toronto thanksgiving

Search

toronto thanksgiving

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
toronto thanksgiving

I'm American visiting my daughter at U of T. Where is a good place to eat on this day? We like sophisticated and/or ethnic food.
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 11:38 AM
hdm

I think most restaurants will be open on Thanksgiving Day. For places within walking distance of UofT check the following:

Truffles, The Studio Cafe or Avenue at the Four Seasons Yorkville
Boba on Avenue Road
Sotto Sotto on Avenue Road
Joso's on Dupont
Arlequin on Avenue Road
Also check restaurants at the Park Hyatt Hotel

For ethnic food you'll have to be a bit more specific re what you like -- there's a wide variety of ethnic neighbourhoods in Toronto.
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. Of the ones you mentioned, we have eaten at Sotto Sotto which we liked. When I say ethnic I must confess I like it all: Ethiopian to Thai to Indian, you name it! We'll try anything.
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 02:21 PM

I would still call ahead of time for openings on that monday.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 04:26 AM
BAK

Why not ask your daughter to ask her new University friends for a suggestion of a fancy place that would work for you?

This would be a good chance for her to semi-host you, even you you pay the bill.

And, consideringthe price range you seem willing to encounter, a few dollars more for a taxi or two doesn'tmattr, openingup even more places.

Does she have some favorite food she misses from home? You might find a Toronto restaurant that serves this. We can offr hints.

If it was my daughter at UoT and it was a special dinner, I'd take her to the Studio Cfe at the Four Seasons. Which, in fact, I did several times when she was in opera school there.

BAK
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 05:04 AM
hdm

The Studio Cafe at the Four Seasons is a lovely room. I've been there many times for lunch/brunch but never for dinner. It's very pretty but less formal (read 'stuffy'), I think, than Truffles. I'm sure you can see their dinner menu on their website.
By the way, I meant to say that if you are going to be around for a Sunday brunch, check to see if the Hart House Grill is open that weekend. They do a nice Sunday brunch in a charming room overlooking the Great Hall at Hart House. Ask for a table overlooking the Hall.
There are plenty of other nice places around the city. I only suggested those within walking distance of UofT because, well, they're of walking distance. Also, it's a pretty time of year in a pretty neighbourhood.