Search

Toronto over New Year's?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2003, 10:12 AM
Wyn
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toronto over New Year's?

I was considering taking a trip to Toronto over New Year's with the girlfriend. Aside from it being cold, does any recommend this or recommend against doing this? I have been to Toronto before, but she hasn't.
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 01:52 PM
Syv

Sure. C'mon up. There is lots to see & do. Pretty sure the "big" televised NY eve celebration is always at Nathan Philips Square (concerts / countdown, etc.)

What specific questions / things are you looking to do? If you've been before, you'll have some idea where to take your girlfriend. Skydome / C.N. Tower / lots of shopping & dining areas (depends on your interests).

Might not be too miserable at end of Dec. / beginning of January. Probably not too much actual SNOW right downtown. You'd have to get outside the city to do snow activities.
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 12:38 PM

I was actually trolling here looking for Toronto NYE info too! My hubby and I are 29 and holding, like to have a good time (ie, beer must be involved, so no driving!) I would like to start the evening with a GREAT meal! Probably a steakhouse w/ some pasta options to suit both of our tastes. So what hotel/area of the city should we look into? What bars do you recommend? We both love hockey (Go Wings!) so a sports bar would be great, and we definately plan on going to the Hockey Hall of Fame! Any other suggestions?
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 01:24 PM
BAK

The only sensible places to stay are within a rectanngle starting a few blocks above Bloor Street, (east-west)at the top, and lake ontario at the bottom, between Jarvis Street to the East and Spadina Avenue to the west.

The Bloor Street area is more expensive, in broad terms, than further south, closer to the lake.

Toronto is a good steak city, but getting pastas involved makes things more difficult.

At the lower end of the price scale, Milestones, on John Street south of Queen, sells an excellent, reasonably priced, reasonably sized steak. I had one the other night. And there's lots of pasta on the menu.

Moving up several notches in price, and narrowing down the pasta options, there's Ruth's Chris and Barberian's, each about the same distance as the other from Toronto's city hall square, where there's usually a big New Year's Eve celebration.

Milestpone's would be a tgen minute walk to the square; the other two are a five minute walk.

BAK
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 07:54 PM

We've been going to Le Biftheque. There is one in the Sheraton Hotel (across from City Hall). They have a few other locations in Toronto. For a hockey atmosphere you can head to Gretzky's. It's in the entertainment district. Can't say that I would pick any restaurant for both steak and pasta. I ususally pick one or the other.