Search

The "Real" BC

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The "Real" BC

Hello all. I've been up to B.C., visited salt spring, victoria, squamish, vancouver, etc. I'm heading up to this area again in august (the best time!) and was trying to find out from "real people" what other places would be good to go to. I'm 24 and am looking for cities that have a great nightlife, but more importantly am looking for adventure. What national parks on Vancouver island are the best to check out in terms of hiking and sights? What areas other than the ones i listed would be worth checking out? I want to know your favorite parts of B.C., the insiders scoop into really getting a taste of the province.
Old May 8th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

And also...The best parts of the Vancouver area...Where are the top places to go? Nothing Tourist!! It's been done!
Old May 8th, 2007, 07:57 PM

All kinds of people post here I'm sure we would all classify ourselves as '<i>real</i>'.

The demographic you represent though is better served by LP TT http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/ca...s.cfm?catid=11 equally '<i>real</i>' but more opinionated and fractious definitely.

Adventure-the place is full of hiking opportunities from local hikes with http://www.northshorehikers.org/ to remote treks as described on http://www.clubtread.com/

I gravitate more toward the water and-maybe Sea Kayaking appeals to you www.ecomarine.com might run into tourists though maybe even on a paddle out to the Bunsbys.

In short-there are <b><u>no</u></b> cities with great night life this is a small provincial city that's often referred to as &quot;<i>No Fun City</i>' and with good reason.

Ditto the other smaller cities in the province.

In the city itself rent a bicycle and head to Little India for lunch-a very Vancouver thing to do as is picnicking anywhere along English Bay.

It's all about the outdoors even in the city-cycling/kayaking/sailing/playing volleyball.

Old May 9th, 2007, 08:03 AM

Are you wanting to stick around the Vancouver area, or hoping to go inland a bit (Cariboo, Okanogan, Rockies, etc.)?

How long do you have? Are you flying in to Vancouver or driving?
Old May 9th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info Sam, I appreciate it....
Camelbak -
I'd like to venture off from Vancouver and head deeper into the province. My time frame is open-ended. I'm heading to Vancouver from Seattle probably by bus. Although I'm starting out from San Fransisco, so you never know!
I'm thinking about heading to Tofino and spending time on the west coast. I'm just looking for the gems of B.C. and Vancouver Island. Help me Dig!!
Old May 26th, 2007, 08:11 PM

If your thinking of heading to Tofino in August you will be there smack dab in the middle of tourist season which is something you entirely want to avoid right?

My first thought was head up the Coquihalla and hit Kamloops, Salmon Arm and through to Banff and Jasper. Great scenery..hiking..lakes..small towns..good pubs, etc., etc.

You could also head to the Okanagan (Kelowna, Peachland, etc.) and hit the lake beaches.

In August there is also the Merritt Mountain Music Festival which is a giant party in the middle of a farmer's field...LOTS of music, and LOTS of partying and a completely BC/Vancouver experience (since most everyone that goes seems to be from Vancouver!).

As for Vancouver Island - Port Alberni, Tofino, Ucquelet, etc. can't be beat for outdoors, wilderness...Long Beach for endless walks on the beach and amazing waves...

You can hit Whistler/Pemberton for a few days. Great hiking, mountain biking, rafting, etc. Whistler also has a rocking night scene - especially on the weekends. It's Vancouver residents weekend playground and HOPS on Friday and Saturday nights.

Old May 26th, 2007, 09:53 PM

Gotta agree with camelback. Tofino in August will have you @ss to @ss with American tourists. Nothing real about it.
If you want the real BC experience, you will have to dig deeper than page one of your guidebook.
Old May 27th, 2007, 09:30 AM

I dunno Grega---I'd still head for Tofino. It's got hiking heaven everywhere (We just spent a week there) and it's not going to be more crowded than say The Bay area from which you hail; relatively speaking. Sure, night-life is limited but thats the trade-off.
BTW: The Gallopping Goose bike-trail in Victoria was a blast.
Alsi, Another FYI: Downtown Banff is under major/major construction until October; as is Lake Louise. Jasper w/ less people, is more our speed anyway and that was perfectly ideal.

Now if you really want an &quot;untouristy&quot; place w/ maximum night-life then you need to go to Iceland but that's an entirely different story...
Regards,
pete
Old May 27th, 2007, 10:04 AM

Yeah, don't come to BC for the nightlife. Only Vancouver has any amount of &quot;great nightlife&quot;, and I suppose Whistler has its pub scene. But outside of those two places, you're going to find a few pubs and a nightclub or two, but nothing that would be defined as &quot;great&quot;.
Old May 27th, 2007, 10:04 AM

And I agree, even Vancouver's nightlife can be underwhelming.
Old May 31st, 2007, 12:46 PM

If time permits the drive from Vancouver to Lake Louise is awesome...the most wonderful scenery to be seen anywhere. Absolutely beautiful. You could fly home out of Calgary if you wanted or loop back to Vancouver by going north of Lake Louise and back over to Vancouver
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 09:36 AM

Check out the Queen Charlotte Islands - beautiful scenery, great people, fantastic fishing, wonderful beaches for beachcombing, hiking is amazing, birdwatching, sea-kayaking. It is a true B.C. experience!

Best Regards,
Julia
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 02:22 PM

The Merritt Mountain Music Festival is held July 12-15, &quot;A party so big... only a mountain can hold it!&quot;

See: www.mountainfest.com
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 09:15 PM

I very much doubt that anyone looking for '<i>nightlife</i>' is interested in the cowboy hatted beer gutted redneck morons who infest drunkups like the Merrit Cowboy Festival.