Theatre in Toronto, Summer 2004

Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Theatre in Toronto, Summer 2004

What shows are scheduled to be in production this summer? I received a card about The Producers but it only mentioned this spring. Trying to plan a get-a-way for my 18 yr old and I before he heads off to college.
Apr 3rd, 2004, 04:20 PM
BAK

the three big-time shows in Toronto this sumemr are The producers, at the Canon theatre on Yonge Sttreet, Hair Spray at the Princess of Wales, on King Street West and John Street, and Mamma Mia, at the Royal Alexandra Theatre, on King Street West near University. (A couple of blocks from the Princess of Wales)

All three shows are Mirvish proiductions, www.Mirvish.com, and all three are part of various promotions, including the InToronto program that involves hotels.

1-800-775-4379

BAK
Apr 4th, 2004, 09:48 AM

While I don't want to knock the major touring musicals, Toronto also has other fabulous theatre, some of which is challenging and controversial.

Below is the link for a great site that lists all types of shows (they also have concert, festvals, events etc. listings):
http://www.pathcom.com/~dbp98/city_e...e/theatre.html
Apr 4th, 2004, 11:02 AM

While I know Toronto gets a lot of press for being a major theatre town, I found during our five days there two summers ago, surprisingly void of theatre. There were a couple of big musicals playing -- which I'd already seen. And there were a couple of dinner theatre/mystery theatre type shows going -- not my thing. Of course, we saw five shows at Stratford and six at Niagra-on-the-Lake, but most of the regular theatre companies right in Toronto are dark in the summer. Not much of anything happening. In fact, I couldn't find a single show to see -- and my tastes are pretty varied. There just wasn't any REAL theatre going on then.
Apr 4th, 2004, 11:46 AM
BAK

Shakespeare in High Park is easy get to, and fun.

And there's ging to be some sort of other outdoor Shakespeare production in Toronto this summer, apparently.And Yuk Yuk's, the Laugh Resort, and Second City may or may not be theatre, depending on one's definition.

Tony and Tina's Wedding is still on, too. I know people who loved it, and who hated it. No neutrals that I've met.

BAK
Apr 4th, 2004, 01:33 PM

And Yuk Yuk's, the Laugh Resort, and Second City may or may not be theatre, depending on one's definition.

I suppose that's true, but none of those fit MY definition of theatre. Nor does Tony and Tina's Wedding for that matter.
Apr 4th, 2004, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks BAK. My son is interested in seeing The Producers. What would be a good choice for a hotel near the Canon Theatre?
Apr 4th, 2004, 05:18 PM
BAK

Several hotel thoughts.

I would not pick a hotel based on going to the theatre. The Canon theatre is so central that, to a large extent, the hotel does not matter.

It's on Yonge Street, between the Queen Street and Dundas Street subway stations, soyou can get close by public transit easily from anywhere worth staying.

It's a short walk from the biggest hotels; just downt the street from the Delta Chelsea, and a short walk across Queen Street or Richmond toi Yonge from the Hilton and the Sheraton.

The Eaton Center Marriott is almost directly across from it, except you need to cut through the eaton Centre shopping mall. Fifteen minutes of interesting walk from Le Germain and the Holiday Inn on King, Maybe ten minutes walk, maybe 15 from the Novatel on the Esplanade.
Ten minutes from the King Edward (Meridien) and Cambridge Suites.

Ten minutes from the Metropolitan, which I think of as dull. 15 minutes from the Royal York by foot.

Tell us more about your son, and maybe we can narrow things down.

Thinking back to when I was 18, or when my big kids were 18, or when my little kid may become 18, and if this was a special deal, I might opt for class and sophistication and elegance; if the budget permitted I'd pick the Four Seasons or Windsor Arms, and if money was a bit tighter, the Fairmont Royal York, with its great lobby, or the elegant King Edward.

But if he wanted a good pool, and if things should be more casual, the Delta Chelsea or the Sheraton Centre.

All in all, it does not matter that much. The theatre is central and lots of hotels are good, and close, or on the subway.

BAK

BAK