Reload this Page >

Toronto info needed pls..

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 10:41 AM
sim

i am planning to spend 6 days in toronto end of july and want to know whether it is worth a place that needs spending 6 days in...other than the niagara & c.n.tower & the harbourfront centre is there anything else to do...i mean there is just that much one can keep walkin the streets of toronto...any info & advice will be welcomed..thanks.

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 03:39 PM
Brian Kilgore

No. <BR> <BR>Go to Paris or Rome or maybe London. <BR> <BR>BAK

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 04:48 AM
Susan

Kind of an odd response, so I'm assuming that Brian is being sarcastic here. Or maybe it's an attempt at humour...... <BR> <BR>Yes, there is lots to do in Toronto. A good website is www.toronto.com where you can find out about the various activities. Toronto also has some great neighbourhoods. If you do a search (not that far back), others have been asking about what to do in Toronto and there are some good ideas there.

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 09:31 AM
Brian Kilgore

SUSAN: it was neither sarcasm nor humor. More frustration. <BR> <BR>It really was a silly question, even taking into account that English was not this person's first language. <BR> <BR>Of course the largest city in Canada has more to do than the CN Tower and Niagara Falls and harbourfront, but this person provided us with no indication of any interersts, any skills, any demographic informtion. Just no thinking was put into this question, making it pretty much impossible to offer any good advice. <BR> <BR>there are a dozen other Toronto threds here this person could have gone to for info, but instead we get this lame attempt at information gathering. <BR> <BR>But if someone has six days to spend, and doesn't want to provide a well thought out question, there's no doubt in my mind that just about anyone would find more to do in London or Rome or Paris. <BR> <BR>If a better question is asked, if clarification is given, someone may offer great ideas. Textile Museum? Shoe Museum? Hockey Hall of Fame? Jane Corkin Gallery? Horseraces? <BR> <BR>But the question was so bad we can't help. <BR> <BR>BAK

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 09:38 AM
Susan

BRIAN - My goodness, you're snippy for a communicator / PR type of guy - "But the question was so bad we can't help"?? - then don't!

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 09:58 AM
kf

I agree w/Brian. It seemed like the questioner had already made his mind up that Toronto was going to be dull for him and wanted to be convinced otherwise. Why should anyone who knows and likes the city be compelled to approach this from a defensive position when so many other people are asking specific questions that merit thoughtful responses? It's not like there's no information on the city on this cite or elsewhere. It was no different than asking "Oh, what's in New York besides the Statue of Liberty and the Empire State Building?" I thought the questioner deserved the answer Brian gave...or worse.

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 10:10 AM
Susan

I admit I get frustrated with some of the questions I see as well - for example, if I see one more question on the Latin American forum about the best all inclusive ...... Or another personal favourite, 'how should I dress in Europe'. But I try to ignore those questions rather than putting down the person who asked the question. <BR> <BR>So I've just learned something - I should have just ignored Brian's response!

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 11:15 AM
garyt

Hey...let's ride this pony back onto the path...Toronto is a major world stage behind London and Broadway...Lion King, Full Monty, a little gem called Mama Mia(based on the music of ABBA) and at least 5 major productions through the summer... for the artsy, there's Queen St. with its boutiques, sidewalk vendors, and outdoor bistros...july also brings a major world islands celebration, caribanna and a city wide arts and performance festival...there are cultural neighborhoods including Chinatown, GreekTown, and the Kensington Market area...Toronto has a major Fashion District as well as the center of commerce on the Toronto Stock Exchange...Shopping in Toronto ranks in the top 5 cities in the world at places like Hazelton Lanes, Yorkville, and Eaton Center. The Toronto Zoo,Second City Comedy, Canada's Wonderland, Ontario Place, Ontario Science Centre, Roy Thompson Hall, SkyDome, Molson Brew Tour, and less than 40 minutes away, Niagara on-the-Lake Wine Country...C'mon sim, keep your chin up and visit one of the cleanest, busiest cities in the world with a better attitude.

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 04:10 PM
Yes

Toronto is undoubedly the most boring city there is. It has no identity, and no sense of place or history. That's why it is used in so many movies -it could be anywhere because it's nowhere. <BR> <BR>There is very little to do. There are decent restaurants and shopping, but nothing that you can't eat or do elsewhere. There really isn't much at the harborfront <BR> <BR>There isn't much to do in he area, apart from Niagra falls. Places like Niagra-on-the-Lake and Unionville don't really have very much and are hardly worth the trip. <BR> <BR>It is also bythe far the unfriendliest city I've ever been. Not hostile, but just no at all friendly. It also the worst service in stores and restaurants in he world. People in Toronto complain about it all the time. <BR> <BR>One last thing. The notion that Toronto is clean disppeared 15 years ago. <BR>

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 10:59 AM
garyt

Yes...have you considered adding spellcheck to your PC? Also maybe No would better describe your attitude...