out of the eastern part of Queen West. If you have a metro daypass, you could hop on and off the streetcar, eg get on at Spadina, get off at Bathurst - walk to Trinity Bellwoods and get on again to ride out as far as the Drake Hotel (a bit too cool, but a good place to relax for a drink if you don't arrive during peak hours). Lots of interesting shops, galleries and restaurants along the way.

As an alternative to Chinatown, how about Little India via Little Italy? Have breakfast/brunch in Little Italy (College St, west of Bathurst), then get on the streetcar and ride it all the way east (about a 30 minute ride) to Little India (which is about a 6 block stretch just west of Coxwell. You'll also pass through Cabbagetown on the way. Parts of the route are a little run down (not dangerous, just not wealthy), but you'll get an interesting tour of Toronto. Little India isn't so much a residential district as an area where the local Indian population congregates to shop and dine out. After shopping in the sari shops and having lunch, take the Coxwell bus south to Queen Street East (a 5 minute ride, you could walk it, too), then catch the Queen Streetcar east to the Beaches (about 5-10 minutes). This used to be a weekend retreat for Toronto residents; now it's a funky neighbourhood with an interesting streetlife. Not the most memorable restaurants, but good for a coffee break. You can head down to the boardwalk and walk along the lake. Then back up to Queen and catch the streetcar home.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Kate_W - that is just the kind of suggestions I am looking for. Keep 'em coming!
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 08:58 PM

Bloor Street West between Yonge and Avenue Road and Yorkville is the city's top shopping district.

For snacks or lunch, check out Whole Foods in Hazelton Lanes or Pusateris on Bay and Yorkville.

Also on Avenue Road in the area of Whole Foods is a Ferrari and Rolls Royce storefront dealership.

For drinks and relaxation, try the rooftop garden at the Hyatt or the Panorama Lounge in the Manulife building.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 12:49 PM
hdm

If you can get tickets, go see Blue Man Group - it's so much fun! There are tons of restaurants around the theatre at all price ranges. I like Saigon Sister which is across the road and up a bit.

I haven't read previous responses carefully so forgive me if I'm repeating stuff. Kensington Market is fascinating and butts up to Chinatown. For cheap meals, try the noodle houses on Spadina -- Kim Hoa (n. of Dundas) and Goldstone (s. of Dundas) are two of my favourites. The St. Lawrence Market area is lots of fun especially if you can go on a Sunday when the north market is open. There are places to eat in the market (don't forget downstairs) or outside. A few are Springrolls (pan Asian), the Hot House (various), Papillion (Breton style crepes and they may still have a great brunch buffet on Sunday), Shopsy's (deli), Penelope's (Greek), the Keg (steaks).

Kate's suggestion of NOW is a good one and you can pick up a free copy just about anywhere or see in online at (I think) nowtoronto.com. Also try harbourfront.ca to see if anything is happening at the lakeshore and distillerydistrict.com to see if anything is going on there. If you're at the Distillery District be sure to visit Sandra Ainsley's glass gallery.

If you're at the lakeshore, have a dim sum lunch at the Pearl in the Queen's Quay Terminal building and ask for a table overlooking the lake. Or if it's a nice day, sit outside at Il Fornello (on the main floor) or the restaurant (which they own) next to it.

The Billy Crystal show, 700 Sundays, is playing here till Sunday but I'd be surprised if you could get tickets. It's great, though, and it's in a beautiful theatre.

Why don't you start by taking a double-decker bus tour just to get the feel of the city. Then you can go back to the places that interest you.