Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Staying at either Pan Pacific or Fairmont

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 12:53 PM
yyy

My husband and I are staying at either the Pan Pacific or the Fairmont for a few nights coming up this month. We are wondering how far away there is good shopping. I understand the "Gaslight" area is close by. What kind of shopping is located here? I have heard about Robson Street - what kind of shopping is located here? I have never been to Vancouver, and am just trying to figure out in my head where things are. Thanks!

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 03:42 PM
yyy

Oops, I meant Gastown!!! Where I live there is a Gaslight restaurant, and I got them confused. . . .

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 07:22 PM
Bonnie

To appreciate the beauty of Vancouver I would stay at the Pan Pacific. It's a beautiful hotel on the water with a view of the mountains. Don't plan to spend too much (if any)time in Gastown. The Fairmont (formerly the Hotel Vancouver) is a former Canadian Pacific Hotel with means it is a landmark, larger style hotel. It's on Georgia St. within walking distance of Robson and near the Pacific Centre (underground shopping). Plan to spend some time in Yaletown, Granville Island, South Granville (between Broadway and 16th Avenue). Haven't stayed at either so maybe you will find a posting from someone who has. They are two different experiences. Is the Four Seasons Hotel an option for you? It's attached to the Pacific Centre & they'll drive you any place in the downtown area. I enjoyed staying there.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 04:29 AM
yyy

We were considering the Four Seasons too. I had a feeling we wouldn't spend much time in Gastown just from the description of what is there. I will look into the locations you suggested. Thanks!

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 04:32 AM
yyy

Does anyone know anything about the Fairmont Waterfront. Is that close to the Pan Pacific? Is it a new or older hotel. Thanks in advance.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 01:57 PM
gary

The Fairmont Waterfront is about 12 years old and very, very nice although not quite up to the standards of the Pan Pacific. It is right accross the street from it though, (and therefore from the Cruise Ship Terminal and the entrance to Gastown), and will hasve some terrific views from it's higher North side rooms.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 07:11 PM
Bonnie

Walked into the Waterfront Hotel after lunch at the Pan Pacific and it was a lovely hotel...but definitely not as unique a style of the Pan Pacific. Have you tried the Hotel Rants and Raves on this site? I'm curious what people have to say about the hotels you're considering.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 11:36 AM
Ken

Just to clear up any confusion. There are two Farimont hotels in downtown Vancouver - the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver on Georgia and the Fairmont Waterfront at Canada Place. The Hotel Vancouver is a "character" hotel, almost as old as the City of Vancouver but still an upscale hotel. It is located in the middle of downtown and only 2 blocks from Robson Street where a lot of serious shopping can be done. The Waterfront hotel is fairly new and is also an upscale hotel. It is obviously at the waterfront, also located in downtown core area, with a super view of the harbour. The Pan Pacific, Fairmont Waterfront, and Four Seasons (plus 1 more but can't remember) are all rated as 5 star hotels.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 01:46 PM
gary

Actually the Fairmont Waterfront is only 4 Diamonds(AAA). The Pan Pacific, Four Seasons and Sutton Place are 5 and the difference is apparent if you've stayed at both.<BR><BR>Also the Hotel Vancouver was started in 1930 but not completed until 1939 because of the depression so it's not quite as old as vancouver and it has been renovated many times since then including a major one a couple of years ago.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 05:13 PM
lagirl

Although it doesn't have the same ocean views, we've stayed at the Sutton Place and found it to be once of the nicest hotels we've stayed in. The decor is very elegant and the atmosphere is much more intimate than the other hotels All of the staff made an effort to know our names. Location is also excellent - right off of Robson Street. Also, there is a great bar in the hotel that is a "haunt" of stars visiting or filming in the city.