St. John, NB ?

Old May 6th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. John, NB ?

Someone told me she visited St John NB and didn't think it was a pretty spot? Was she wrong? (planning a trip) Thanks!
Old May 6th, 2008, 09:39 AM
BAK

I can't comeup with a long list of things to do there -- go to the market, see the reversing falls, wander around the harbour, try to find a lobster or two.

But it's on the way to Fundy Park, a very nice place, and it's on the way to Fredericton, a small city with a good art gallery, and it's on the way to Moncton, where you could go to Victoria Park and look across the street at the house I used to live in, ...

I certainly would not plan a vacation in St. John with a week's worth of hotel rooms, but it's worth a day on a Maritimes tour.

BAK
Old May 8th, 2008, 10:36 AM
ltt

that is one place i would never return to. the reversing falls were a disappointment and i didn't see much else there of interest. fundy national park is gorgeous and i hear frederickton or moncton are better cities to stop in.
Old May 8th, 2008, 12:05 PM

Stopped there for a few hours while on the QEII - no what I'd call pretty - everyone was very friendly though.

Old May 8th, 2008, 02:24 PM

First time I passed through there and it was raining, quite dreary. But I was back there on business for a couple of weeks a few years ago, and it wasn't so bad. I actually enjoyed it. I don't know that I'd go out of my way to stay there, but there are nice areas nearby. St. Andrews isn't far and that's a lovely area.
Old May 10th, 2008, 07:17 PM

When are you going? Where are you coming from?

They do have a summer festival and music and waterfront activities.

It is not a pretty spot. More like an old port city. You can almost visualize the sailors that might have habituated the downtown area. It is often foggy.

Having said that if you are passing through you may find it to be interesting and as I have visited there many a time the Hilton hotel downtown is quite nice. and there are some excellent restaurants.
Another great area and one of Canadas hidden gems lies just a few miles out of town. Rothesay is a very well to do and established community that is on the Kennebecasis River and it is very pretty. There is a great B&B there called Shadowlawn.
Old May 12th, 2008, 07:14 PM

To me, Saint John does have an industrial and a "grey" feel to it. However, it is worth spending some time there when you are in the region. I enjoyed my time there, even though I prefer Fredericton and Halifax to Saint John.

Amongst the highlights for me were:

- handsome historic brick buildings on King Street and uptown Saint John.
- Market Square
- Carleton Martello Tower.