Icefields parkway

Search

Icefields parkway

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icefields parkway

We are going to this area during the first 2 weeks of August. It seems there is so much to do between Jasper and Lake Louise that we can't figure out the best place to stay as a base to do it all. Or does anyone have recommendations of a place to stay in the middle - we don't want anyplace that's barely a step above camping, but it doesn't have to be fancy either.
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 10:55 AM

You have identified one of the problems for the tourist associated with the parkway. I can list 3 places to stay, all with liabilities.

Num ti jeh Lodge. Pricey and not that far from Lake Louise. Staying there does not give you much of a headstart the following morning.

The Icefield Chalet. Located at the Icefields Center, this hotel is ideally situated for late afternoon arrival with the intent of taking the ride on the glacier the following morning.
The downside: expensive. Other than that, big rooms, good location.

The Crossing. Located at the place where the David Thompson Highway joins the Icefields Parkway, the Crossing is a small settlement with gas station, restaurant, gift shop and motel.

As a motel it is not nearly as expensive as the other two places, but the rooms are not as nice either.
We stayed there a few years ago and the bed was comfortable. If you are headed north, it is an easy drive to the Icefields Center for a morning glacier ride.

Those are the 3 places I know about. I think of the 3 the Icefields Chalet is the best located but it is also expensive. The Crossing is a good compromise. Nothing is outstanding, but my recall is that nothing was awful, either.
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 11:05 AM
ltt

i wouldn't plan on staying in the middle, just get up real early and head off. in august the days are nice and long.
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 11:27 AM

Travelerwife, I don't know if we've understood your question. I don't get the impression you're talking about a midway point at which to spend a single night.

When I re-read your question, you seem to be asking about a central place in which you can base yourself for 2 weeks. That really isn't feasible, in my opinion.

It would be better to split your 2 weeks between 2 locations, e.g., Jasper townsite and Lake Louise. You might even consider splitting your time amongst 3 locations, e.g., Jasper townsite, somewhere in Yoho National Park, and Banff townsite / Canmore.

Please feel free to let us know if we're off beam.
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Judy in Calgary, I think you hit the nail on the head. I feel like I should split it up. Any suggestions for Yoho National park? So far I'm getting good info.
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 11:49 AM

For Yoho what is your budget?
I stay there in Field, and have plans to do so in July as I did last year.

Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Just say we don't have a budget! While we do not want to have to pay $200 a night and more, we definitely do not want to camp or stay in anyplace that is substandard in its plumbing, cleanliness, or upkeep. We'd prefer to have TV and phones, but do not need resort amenities.
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 01:33 PM

In that case try Emerald lake Lodge or Cathderal Mountain Chalets or Kicking Horse Lodge.