Reload this Page >

The drive from Revelstoke to Hope

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 11:17 AM
alan

We intend to drive from Revelstoke to Hope in one day. Along the way we will need a stop both for a "stretch" and to see something time consuming and interesting. Any suggestions for a meaningful stop along the way??? <BR>What does Kamloops have to offer?

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 01:43 PM
gary

I hope you are considering taking the Fraser Canyon route, (#1) rather than the Coquihalla Freeway, (#5). The scenery is great and if you want to do some White Water Rafting the area from Spences Bridge to Lytton has a number of rafting opportunities. <BR> <BR>Kamloops doesn't really have anything special that would make a 1-3 hr 'stretch' stop worthwhile - I'd save it for the Rafting or, if that's not your thing, take the Hell's Canyon tour just north of Boston Bar, (or is it south?). You didn't say when you were going or if you were travelling with kids but if you're going in October the Adams River Salmon run near Chase and Salmon Arm is very interesting and Kids may find the Three Valley Gap village or the Kamloops Wildlife Park and zoo worth a try.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 03:26 PM
Robyn

Back in 1993 my family did the hope to Revelstoke drive all in one day. It took us about 8 hours. We did use the Coquihalla because it's really the only highway where you can go 110km/h (ie: it's fast). But if you want to save a few hours, you have to sacrifice scenery. And that's where you have to choose between taking the scenic route, or the fast though boring route. <BR> <BR>Personally, I'd go from Hope down the Coquihalla anyway. But when you get to Merritt, instead of continuing to Kamloops (where in reality there's not much for the tourist) take the connector 97C to Kelowna instead. That way you'll get to experience driving through the Okanagan along the lakeside, and you'll pass through BC's largest fruit-growing region and wine-producing region. You could stop in Kelowna, westbank, Vernon, or any of these Okanagan cities. It's definitely much more scenic than Kamloops (in my opinion, not to knock Kamloops). <BR> <BR>From Kelowna, drive north along Hwy 97 (aka: 97A) through Vernon, and through the towns of Armstrong and Endery. <BR> <BR>If you want another stop, try to stop and visit the town of Armstrong. I thought the old fashioned buildings were cute, and it's also home to the "Armstrong Cheese Factory". <BR> <BR>The next town from Sicamous (the largest house-boat community in BC). The next town after Sicamous is Revelstoke. <BR> <BR>I'm not sure how long this would take you, but it's definitely doable in one day. And it's much more scenic, and there will be many more places to stop off than if you were to take Hwy 1 the entire way.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 04:29 PM
gary

sorry Robyn, for one of the very few times I disagree. First, for what it's worth, Alan is talking of traveling west, not east. Second - while the Okanogan is a great place to stay for a family vacation it's hardly an interesting 'drive through' with it's proliferation of tacky tourist traps - sort of a northern Florida Keys. <BR> <BR>The Fraser Canyon on the other hand is quite beautiful and interesting even if you don't stop. I would not argue with a detour to Armstrong as a possible diversion but I would still head back up to the Trans Canada for the return portion. As for the Coquihalla - FECH!!! It's strictly for those who want to make fast time.