Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2008, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toronto fourth in culture?

I expect a lot won't agree with the following:

"Toronto 4th in world for culture

TOP 10 CITIES

The top 10 "global cities," according to Foreign Policy magazine, A.T. Kearney consultants and The Chicago Council on Global Affairs. The rankings were based on five broad criteria – business, culture, human capital, global political influence and centrality to global information flows.

New York
London
Paris
Tokyo
Hong Kong
Los Angeles
Singapore
Chicago
Seoul
Toronto

Oct 21, 2008 04:30 AM

Iain Marlow
Staff Reporter

Toronto ranks as the world's fourth best city to experience culture, behind only London, Paris and New York, a new study on globalization has found.

Washington, D.C.-based Foreign Policy magazine's inaugural Global Cities Index, in the November/December issue, assesses 60 urban areas around the globe in five broad categories: business, human capital, culture, global political influence and the centrality of the city to global information flows.

The "cultural experience" category tallies cities' international sporting events and international travellers, and assesses their restaurants, museums and performing arts.

Toronto received praise for the quality and cosmopolitan nature of its cuisine – 94 per cent of our top restaurants are "international" – and the city's place in the North American touring circuit.

The survey's data also cites Massey and Roy Thomson halls and the Toronto Symphony Orchestra.

Toronto placed 10th overall out of the 60, edging out Washington, D.C., which came in 11th. But Toronto ranks lower in international business and global political influence, 26th and 24th respectively.

Toronto fared better as a place of international learning, as the 13th best place to take a university degree. In that category, it's sandwiched between Bangkok and Madrid – and distant from London, Tokyo and Singapore, all in the top five.

The top business cities were New York, Tokyo, Paris, and London, while Washington, D.C. placed first in terms of international political influence.

Kolkata, India, ranked 60th, placed close to last in every category.

Three of the top 10 "global cities" were in North America, four in Asia and two in Europe.

"The term itself conjures a command centre for the cognoscenti. It means power, sophistication, wealth, and influence. To call a global city your own suggests that the ideas and values of your metropolis shape the world," the authors wrote.

Foreign Policy has published indexes measuring countries' levels of globalization, and ranked the world's top 100 public intellectuals."

Old Oct 21st, 2008, 12:11 PM
BAK

I've spent years sorting out the differences between capital C Culture and lower case c culture.

And we don't know the style guide used by the editors at Foreign Policy magazine.

But the article provides some hints.

For sports, we've got the US basketball, hockey, and baseball that international travellers want to see. Do many travellers from outside Asia go to Tokyo and want to see some sport played at its top level?

I've only been to six of the ten cities, so there's lots I dopn't know. In Toronto, in the last little while, I've eaten several forms of Asia food, some Italian food, lots of "Canadian" food, some British good if we count Shepard's Pie, and know that a fifteen minute drive would get me to good food from a dozen other nations. I wonder if you can do that anywhere as easily in Seoul or Tokyo, or even in Los Angeles.

We've got Second City like Chicago and Spamalot like London, and Chorus Line like New York and the Nuit Blanche thing was a big deal, apparently.

And the Hoochie Mamas, of course.

BAK
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 12:21 PM

Wow, I've been to 8 of the 10 cities and many of them several times. That's all I care about. Not that I'm self-absorbed or anything.
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 12:30 PM

Toronto has hockey?
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

And talk today is we might have another team! Hockey, I mean.
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 01:54 PM

Well, Hamilton has lobbied on and off to get an NHL club. Maybe the Leafs can be their farm team...

And pretty soon you'll have the Bills full time, once the NFL lets them permanently hop over the border (which could be the death knell for the Argos and perhaps the CFL).

In my opinion, a sports culture is more of negative than a positive, but I guess there are lots of ways of measuring culture. Toronto is certainly culturally diverse.

Okay, one last joke.
The Lord said to Moses, "Come forth!"
So he did, and lost the race.

JQ
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 05:50 PM

The nature of several factors limits Canada to three major "cities of influence"... Vancouver, Montreal, and Toronto... since the money has landed for the most part in Toronto, so has the diversity, population, culture and arts.....

To me NY is too new Yorkie... Paris is too frenchie.... london is too british and on and on down the list... but Toronto has a multicultural base that can pull off almost anything... I doubt you'll find Caribana in Seoul...

With another 100 years under its belt and smart leadership, Toronto could be Number 1 ...
Old Oct 24th, 2008, 08:02 AM

"With another 100 years under its belt and smart leadership, Toronto could be Number 1 ..."'

and have good PUBLIC TRANSIT

like New York, Paris, London, Chicago, Tokyo and a few not on the list : Madrid, Barcelona (talk about culture!), Stockholm, Berlin, Sydney,
Melbourne .......
Old Oct 24th, 2008, 12:54 PM

There is no way Toronto ranks 4th for culture. Toronto lacks a major league art museum, that is comparable to the Chicago Art Institute or Boston's MFA (let alone NYC's Met or London's National Gallery).

Toronto is not home to any renowned theater companies - when was the last time a play that was developed in Toronto that had worldwide success? Toronto's theater scene is comprised largely of road shows of former Broadway hits (like Jersey Boys).

Old Oct 24th, 2008, 12:57 PM

"when was the last time a play that was developed in Toronto that had worldwide success?"

Last year. The Drowsy Chaperone was written by a Torontonian and was first presented as a Fringe Festival play.
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

I disagree about the theatre scene - yes, we get a lot of road shows - but Mama Mia started here - however, there are many small theatre companies. Not all listed here: http://www.toronto.worldweb.com/Busi...atreCompanies/

The Art Gallery re-opens, finally, in a few weeks - we'll see then how it measures up. Certainly, it's going to be interesting architecture designed by Frank Gehry, who was born not far from the site of the AGO.