Reload this Page >

Toronto or Montreal

Search

Toronto or Montreal

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 1999, 01:21 AM
Peter

Toronto or Montreal

I will be in this area in mid April on business and will have a weekend to spare. Any suggestions on which is a better place to visit? How important is it to know French in Montreal?

Old Feb 21st, 1999, 11:07 PM
Donna

Well, it's not necessary at all to know French to visit Montreal. As for which is a better place to visit - both are wonderful! And, each has an "underground" city in case the weather is nasty. This is not a plug - but, you may want to take a look at Fodor's Citypack for each city - these are awesome compact tour guides with terrific maps. Depending upon how you wish to spend your time, you might find one or the other more appealing.

Old Feb 22nd, 1999, 05:38 AM
Monty

I have spent a lot of time in both cities. My choice would be Montreal with no question. Toronto, though a nice city, is really no different than many other cities. On the other hand Montreal is unique. It is one of my favorite places to visit. You do NOT have to know French in order to enjoy Montreal. Montreal allows you to have enjoy a foreign culture without leaving North America. Make sure that you ride on the Metro. Many things to do and see.

Old Feb 22nd, 1999, 09:37 AM
Brian Kilgore

If you have a serious hobby or interest, that might make a difference. Each city has a major art gallery; you might want to see one exhibit more than another. <BR>I've lived in both cities, concurrently, for several years. Montreal is, for a North American, much moreforeign, so, for a weekend, it may be a better adventure. You do not need to spoeak French, as long as you stay in the city iteslf and do not head out into the country. And, as far as that goes, if you go to touristy parts of the country, you'll be fine speaking English, too. <BR> <BR>If I knew more about you and where you are from (does au mean Austria or Australia?) I could be more specific. If you are from Austria, come to Toronto. It's less European. If you are from Australia, go to Montreal, because it is mopre European. Toronto's a lot like Sydney. <BR> <BR>BAK <BR>

Old Feb 22nd, 1999, 07:49 PM
Domenic

Peter, go to Montreal. Much nicer, more interesting things to see, women are gorgeous, night-life is great (Crescent Street), and don't worry about knowing French - you can by with English. <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 23rd, 1999, 11:03 PM
Peter

Thanks all. Comments much appreciated. The au means Australia by the way

Old Feb 27th, 1999, 08:41 PM
Brian

Peter, I recommend Montreal over Toronto also. The mix of French- and English-speaking cultures (francophone and anglophone, as we say in Canada), plus the cultures of more recent immigrant communities (allophone) will be more unique than Toronto. <BR> <BR>If you have a car and want to spend an afternoon outside the city, I suggest that you take Highway 15 north into the Laurentian Mountains (about 45 minutes to an hour away). Beautiful countryside and the small mountains such as Saint-Sauveur will have springtime skiing if you are game. (It may still snow a bit in early April.) <BR> <BR>In any case, if you want to enjoy your time even more, bring a small French-language phrase book, since French is the first language of most people in the area, and they will appreciate the effort and be more open to help you if you make an attempt. <BR> <BR>On that note, one last suggestion - memorize this phrase and have it handy written down: "Pardonez-moi, je visite de l'Australie et je ne parle pas français. Pouvez-vous m'aidez, s'il vous plaît?" (Pardon me, I'm visiting from Australia and I don't speak French. Can you help me, please?) <BR> <BR>Cheers!

Old Mar 7th, 1999, 07:15 PM
Brian Kilgore

Peter, since au means australia, go to Montreal. <BR>I lived in both cities for the past few years, Toronto from Mon-Thur and Montreal Fri-Sun. We watched the Australian Grand Prix last night, and thought Melbourne looked a lot like Toronto. So go to Montreal; it is very different. <BR>BAK <BR>