suggestions plz

Aug 13th, 2004, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

suggestions plz

Hi,
We are planning a car trip form CA to Banff NP to Glacier National Prk (montana) and finaly yellow stone NP.
We'll be leaving on the 15th of Sept.
15th Sept(early morning) - CA to WA. overnight stay.(11hrs)
16th sept (early morning)- WA to Vancouver(BC) . (5hrs)(overnight stay with some sightseeing in Vancouver.
17th Sept- Van to Lake Louis - On the way visit YoHo NP. planning to keep lake luis as the Base.
18th Sept- Drive to Jasper National park get back to Lake Louis for overnight stay (please suggest if we shld think of staying at Jasper.)
19th Sept- Sightseeing at Bnff NP
20th sept- Lake Louis and / Moraine lake.
21st Sept -checkout and leave for Montana.(12hrs)
22ndSept-23rd Sept - sightseeing at the Glacier NP
24th Sept - leave for yellow stone NP(9hrs)
24th-25 Sept - sightseeing at Yellow stone NP.
26th leave for CA
Well i would like to know if 3 days would be enough at BNP and also if u could suggest some "must see" sights at BNP. and some good restaurants in the area..
thanx ,
Aug 13th, 2004, 12:26 PM
BAK

That's an awful lot of driving, with not a lot of staying put and enjoying where you are.

And driving in the mountains takes longer than regular freeway driving.

It's a long drive from Vancouver to Lake Louise, especially if you want to stop and see things. So plan to leave early in the morning, and youmight find that picnics outdoors give you a nice way to enjoy the scenery without giving up too much time.

I'd skip Jasper. Just go north from Banff / Lake Louise as far as the Columbia Icefields, and then turn around and head back south to Banff / Lake Louise.

Banff is a real town, withlots of restaurants, stores, gelleries, and a museum. Lake Louise is more like just a collection of hotels and so I think Banff is better for walking around after dinner, etc. Butyou might like to just enjoy the hotel, so that's really a personality thing.

BAK

Aug 13th, 2004, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanx BAK,
yeah it is a lot of driving. we'll be leaving early morning maybe around 7:00 or so .I guess that'll be fine.
Aug 13th, 2004, 04:12 PM

Personally, I would recommend staying a few days in Vancouver, a day in Whistler over to Vancouver Island to Victoria for a day and back to Seattle by ferry. Less driving, lots of mountains, marine landscapes, relaxation, good eating and great shopping.
Aug 13th, 2004, 06:15 PM
Engaged

It would depend on your tastes. I lived in Vancouver, Banff, and Jasper, and have a parent at either end of your journey so have made the drive too many times.

Vancouver is gorgeous. Bike around the seawall at English Bay and Stanley Park. The drive to Lake Louise will be a really long one from Van, and very wild. Trees and mountains and more of each - with the odd mountain goat if you're lucky. Stop at Golden for fudge to recharge. If you are driving in the mountains while the sun is setting you're in for an amazing display of colour you would never have expected from light reflecting off of rock.

Jasper is what Banff used to be (fairly undiscovered), and is a small two-bar town with a great gondola, some hostels and hotels, a grocery store, and great outdoor adventure. Hours away from anything else, kind of a "getaway". But beautiful. At least 3 1/2 to 4 hours from Banff. The Columbia icefields are easy access, just follow the tour buses. In my whole time in the area that is the only road along which I ever saw a bear.

Banff, the town, is simply commercial. It is a fun little 3-story town over-run with huge Japanese tour buses (even the street signs are in Japanese) and born-too-late hippie locals. This being said - it is in the middle of a little mountain paradise, best seen from the top of Sulphur Mountain gondola, or explored among the masses of tourists on Main Street. The Buffalo Paddock (both the underground pub and actual wildlife area) are great. The splurge restaurant is the Grizzly house. The hikes are endless.
Lake Louise is breathtaking and the hike to the Tea House is mandatory if you are blessed with the health.

Good luck with your trip and email me for any other questions!

Aug 13th, 2004, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Hi HogtownJim and Engaged,
thanx for all ur suggestions..I've been planning for this rip for the past 4 days ..it really is overwhelming and a bit confusing at the same time as i really dont want to miss out on something ..
At the moment i'm trying to find some good accomodations in MOntana..
thanx again ,
Aug 13th, 2004, 08:42 PM

Hello Canada_trip,

Your itinerary sounds intense to me, but if you really have set your heart on driving through the mountain parks, you could consider splitting up the 17th September - 20th September period like this:

Fri 17th Sept - Drive from Vancouver to Lake Louise. Keep in mind you?ll lose an hour when you cross from the Pacific to the Mountain Time Zone between Revelstoke and Golden. If you have the time, follow the side roads to Emerald Lake and Takakkaw Falls, before and after the town of Field respectively.

Sat 18th Sept - Explore the Moraine Lake and Lake Louise area. Do one of the half-day hikes, e.g., Lake Agnes Teahouse or Plain of Six Glaciers from Lake Louise or Larch Valley from Moraine Lake. The colour of the larch trees should be pretty. If you don?t like hiking, take the gondola up Mount Whitehorn at Lake Louise. By doing this you will be alternating driving days with non-driving days, which I think would be a good way of doing it. If you were too short of time to see Emerald Lake and Takakkaw Falls on the previous day, you could squeeze them in on this day.

Sun 19th Sept - Drive as far up the Icefields Parkway towards Jasper townsite as you feel comfortable, drive back to Lake Louise, then head on over to Banff townsite for the night. You may only get as far as the Columbia Icefields but, if you like getting up early and driving as much as you appear to do, you may make it all the way to Jasper townsite. The lookout over Peyto Lake is a must see on that drive.

Mon 20th Sept - Explore Banff townsite?s environs. Walk into Johnston Canyon, at least to the Lower Falls or, better still, keep going to the Upper Falls. If you enjoy hiking, keep going up the forestry track till the Ink Pots. Return to Banff townsite and consider taking the gondola up Sulphur Mountain. This would be another opportunity to alternate a day of driving with a day that would require very little driving.

Tue 2st Sept - Drive to Montana. I?m guessing you know that will take less than half of 12 hours. I?m assuming you mentioned 12 hours to account for the stuff you would stop to see along the way.

In Vancouver sunrise will be about 6.50 a.m. and sunset about 7.20 p.m. In Lake Louise and Banff sunrise will be around 7.20 a.m. and sunset around 7.40 p.m.

Hope that helps.