Search

tofino

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2000, 07:40 AM
judy

tofino

going to Tofino 1st wk in June and would appreciate info re hiking trails,whale watching/hot springs tours and restaurants. Are they worth the money or is it better to explore on your own. Thanks - heard it's a wonderful place.

Old May 21st, 2000, 12:36 PM
sheri

Ah, my favorite place in the Northwest. I hope you'll love it as much as I do. <BR> <BR>Hiking trails: I love the rainforest trails in the Pacific Rim Nat'l park. Another favorite is the trail from the Wickanninish visitors center out to Florencia Beach. <BR> <BR>I finally did the hot springs tour on my last visit (it was about my fifth time up to Tofino; I'd just never made the time before since there's so much else to do!), but it is well worth it, and we did see a whale on the way (it was October so not peak whale season). I'm not sure what you're asking about--"worth the money or explore on your own"--unless you have a boat, I'm not sure how you'd do the hot springs trip or go whale watching! <BR> <BR>Another must, IMO, is a sea kayaking trip to Meares Island to see the amazing trees out there. Tofino Sea Kayaking has been doing trips for years (since before sea kayaking became so trendy and popular). They also do an overnight trip to the Vargas Island Inn that is SO much fun; it's a rustic inn that's a great compromise if you're not a camper. <BR> <BR>Restaurants: the Pointe at the Wickanninish Inn is a worthwhile splurge; reserve WAY ahead or call for last minute cancellations. If Clayoquot Wilderness Resort is offering dinner to non-guests, GO. It's fabulous (you need to take a water taxi there; call the resort for more info). In town, my favorite is the Rain Coast Cafe, and for fresh, simple steamed crab, there's the Crabpot or something like that (on the main road into town, on the left). <BR> <BR>Have a blast! Where are you staying?

Old May 21st, 2000, 12:40 PM
April

Just curious Sheri, what do you mean by amazing trees on Meares? Amazing for size, type, number...?

Old May 21st, 2000, 03:15 PM
sheri

Size and age. There's one cedar in particular that is just so old and so huge, it gives off a magical energy all its own. I shudder to think that they were even *considering* clear-cutting there...

Old May 29th, 2000, 03:27 PM
Deborah

Raincoast cafe!!! Yes, excellent! We went on a whale watch tour with a native company, better than others as it wasn't crowded but all are generally good to see grey whales and sea lions. I wanted to do the hot springs but didn't have time, heard it's good. Wanted to hike but got chicken when we saw 2 black bears in one day, near trails!