Search

The Post or Moraine Lake Lodge?!?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2006, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Post or Moraine Lake Lodge?!?

Please help--

My wife and I are going to be celebrating our 10 year anniversary with a trip to the Canadian Rockies. We've allocated 2 days to the Lake Louise area and are trying in vain to narrow down our options. The Fairmont is really not our style, so we've decided either the Post or the MLL---but which one to choose? The reviews at trip advisor appear to tout both places as great. We could really use some advise from those who have stayed at one (or both) of these fine places. Thanks.

Brian
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 04:46 PM

Brian,

I don't know if you've seen the thread entitled "Happy wife, happy life? Not at the Post Hotel" but that will give you a pretty clear picture of my opinion of the place.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 06:07 PM

If you trust others opinons at all you will know that ther is one in every crowd. Ignore the ONE person who doesnt like the Post and wants everyone to know about it. When are you going? Both of these are lovely. Do you like to hike for the day and enjoy ultimate tranquility you might want to check out Lake Ohara Lodge. you have to book well in advance but it is a real gem too.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 07:07 PM

irecommend,

I had thought the purpose of this site was to enable travellers to gather information, then weigh up the positive and negative, to help them make decisions. Reading Brian's posting, especially the bit that says "we could really use some advice from those who have stayed at one (or both) of these fine places" I can't help but think that Brian wants some advice from those who have stayed at one (or both) of these places. I'm sure Brian will hear, and has already heard, plenty of good things about the Post. He may even stay there and have a wonderful time. That does not alter the fact that my experience of the place was not good. Brian deserves to hear about that, and in my opinion, a hotel that does not bother to acknowledge a complaint four and a half months after it was made deserves for everyone else to hear about it.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 08:03 PM

Have stayed at the Post and recommend it highly--more importantly, my wife loved the place (guess we had better luck than Paul H). Moraine Lake is spectacular, so Moraine Lake Lodge has the edge in the "best location" category. Another option you may want to check out is Baker Creek Chalets (have stayed there several times) which is about 7 miles south of Lake Louise. Both the dining room at the Post and the restaurant at Baker Creek have great food--we prefer the restaurant at Baker Creek since it has a less formal and more relaxed atmosphere.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 06:37 AM
ltt

what time of year are you going? during high season, there will be lots of tour buses and cars up visiting mll. but it is a beautiful spot. i'd ask specifically for a room as far from the parking lot as possible.
based on the reviews i've read, i also look forward to staying at the post hotel. i think you do hear the train at this location if that is a concern to you.
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 08:22 AM

The Post Hotel is one of my favorite places. Request the preferred side of the hotel(you may pay extra for this-but worth it) and you'll listen to the babbling brook at night with your balcony doors wide open. The other side faces the parking lot and train.
My other STRONG recommendation is to eat at the Baker Creek Chalet Restaurant!!! Wonderful.