Search

St Andrew by the sea

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2008, 12:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St Andrew by the sea

Hello
I shall be staying at the Fairmont Hotel in St Andrew by the sea in the Bay of Fundy, August 2008.
Anyone who could give me some tips, advises and suggestions on what to do with my partner and 13-year-old daughter ?
Thanks to all
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 06:25 AM

Besides the obvious Hopewell Rocks, be sure to have Sunday brunch at the Fairmont - lovely!

Great to go kayaking at some point to work off those extra calories...LOL! There's a kayak rental & guide outfit right on the waterfront. If it's calm out you should have no problems paddling on your own around Navy Island or if you prefer you can take a guided tour.

Enjoy-la!
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 12:21 PM
LJ

If you have a few days, you may want to take a side trip to St. Stephen/Calais...there is a chocolate factory that has a great tour. Also, if you have not yet checked out the New Brunswick Tourism website, you can order a guide to the area from them.
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 01:16 PM

The Huntsman Marine Science Centre Aquarium/Museum features exhibits about local marine and freshwater environment. Check out http://www.standrewsnb.ca/standrews.htm for lots of other suggestions.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 07:00 AM

Whale watching is a possibility: http://www.townsearch.com/quoddylink/

There's a great golf course just across the street:
http://www.fairmontgolf.com/courses/...0,4,13,157,158

Old Feb 11th, 2009, 12:02 PM

Hi - There is plenty to do in St Andrews by-the-Sea, as others have said. At the top of my list is Kingsbrae Garden [Fodor's Choice attraction, and one of New Brunswick's Top Ten], just a few steps from the Fairmont Algonquin hotel. 27 magnificent acres, with loads of interesting things for the whole family. Everyone loves the alpacas, peacocks and pygmy goats... there are treasure hunts, croquet and bocce ball in front of a great Cafe with a stunning view of the sea [Passamaquoddy Bay]... a real Dutch windmill, cedar maze, plus over 50,000 perennials... amazing! Then the town itself is a National Historic District, so it's great for walking, on a little peninsula sticking out into the Bay - water views abound. Little museums, great shopping, fabulous food - if you love good food, the Rossmount Inn is the best place for dinner! The Kingsbrae Garden Cafe is lovely for lunch or afternoon tea, and there are all levels of dining in town. The town has a new website: standrewsbythesea.ca. I could go on, but you'll see it all when you arrive!
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 05:18 AM

My 14-year-old son and I had a fabulous time on a short local sidetrip to Ministers Island, which you can drive to across the ocean floor at low tide (quite the experience) or go on a small boat that travels back and forth from the mainland (about a 3 to 5 minute trip by boat).

The Island holds the 1890s home of railway millionaire Sir William Van Horne - and while it is not in any way up to the restoration standards of many historic sites, it is a fascinating , mammoth building to walk through.

There are other sites on the island, which tour guides take you to in golf carts. in 1890. There are outbuildings, gorgeous meadows and other things to see.

Here's the link:
http://www.new-brunswick.net/new-bru...and/enter.html