Toronto, strawberries, Casa Loma

Jul 7th, 2008, 12:24 PM
BAK
Original Poster

Toronto, strawberries, Casa Loma

My family, which ncludes a 13 year old boy, plus a spare 13 year old boy, spent Saturday at Casa Loma.

BEautiful day and a Renaissance Festival was on -- over now, so you missed it.

That said, here's a recommendation for adults, and kids up to about 12, to go visit. Lots of antiques, great gardens, a wonderful building, an opportunity to see other tourists -- fun to watch the Indians and the Japanese relate to the Renaissance Festival people.

Decent barbecue food, perhaps there just brecause of the festival, but the inside restaurant / snack bar is a Druyxy's Deli, with fairly priced food that is usually very good, too.

That was probably half my summer holiday.

Sunday -- another recommendation, although perhaps more useful to locals.

I went strawberry picking for the first time in my life. Turns out the fields are covered with thick straw so that even my somewhat creaky kneees were comfortable. Just sit there on the ground and reach around and fill a box in five minutes. We ended up with 15 pounds of excellent strawberries for $40, and, good as Califormia b erries are, Ontario strawberries eaten in the field (there was no security guard watching us "test" the crop)are wonderful. As I type, two boxes sit on the counter, getting two or three berries lighter each time I pass.

We went to Uncle Scott's berry picking place, on Appleby Line (which runs north from Oakville). The field is just south of Derry Road, which is where Appleby Line ends. M-F 8 to 8; 8-7 on Saturday and 8-6 on Sunday. Bring shallow containers yourself, (deep containers allow the berries to squash each other) or buy them there.

Raspberry picking starts next week, and we'll go back.

My other three tourist hints -- Montana's is back to Sunday to Wednesday all you can eat ribs. The Starbucks breakfast sandwich is well worth buying, but my advisor suggest saugage is even better than the bacon one. And, just in case you did not notice, you get free refills of coffee if you buy it with the Sttarbucks pre-paid card.

BAK
Jul 7th, 2008, 02:55 PM

It sounds like you had a great 'vacation'.

My out of town guests were at Casa Loma on Friday and loved it.

I'm glad to hear you were in my neck of the woods on Sunday.
Another good place to pick berries is at Hutchinson's farm on Walkers Line between Britannia and Derry.
They are a great family and they have great berries. They also sell them at the Burlington Farmers Market on Wed and Sat.

( BTW, I just have to say Appleby Line is in Burlington !!) I must give a plug to Burlington.
Jul 7th, 2008, 03:47 PM

Thanks for the tips. I have never been to Casa Loma.
Apparently Emma's Backporch has good specials on Wed. We are going to make our way there at some point this summer. I also want to try the new Cora'as in Ancaster and see what all the excitement is about.

We have berry picking all over the outskirts of Dundas. We are going to go raspberry picking soon, if it's not too hot.
Jul 7th, 2008, 04:54 PM

I love Emma's. I took my out of town guests there last night and sat on the patio overlooking the water.
Get there early on Wednesdays. It gets busy. The beef ribs and the wings are great.

I also love Cora's. There is one coming to Burlington too. I didn't know about the one in Ancaster.

Hutchinson's on Walkers Line has raspberries too.

We bought cherries down in Niagara on the weekend and I've been overdosing on them.
Jul 7th, 2008, 05:14 PM

I know about the overdosing. I have strawberries , cherries, and raspberries that I bought on the way home from Brantford. How do we survive winter?
I have been told by others to get to Emma's early- Thanks for the heads up.
Just to add to the touring in your own area theme, we hiked Rattlesnake Point to Crawford Lake on the weekend. About 13km round trip. Beautiful walk but buggy.
Jul 7th, 2008, 06:42 PM

I love that area for hiking. I wish I'd had time to take my guests to Crawford Lake...and then to do the hike right at Crawford around the lake.

YOu did really well! You deserve more berries!!

Jul 7th, 2008, 06:47 PM
BAK
Original Poster

I'm willing to admit to Appleby Line being in Burlington; but it's farmland Burlington and the nearest metropolis with both a Tim Hortons and a Starbucks is Milton.

My son is, from time to time, a rock climbing instructor at Rattlesnake Point, which is how we know that Uncle Scott's is nearby.

AS I type, strawberry jam is going into jars on the kitchen counter.

Probably my next installment of summer vacation will be a to Trenton and back day to pick up the aforementioned son from Air Cadet camp. This trip might include the prioson museum in Kingston.

BAK
Jul 7th, 2008, 07:04 PM

Bak I wish I knew more details, but my great grandmother ( might be my Great Great grandmother ) was born in Kinston Pen. Her father ( my GGG Grandfather was the warden at the time.
I suppose they lived in an apartment there.

Enjoy it.
Jul 7th, 2008, 07:37 PM

Bak
Hi. What organization does your son instruct with? The reason we went to Rattlesnake Point is because my sons had climbed there the previous week, with a youth climbing club. They are looking for a course to learn how to set the ropes up etc so eventually they can go on their own. We are having a hard time finding a place that does it, and they may be too yoing anyway. (11 and 13).

Search this Thread